*** The Official Playstation 4 (PS4) Thread ***

Soldato
It might just be my awful picture. They feel good to use, a tad slippery though being my only complaint. Other than that, great. No more peeling rubber.

The controller was easy to take apart. And put back together. I echo what people say about the touch pad. The ribbon has two ends, and can easily disconnect, on the other end. Bit of a fiddle to get it back to where it was.

Caporegime
OP
A 2TB 5200rpm 2.5" drive is almost as fast as a 1TB 7200rpm 2.5" due to the increased platter size. You would notice little difference in the real world.

Your using stupid examples.

3.5" drives are very cheap for large capacities therefore you should be comparing 7200rpm 3TB 3.5" drive with a 5400rpm 2TB 2.5" drive. The 3.5" drive has larger platters and spins faster.

the difference between the two would be HUGE, both the above should be similar costs I imagine.

but this is what you really should be looking at

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HD-292-SE&groupid=701&catid=14&subcat=1894

7200RPM hybrid drive, 1TB and only £63

you have 8gb cache but with a 7200rpm drive instead of the 5400rpm in the smaller hybrid drives, it's also cheaper than 2.5" drives, so more speed and costs less.

Soldato
In total? I watched about five minutes of a fifteen minute youtube video. Then took the controller apart, fitted the sticks and put it back together, which took roughly half an hour. But I had to take it apart again after fitting it back together as the backside ribbon cable for the touch pad came out and the touch pad didn't work :p

I'd say the whole thing is on an intermediate level of being tech savvy.

Soldato

3.5" drives are very cheap for large capacities therefore you should be comparing 7200rpm 3TB 3.5" drive with a 5400rpm 2TB 2.5" drive. The 3.5" drive has larger platters and spins faster.

the difference between the two would be HUGE, both the above should be similar costs I imagine.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HD-292-SE&groupid=701&catid=14&subcat=1894

you have 8gb cache but with a 7200rpm drive instead of the 5400rpm in the smaller hybrid drives, it's also cheaper than 2.5" drives, so more speed and costs less.

But you have to have a horrid thing stuck on your PS4 to use it.

What I was saying is a 2TB 2.5" drive is a better and neater option. You can get one for about £70 if you buy the usb drive and take it out. It fits nicely in the PS4 without any additional bulky adapters and offers decent performance similar to a 1TB 7200rpm drive with plenty of storage.

I think 2TB is plenty of storage at the moment for the PS4 even I have not filled it up and have nearly all the games launched so far.

Last edited:
Caporegime
But you have to have a horrid thing stuck on your PS4 to use it.

What I was saying is a 2TB 2.5" drive is a better and neater option. You can get one for about £70 if you buy the usb drive and take it out. It fits nicely in the PS4 without any additional bulky adapters and offers decent performance similar to a 1TB 7200rpm drive with plenty of storage.

I think 2TB is plenty of storage at the moment for the PS4 even I have not filled it up and have nearly all the games launched so far.

Completely agree, no idea what the chuff Psycho Sonny is rambling about with buying a 3.5" drive for a PS4... no-one in their right mind would do that over buying a 2.5" drive.

A 2.5" SSHD would be the ideal choice.

Soldato

+ £30 or whatever for the bulky thing to put it in

Soldato
Personally I would just stick the biggest and cheapest 2.5" drive in and not worry over the small speed increases some drives bring. In the real world a faster drive makes little noticeable difference.

I had an SSD in mine for a while and even that was nothing to get excited about tbh.

Soldato
If you grab a Seagate Expansion 2TB USB 3.0 Portable Hard Drive model STBX2000401 you can remove the 2TB drive from the enclosure and fit it into your PS4. You can then use the enclosure for your 500GB drive.

It is cheaper buying the drive as a USB external than the bare drive alone.

Soldato
If you grab a Seagate Expansion 2TB USB 3.0 Portable Hard Drive model STBX2000401 you can remove the 2TB drive from the enclosure and fit it into your PS4. You can then use the enclosure for your 500GB drive.

Soldato

exactly what I did, even managed to open the enclosure with my fingernails with no damage :) its actually not a bad enclose either, mine came with a samsung drive inside which i'm sure they all are? Think it was £59.99 if i remember correctly

Caporegime
OP
it's been proven hybrid drives are the best to go for in terms of speed and cost

the only downside to hybrids are the mechanical drives are only 5400rpm in the 2.5" drives so therefore 3.5" hybrid makes sense.

your saying you would never fill a 3TB, but it doesn't matter the cost of a 3TB 7200rpm 3.5" drive is the same as a 2TB 2.5" 5400rpm, that is why you would compare those 2 against each other, they cost the same yet one has more speed and more storage.

i've already explained before I haven't seen my console in months, it could look like chewbacca or the 8th wonder of the world and it wouldn't make any difference, i never look at it.

i have a window on the side of my pc case but I haven't bothered pimping it out with LED lights and all that jazz because I also never look at that in fact I cannot see the side because it's hidden away much like my console is.

if that add on is cheap enough - £20 ish, i'll be getting a 1TB 7200rpm hybrid drive, my current 500GB 5400rpm 2.5" hybrid drive will either go into the laptop or my pc

I don't like the idea of a large mechanical only 5400rpm 2.5" drive, if you want a 2.5" drive buy a hybrid IMO.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Personally I would just stick the biggest and cheapest 2.5" drive in and not worry over the small speed increases some drives bring. In the real world a faster drive makes little noticeable difference.

I had an SSD in mine for a while and even that was nothing to get excited about tbh.

I find it useful.

I load into the tower 5+ seconds quicker. I load into BF before everyone else meaning I can choose any vehicle I want.

On the stock drive I would load in and you would struggle to get any vehicle.

Soldato
Hybrids only have relatively small SSD drives built in so if you play an assortment of games this will constantly be being re-Written. Playing the same game over and over would see some benefit. You can also only get a 1TB hybrid at the moment.

I have tried them all inc Hybrid and SSD and tbh the difference is small. The SSD actually ended up being horrendous once it filled up a bit.

Personally I found a 1TB 7200rpm drive to give the best all round consistent results and the 2TB 5200rpm drive due to its increased platter size is almost the same performance wise but double the storage.

I'm always first on the map on BF4 with any drive I have tried but I have a very good internet connection so always put it down to that.

If you are happy strapping bulky 3rd party adapters to your PS4 then that's up to you. I think it looks horrid and to me seems pointless when you can get a 2tb 2.5" drive for under £70.

It really depends what you are after I suppose.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
All the tests show hybrid drives are the best all rounders. You just have your feelings to go on but the numbers are out there in spreadsheets online. Unless you timed all your drives.

Like I say I never see my console so I don't care if the add on looks hideous. To me a 3.5" hybrid drive looks perfect. You get the cache, you get large platter sizes, you get 7200rpm. They are also cheap compared to 2.5" hybrids.

I was saving up for an SSD, but this looks like a much better option.

Soldato
All the tests show hybrid drives are the best all rounders. You just have your feelings to go on but the numbers are out there in spreadsheets online. Unless you timed all your drives.

Like I say I never see my console so I don't care if the add on looks hideous. To me a 3.5" hybrid drive looks perfect. You get the cache, you get large platter sizes, you get 7200rpm. They are also cheap compared to 2.5" hybrids.

I was saving up for an SSD, but this looks like a much better option.

I never really saw the differences with either a hybrid or SSD tbh. You might gain an extra few seconds in load times but in the real world it's not noticeable.

I'm using a 2TB 5200rpm drive in mine now and was using an SSD before and have noticed no real loss in performance other than possibly marginally longer load times. but we are talking a few seconds at most in the worst case. It's really not noticeable unless you time everything with a stop watch.

Back
Top Bottom