*** The Official Playstation 4 (PS4) Thread ***

Soldato
So what's the next big game you guys are hankering for?

Just some I'm interested in that should be out in the next few months:

- Dying Light
- The Order: 1886
- Project CARS
- Witcher 3
- Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin
- Bloodborne
- Battlefield Hardline (not sure this deserves to be on the list as it's effectively just a BF4 expansion)

Soldato
The only reason a vast majority of people wanted it (from what I see in the UK anyway) was to flip it straight away on eBay.

I don't know why I'm justifying myself here, but I wanted one because it represents a piece of gaming history, I'm a massive Playstation fan and have been since December 1995 when my mum surprised me with one for Christmas after saying she couldn't afford one.

They are a limited production run of 12,300 in the whole world, I'm going to say that this will always hold some value if I was to sell it in the years ahead (I'm not going to use the joypad) as I don't want that to get tatty.

My mate was lucky enough to get one and its the same. I personally think unless someone offered me stupid money I wouldn't give it away.

Soldato
Is the plan actually needed here?

Mine was bought within 360 days, and I wouldn't mind the extra 2 years for that price and a low hassle swap.

But I see people online saying it's not needed here and other regulations protect it :confused:

Caporegime
Is the plan actually needed here?

Mine was bought within 360 days, and I wouldn't mind the extra 2 years for that price and a low hassle swap.

But I see people online saying it's not needed here and other regulations protect it :confused:

A topic of huge debate that confuses the average consumer. So much so that most people just buy the extra cover for a "quick" resolution, should a problem arise.

Technically you are covered for 6 years from purchase for UK, 5 years from purchase in Scotland and 2 years from purchase in most of the rest of the EU.

However, for a long time it was 1 year. As a result of this the companies (and law) make it harder for you to claim after year 1. In the sense the burden is on you to prove that the item was faulty at the point of manufacture (you would not really need to argue this in year 1).

It's no coincidence that they offer this in the UK and not elsewhere in the EU (imo) at present. In EU courts bigger companies (read Apple) got in a lot of trouble for selling the same insurance (covers you for year 2 and 3 of your purchase). So as a result Apple clearly state that you get 2 years Apple warranty in the EU and only 1 in the UK (although they do go into small print explaining the 6 year rule).

There is a lot more detail, but I have covered the gist, it's a bit of a scam, but most people are uninformed or lazy so will buy it (I probably would as well if my PS4 was from UK!! :) )

rp2000

Soldato
Thanks.

So basically, after one year, while technically it is still covered. I will probably have to argue with them over it. Where as if I get the cover, I just get a no hassle swap.

So I guess it comes down to a convenience issue. Is £49 for two years cover, worth the convenience of a quick swap if it goes wrong, rather than arguing with them.

Caporegime
Thanks.

So basically, after one year, while technically it is still covered. I will probably have to argue with them over it. Where as if I get the cover, I just get a no hassle swap.

So I guess it comes down to a convenience issue. Is £49 for two years cover, worth the convenience of a quick swap if it goes wrong, rather than arguing with them.

Yep, pretty much. And no matter what people say, you will have to argue. The retailer will fob you off to a head office, then you need to send recorded letters, make note of all correspondences and then possibly provide an engineers report, at your cost (and time!)

For most people who have the disposable income to buy a PS4, expensive games and expensive accessories, their time is worth more than the £49 outlay for 2 years (and Sony/big companies know this ;) )

Edit: 2 minor points
1) A very similar scheme used to run for PS2 or PS3. I think it got abused and shut down (my memory may be playing tricks on me though)
2) *The legal bit: Introductory offer valid until 31 March 2015. Regular price of £70 will apply after this date until 30 September 2015. Prices stated apply to 24-month protection plan.

rp2000

Last edited:
Soldato
Yep, pretty much. And no matter what people say, you will have to argue. The retailer will fob you off to a head office, then you need to send recorded letters, make note of all correspondences and then possibly provide an engineers report, at your cost (and time!)

For most people who have the disposable income to buy a PS4, expensive games and expensive accessories, their time is worth more than the £49 outlay for 2 years (and Sony/big companies know this ;) )

Edit: 2 minor points
1) A very similar scheme used to run for PS2 or PS3. I think it got abused and shut down (my memory may be playing tricks on me though)
2) *The legal bit: Introductory offer valid until 31 March 2015. Regular price of £70 will apply after this date until 30 September 2015. Prices stated apply to 24-month protection plan.

rp2000

Thanks. I'll probably get the 2 years for the introductory price after Christmas then. £49 for two years of cover is worth not having the hassle.

The one that got shut down was extended play. It was not like this (pay X for X years).

It was a subscription thing. You paid X per month, if it broke, instant swap. People were simply waiting for their console to break. Taking out the cover, then claiming the console broke, replacement, then cancel.

Caporegime
The one that got shut down was extended play. It was not like this (pay X for X years).

It was a subscription thing. You paid X per month, if it broke, instant swap. People were simply waiting for their console to break. Taking out the cover, then claiming the console broke, replacement, then cancel.
Ah yes, you're right!!!
So no one who bought at launch can buy this, great plan sony :rolleyes: could have brought it out a month ago Ffs

You should be OK though no? Didn't you buy 6, then sell them to idiots, then make enough money to buy one for yourself for "free"? Surely that took a month or so so you are within the 360 day limit for the one you bought for "free"? I mean possibly the 6 people who got your launch day ones may be a bit upset, but you should be laughing right? You got a "free" console and got to laugh at idiots. Can't put a price on that.

rp2000

Back
Top Bottom