*** The Official Playstation 4 (PS4) Thread ***

Never thought I would but I've gone digital for my last 3 games , bloodbourne, project cars and witcher 3.
With cdkeys and the odd promotion with paypal it makes sense. Think I will need to get myself a 2tb hdd soon!

On that point does anyone know which Seagate portable drive has the spinpoint M9T inside its casing?
I have seen the Seagate plus slim at £74.99 which I think has it in, but I've also seen the Seagate Expansion drive which is cheaper at £64.99 ?

Thanks

Mine came out the seagate expansion portable drive.

no point buying a hybrid at that size they only have a 4-8GB cache.

so less than 1% of the data will be stored on the cache.

if you want a hybrid the best one to buy is the 500GB.

if your looking to buy a large drive then the best to buy is a mechanical one with the fastest RPM and largest platters possible.

if you don't care about the looks of your ps4 then buy the Nyko Data Bank from amazon.com. but beware someone will be along shortly to say how stupid it looks.

personally i tend to look a the tv not the ps4 but some people have some fascination about looking at their console constantly and admiring how it looks.

mine is in a av unit and i cannot see it because it's blocked from vision. when they are back in stock i'll likely buy one of them plus a very fast and large mechanical drive. the power comes directly from the wall socket in the data bank so you can use any drive you want. even a velociraptor which is extremely power hungry.
Think I go for a large Normal one. More interested in space atm.

I have just had a thought about a feature for the ps4. I know it would probably be a hit on the playstation now but what about a feature that if you have a PS3 you can remotely access it and play the content. Easy backward compatibility and the theory is there as that's pretty much what they are doing with their service.

I would have thought it was definitely possible. The vita does it as does the playstation TV. It basically renders on the source and transfers to the client via network. The principle eps pretty much the same with the share function.

There has been some great advances in remote access and functions with grid etc this is just a dedicated version of that.

Do you mean, the PS3 streams games to the PS4? Because that would be near impossible, PS3 doesn't have the grunt to do that on top of running games. I would imagine it works with PS Now is because while the games do run on PS3 hardware, there is most likely a man in the middle scenario with external hardware where the output is captured, encoded and sent it's way to the other end, same with incoming input.

The reason PS4 can also stream to Vita and TV is because it has a chip for encoding/decoding video to save the CPU doing it, which is used for SharePlay etc, it was built with it all in mind. There are some games on PS3 that can do remote play back with the PSP (and now Vita I think?), but the game had to be built with that in mind.

Last edited:
I would have thought it was definitely possible. The vita does it as does the playstation TV. It basically renders on the source and transfers to the client via network. The principle eps pretty much the same with the share function.

There has been some great advances in remote access and functions with grid etc this is just a dedicated version of that.

But trying to get an entirely new feature like that working with existing games would require a lot of work. It was a barely-used feature on the PSP and Vita. If you've already got the PS3, why not just use it to play the games?

As JUMPURS said, controlling the PS4 via a PS3 would be a far better use of an existing console.

PS4 won't display in anything other than 480p and/or SAFE MODE

PS4 was working fine and has done since day one...it is a day one console and out of warranty.

All has been faultless until last night after a session on it, I pulled out the usb connector for headset then click lost signal to tv, I got a message on screen saying "invalid signal" no display with an intermittent cracking sound through speakers.
It will display ok in safe mode however when you choose option to restart you get the invalid/no signal message on tv and an odd crackling sound.

PS4 lightbar is white/ normal.

PS support say start it in safe mode then choose to change resolution so it restarts in 480p , this displays fine and can see what PS4 is doing so into settings to put it back to 1080p and click...back to no signal on display and back to crackling sound.
I have tried two other HDMI cables btw...Xbox ONE, PS3 and Xbox 360 all work and display as they should.

Any thoughts please?

Thank you in advance.

It will be out of manufacturers warranty but you are still covered by the sale of goods act. Inform the retailer you wish to claim for repair or replacement under the sale of goods act and take it from there.

Yep already tried the other ports on tv, as well as other leads....everything points to the PS4

Going to refit the original 500Gb and reformat it tonight then box it up and SOGA it with Argos

Will slot my 1TB SSHD straight in the replacement

Try to manually disable HDCP under the PS4s Display Settings and then set it back to 1080p. It could be an issue with the TVs as I've seen some that, for no reason at all, suddenly are unable to display HDCP pictures over HDMI.

HDCP ?

Safe mode starts it in 480p..this displays fine...then I go into the settings in PS4 menu and select 1080p and it craps out again.

HDCP is a digital content protection; if that's suddenly busted on the TV it could explain why you can get a picture at 480p but not at a proper resolution. You can manually turn HDCP off on the PS4 from it's display settings. If it still doesn't work then you know it's most likely the PS4.

Alternatively, if you have a PS3 or standalone blu-ray player connected to the TV and they work then you know it's not a HDCP issue.

Back
Top Bottom