*** The Official Playstation 4 (PS4) Thread ***

Soldato
So I treated my self to a PS4 for xmas, been enjoying it all in all but I have one major issue I'd like some input on...

internet connectivity...

I originally had it setup via wireless, all was fine until I actually tried to download something, a 1.5GB file took something stupid like an hour and 15 mins to complete, took a look in the connection test and it said I was running 11mb/s down 2mb/s up....my connection is 76mb/s down 20mb/s up, every other wireless device I have hits at least 40/20. So sod it, i'll move it over to ethernet....which proceeded to give me 26/4 wtf???

Has anyone hit any issues like this before? Router is a HH3 (which I've been reading has some flaws with regards to keeping ports open) and every other device, wireless or wired runs flawlessly...apart from the PS4.

I tried to play GTAV online, was met by a series of loading screens followed by being kicked for time out.

NAT type is 2, which I gather is what it should be while connected to a router.

Soldato
Any suggestions as to what games to pick up?

Got a PS4 over Christmas with The Last Of Us and thoroughly enjoyed it. However there's not much else which jumps out at me at the moment. Open to most genres except sports, driving and beat em ups. Also I've already played GTA V (loved) and Diablo 3 (didn't like).

Cheers!

Soldato
Hi all.

Haven't used my PS4 for about 6 months although still paying for PS+.

If I log on tonight, will I be able to d/l the free games that I've missed or are they only free for a limited time?

Quite like to give Binding of Isaac a go.

Cheers.

You should just go online to the psn site once a month and "buy" the games . They are there then when you do decide to use your console.

I did this when the ps4 first came out . I had an existing ps+ sub with my ps3 but I knew i'd be getting a ps4 at some point . So logged on pc and just added ps4 freeibies to my account as they came up. 6 months later I got my ps4 and downloaded all the free stuff from previous months :)

Caporegime
You should just go online to the psn site once a month and "buy" the games . They are there then when you do decide to use your console.

I did this when the ps4 first came out . I had an existing ps+ sub with my ps3 but I knew i'd be getting a ps4 at some point . So logged on pc and just added ps4 freeibies to my account as they came up. 6 months later I got my ps4 and downloaded all the free stuff from previous months :)

Clever!

Soldato
Not sure if my PS4 is right or not as ive never had any experience of one before but when gaming mine is quite loud is that normal? I know loudness is subjective but I couldn't watch tv or a film without putting the volume up above normal levels, I've just changed the thermal paste on my ps3 again as that got loud and its now idling 20C lower and is silent in comparison

Soldato
Not sure if my PS4 is right or not as ive never had any experience of one before but when gaming mine is quite loud is that normal? I know loudness is subjective but I couldn't watch tv or a film without putting the volume up above normal levels, I've just changed the thermal paste on my ps3 again as that got loud and its now idling 20C lower and is silent in comparison

depends on the game, and whether its digital or not. most of the noise i hear is the disc spinning.

Soldato
Disc games still fully install. Once the initial install is complete the drive will read the disc on game start and then go silent after a short time.

Some games on mine make the fan ramp up to quiet noticeable levels.

Associate
Hi all.

Haven't used my PS4 for about 6 months although still paying for PS+.

If I log on tonight, will I be able to d/l the free games that I've missed or are they only free for a limited time?

Quite like to give Binding of Isaac a go.

Cheers.

You can log into Playstation store and purchase them each month without even having to start the PS4 up and pick when to download when you want.

Soldato
Try adding your PS4 to the DMZ on the router. It's in the Firewall settings.

Cheers, tried adding to dmz, set a static ip, disabled enhanced upnp protection, same story, 26/4 speeds, a speed test via the browser netted me around 34/7 so something is a miss I would say, no other device on the network runs so poorly.

Just downloaded a 400mb update for the last of us, took around 20mins!!

Will have to look in to another router as I just don't trust this home hub.

Soldato
cant comment as I use lan, but I heard before I bought mine that the PS4 had seriously flakey wifi, not sure if theres any truth in that or not? but I know my brother couldn't play fifa 15 without it dropping out until he got some powerlines

Soldato
Sorry...it's on lan now, it was previously on WiFi, Sat less than a meter from the router and faired even worse, speed testing at around 11/2...lan near doubled this but it still a long long way away from where it should be.

Associate
cant comment as I use lan, but I heard before I bought mine that the PS4 had seriously flakey wifi, not sure if theres any truth in that or not? but I know my brother couldn't play fifa 15 without it dropping out until he got some powerlines

I have my PS4 connected to the network via Wifi and the two instances were I have noticed this being a problem were:

1) Playing FIFA 15, connection to the easervers would drop now and then and FUT games would be very laggy. This would require that I go to my PS4 network settings and test connection before I could connect to the easervers again. It's hard to tell where the blame lies because everything on the PS4 side is seemingly normal, as in the connection is still active.

2) When preloading GTAV the download speed was terribly poor but again, this may be more the fault of heavy traffic on the day before launch.

That being said, my PS4 sits about 3 meters away from the router and the connection speeds are lower than my laptop or phone for example.

Soldato
Sorry...it's on lan now, it was previously on WiFi, Sat less than a meter from the router and faired even worse, speed testing at around 11/2...lan near doubled this but it still a long long way away from where it should be.

I have the same problem sometimes bud - think its certain connections like virgin that suffer from slow download speeds.

I'm on a 160MB connection and the PS4 download speeds are a joke in comparison to the rest of my kit.

Think someone here mentioned something about running a little utility which can cause the PSN to max out the speed. I think PSN has a lot to do with it too as its not the greatest for maxing out download speeds.

Soldato
I have the same problem sometimes bud - think its certain connections like virgin that suffer from slow download speeds.

I'm on a 160MB connection and the PS4 download speeds are a joke in comparison to the rest of my kit.

Think someone here mentioned something about running a little utility which can cause the PSN to max out the speed. I think PSN has a lot to do with it too as its not the greatest for maxing out download speeds.

Ah, it'd be a shame if it was down to psn, as it is I can't really game online with it (my record is around 20mins of gta before getting timed out). If so Sony really need to sort this out, as I'll look at a download size and ignore it knowing how long it takes or take the even easier route and just play it on my PC.

I seem to recall the ps3 having a lot more options in network settings and Ethernet port configuration then the ps4 has too?

Associate
Cheers, tried adding to dmz, set a static ip, disabled enhanced upnp protection, same story, 26/4 speeds, a speed test via the browser netted me around 34/7 so something is a miss I would say, no other device on the network runs so poorly.

Just downloaded a 400mb update for the last of us, took around 20mins!!

Will have to look in to another router as I just don't trust this home hub.

I have same problem as you, I'm on Sky fibre and Origin and Steam max out my line but PSN is dial up speeds :(

Soldato
Anyone recommend a headset that does surround sound and has a decent mic too?

Budget? I don't really think you can go wrong with a pair of Astro A40s Gamestop over Xmas did them on offer for £129 mixamp included which IMO is a superb deal, i've had mine for a while now albeit the wireless version and i love them in comparison to other headsets i've owned no interference either. That's without going into the audiophile discussion though as many people will suggest other headphones undoubtedly. The Astro mixamp is great and its very easy to set up.

Back
Top Bottom