*** The Official Playstation 4 (PS4) Thread ***

Soldato
Buying a new PS4 - only criteria is I want a white one as, well, I like white PS4s. I don't own a 4K TV and have no 4K content to throw at one in the immediate or short-to-medium future.

PS4 or PS4 Pro? Assuming I can get the former for around £160/£170 (in a game bundle) or £300 for the latter (by selling Destiny 2 on) with current offers, etc.

Current games I want to play; Uncharted Collection/4/LL, Last of Us, Doom, Witcher 3, Zero Dawn, etc.

Game I am looking forward to the most; PUBG.

Soldato
If I was buying a PS4 for the first time right now I think I'd be inclined to get a Pro, but I currently have a regular one and I haven't yet found any game that I've thought "I really wish I had a Pro in order to experience this properly". Horizon ZD looks and runs superbly, as does the new Uncharted.

There'd be a lot of merit in getting a base PS4 and spending the money saved on some games instead.

Soldato
Personally, I'm upgrading to a white Pro and flogging Destiny. A more stable framerate is always nice and it's the only way I can experience Yakuza 6 (and most probably its successors) at more or less stable 30fps and minimal tearing instead of subjecting myself to the 900p jaggy tearfest that happens on the base model. I'm afraid it's a sign of things to come if devs get lazy.

I don't care about 4k etc. I'm on a 1440p monitor and still think the Pro has its benefits, I might even grab FFXV again to enjoy all the post-game content without the horrible framepacing problems.

EDIT: I agree that most stuff runs perfectly fine on the base model but not everything and I think it's safer to spend more now than to be disappointed if one of your anticipated future releases happens to run poorly.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I see "The Last Of Us" is getting a new patch which restores super sampling for Pro users playing on 1080p sets. Sounds to me like Sony aren't going to implement it at the system level after all. Boooooo!

Soldato
I'd have to say that I can't disagree with either of your comments there, chaps. Are the oft-mentioned PS4 Pro fan noises as problematic as the internet would have me believe?

V F

V F

Soldato
Buying a new PS4 - only criteria is I want a white one as, well, I like white PS4s. I don't own a 4K TV and have no 4K content to throw at one in the immediate or short-to-medium future.

PS4 or PS4 Pro? Assuming I can get the former for around £160/£170 (in a game bundle) or £300 for the latter (by selling Destiny 2 on) with current offers, etc.

Current games I want to play; Uncharted Collection/4/LL, Last of Us, Doom, Witcher 3, Zero Dawn, etc.

Game I am looking forward to the most; PUBG.

Thought that was PC only?

Associate
Does anyone else's Pro make a rapid clicking/rattle type sound when playing games? I'm pretty sure it's coil whine/buzz and not the fan, as it stops as soon as I exit a game. Only a couple of weeks old, wondering if it's worth getting changed, unless it's common? That and I keep getting brief drop outs of sound for half a second every so often.

Caporegime
You should probably get it changed. Mine doesn't make any noise at all except for the fan now and again. I've not really heard that going mad either except on Horizon's map screen.

Associate
Yeah, I think it's probably best that I do. Get that sorted tomorrow.
This is the sound it's making whilst playing Destiny 2.

Edit: Exchanged the PS4 earlier, this one seems to be much quieter, although I haven't tried Destiny yet. Seems to of been built recently going by the date code (7C).

Second edit: New one makes the same clicking sound in Destiny 2. Not quite as loud though. I'm guessing it must just be a variant of coil whine. Tried Project Cars and that was quiet.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom