*** The Official Playstation 4 (PS4) Thread ***

Associate
Ah I'm getting somewhere...... I've plugged my laptop in and received the same mode not supported error running at 1366 x 768 at 60Hz however I can get it to display on 1920 x 1080 at 50iHz is there a way to change it to this setting on the playstation?

Caporegime
OP
follow this guide

https://support.us.playstation.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5044/~/ps4:-safe-mode

change the res in safe mode to 400p or 480p which should be supported by 99% of tv's

once you have done that

https://support.us.playstation.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5046/~/change-ps4-video-settings

you can fiddle with it in there to find out what res's the tv actually supports

New TV if your monitor doesnt work - better check the firmware and if it supports HDCP over DVI(-I)

ps3ud0 :cool:

don't listen to this guy he doesn't have a clue about tv's which can be seen from the thread about game mode

basically the ps4 is outputting a signal your tv cannot display or scale, so you need to set it to one that it can display or scale

my guess is that it's probably only capable of displaying 720p, 720i or 1080i and not 1080p and the ps4 is set to display 1080p

Caporegime
And yet Im capable of being able to read enough thats hes already tried PS4s safe mode - Id highlight it for you but it might affect your reference level colour output

Caporegime
OP
Safe Mode Options
The following options are available in Safe Mode:

Restart System - Ends Safe Mode and restarts the PlayStation 4 normally.
Change Resolution - Changes the screen resolution to 480p when the PlayStation 4 is restarted.
Update System Software - Allows the PlayStation 4 to update the system software via Internet, USB Drive, or Disc.
Restore Default Settings - Restores the PlayStation 4 to the default factory settings.
Rebuild Database - Scans the drive and creates a new database of all content.
This operation may take a long time depending on the type and number of data items.
Initialize PS4 - IMPORTANT: All data and settings will be lost by performing this step.
Deletes all user data and restores the PS4 as if it just came out of the box. This option is the same as [Initialize PS4 ] in the (Settings) menu. System software (firmware) is not deleted.
Initialize PS4 (Reinstall System Software) - IMPORTANT: Deletes all information on the HDD, including the System Software. Click here to download the reinstallation version of PS4 system software.

He needs to select that option, should be pretty straightforward if he watches a youtube video and then copies the buttons needed to do that.

basically press down then x twice i imagine but a video will tell you exactly what you need to press to display 480p

green screen could also indicate a faulty hdmi cable so try ruling that out as well

Last edited:
Associate
Ah man so annoying that this didn't work either :( when i try to enter the safe mode it just goes between a green screen and 'no signal' error on my tv on my monitor (which is HDMI to DVI) i just get a fuzzy white screen.

I've followed this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylpW81K7Yuc and entered the commands blind to change it to 480p and the same issue occurred after a reboot.

Looking to be a new TV right now :(

Caporegime
OP
Ah man so annoying that this didn't work either :( when i try to enter the safe mode it just goes between a green screen and 'no signal' error on my tv on my monitor (which is HDMI to DVI) i just get a fuzzy white screen.

I've followed this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylpW81K7Yuc and entered the commands blind to change it to 480p and the same issue occurred after a reboot.

Looking to be a new TV right now :(

looking at the manual page 6

look at the supported resolutions looks like 720p and 1080i are supported but not 480p (unless it's 60hz) or 1080p

can you set it up to be 720p or 1080i using no screen output? or use another tv to get the combo down you need to press and the timing of the presses then try on the tv.

also try a different hdmi cable if you can as well as a different hdmi slot on the tv. on my old tv one of the hdmi slots was a bit iffy but the others worked fine.

Last edited:
Associate
I've got the LE19R88BD TV and that used to have the same issues with my 360. Would work with the pc at lower resolutions but not with a modern console. I solved it by getting a full 1080p tv in the end. Looks like you might have to do the same :(

On the bright side though, you can get a nice 23-24" tv for less than the LE19 cost you. :)

Caporegime
As I said new TV, green screen is indicative of a HDCP handshake issue which is why I advised a firmware upgrade. If that isnt available then your TV just isnt going to work with the PS4.

Associate
Thanks for the advice guys!

Unfortunately the a new TV would be extra expenditure as I was given the Samsung hence why I want to avoid buying a new one.

I'll try borrow my friends TV again today and update the PS4 and then disable HDCP and also write down the steps to change it to 720p to test changing it blind if that doesn't work.

If all fails I guess It'll be a new TV which I really want to avoid.

Caporegime
Are there any scaling/cropping settings in the PS4?

The monitor I have doesn't seem to have great aspect ratio control (It has 1:1, overscan and full. But overscan and full do the same thing, whereas I need one that would "crop"....)

As I have one of those 21:9 monitors. Gaming at 1:1 is normally fine, but well, look at the Order 1886.

10550826_10155290468315176_6188146652039100480_n.jpg

It has black bars all around it, so the image rendered is just a square in the middle of the screen. It's hilarious actually, as all it needs to do is "zoom" and it'd be a full picture :(

Associate
You're not going to bloody believe it!!

I've plugged the PS4 in to my friends TV which displays it on auto settings and installed the latest software update then disabled DHCP as recommended.

I then reboot the PS4 and record the steps I take to amend the device to 720p.

I get back to mine, repeat the steps taken to change resolution and no luck I then turn the console off and try booting in to safe mode but yet again the green screen appears.

I'm then on my last leg and thought the only other thing to try is to change the HDMI cable (kindly given a new 1mtr one from my friend) which voila magically displays the PS4 however I think the HDMI port on the TV is slightly dodgy as when moving the TV back in to position its flashes on and off.

Bit annoyed that the brand new HDMI cable supplied with the console has caused all of this faffing around but over the moon I can now play with it!

Thank you so much ps3ud0 and Psycho Sonny for your help you guys are awesome!!!

Back
Top Bottom