Poll: *The Official PlayStation (PS5/PS5 Pro) Thread*

Will you be buying a PS5 Pro on release?

• Yes

Votes: 40 14.3%
  • No (not at £700 Lol)

Votes: 167 59.9%
  • No (other)

Votes: 59 21.1%
  • Pancake

Votes: 13 4.7%

• Total voters
For anyone wanting to run their ps5 pro in 8k, beware the side notes

While Sony says the ps5 pro can output an 8k image, in their side notes it says 8k output is only supported using DSC... and since TVs don't support DSC, you can only use the ps5 pro with an 8k monitor lol, not an 8k TV

Last edited:
The millions of people that will buy one, will disagree with you. How much of a performance jump do you need?

The price is probably makes Sony a small profit, no need to sell a performance model at a loss or break even, the standard PS5 is the break even/loss maker to get market share.
Sony will undoubtedly sell a bunch of them. Plus as you say presumably with the Pro at that price they’re likely making money on every system sold. So it’s not going to lose them money so I guess it makes sense to Sony from a financial aspect.

I’m just unsure whether it’ll be well supported by developers and third parties. More than anything it just feels a bit unnecessary to bring out another ps5 variant.

In terms of performance I feel that unless there’s at least a doubling of performance it’s a wasted upgrade. There’s no sign of that happening unless PSSR can do some of the heavy lifting.

I guess We need to see more footage and game analysis to see if we can actually get the promised 60fps quality mode visuals Sony is promising without compromise.

Last edited:
Had both Series X and PS5 this gen.

Prefer the PS5 so that's all I have now.

I was interested in the PS5 Pro and still am. I need to see more information to weather it's worth the price.

If it can give me 60fps in every game I'll be happy. I just can't so 30fps.

Part of me is thinking of swapping to PC and ditching console gaming.

Had both Series X and PS5 this gen.

Prefer the PS5 so that's all I have now.

I was interested in the PS5 Pro and still am. I need to see more information to weather it's worth the price.

If it can give me 60fps in every game I'll be happy. I just can't so 30fps.

The initial investment is high, but at least being modular you can upgrade more cheaply and effectively down the line, especially if this is the new norm for console prices.

I don’t use my XSX much anymore, the sweet spot for me is PC and PS5. All the PS5 exclusives have been 60fps and I’m fine with the visuals, so will not doubt wait until the PS6.

I did consider the same for a while but :-

A) I quite like gaming sitting relaxed on my couch

B) as much as everyone grumbles about the price of the PS5 Pro £800 doesn’t really go very far when your start pricing up gaming PCs, GPUs and monitors!

Most people play games in performance 60fps mode.

The Pro will definitely be worth the money in you're one of those people. If you have 120hz even more so.

The initial investment is high, but at least being modular you can upgrade more cheaply and effectively down the line, especially if this is the new norm for console prices.

I don’t use my XSX much anymore, the sweet spot for me is PC and PS5. All the PS5 exclusives have been 60fps and I’m fine with the visuals, so will not doubt wait until the PS6.
I've swung back to doing more PC gaming over this last year. I don't see a good future for either Xbox or Playstation, certainly in terms of console sales. For me, the sweet spot is now PC and Switch. With more & more Playstation games coming to Steam, I'm less convinced about the need for owning a Sony console. Also, it's becoming easier to use a PC in a living room, if you are that way inclined. Steam's Big Picture mode is very good, and I think between Valve and Microsoft the UI will continue to be improved for a more "console" like experience for those that desire that.

As for the PS5 Pro selling - there will always be a hardcore group of Sony loyalists, and those with more money than sense, that will snap up any tech they produce. The initial batch will sell out ( partly due to artificial scarcity ) then after that I think sales will slow down a lot. It's very likely the PS5 Pro isn't being manufactured and sold at a loss, so in the short term this won't be a financial disaster for Sony. But ... consumer confidence is a big thing, and between the "shock" of the PS5 Pro price and poor decisions elsewhere ( live service game flops, increasing subscription costs, fewer 1st party games ) I think many people have had their heads turned and will be thinking of jumping ship to PC rather than getting a PS6, whenever it arrives ( plus, how much will it cost at launch ? ).

The difficulty for some is that they have been with Playstation for 10+ years and may have a large digital library they don't want to abandon and purchase again on another platform. But that "walled garden" of Sony's is getting higher and higher and the garden is looking more threadbare with each passing generation. My advice for those "on the fence" is to cut your losses now and start considering other options.

Last edited:
But what is it offering, 60 or 120fps at slightly higher resolution?
Not slightly higher no. It should run quality mode graphics at performance framerates at the flick of a switch for developers.

Its should be able to provide more than that if the developer decides to put a bit more effort into it.

The 120hz modes that generally murder image quality should be vastly improved.

Last edited:
Not slightly higher no. It should run quality mode graphics at performance framerates at the flick of a switch for developers.

Its should be able to provide more than that if the developer decides to put a bit more effort into it.

The 120hz modes that generally murder image quality should be vastly improved.
Call me a sceptic, but I think the reality will be somewhere in the middle ie. some games will run at 60 fps with "quality" graphics, but others will be a more marginal upgrade. The reason I say this is because ultimately it is down to developers to leverage the extra performance the PS5 Pro offers, and if the last few years are anything to go by, then many titles will be poorly optimised, or the developers will choose to improve graphics at the expense of frame rate. Also, when the base PS5 was launched, we were told then to expect 4k/60 fps ... how did that pan out ? For those people who prefer the console platform, I really hope my predictions are wrong. But as I say, we've heard these promises before and they are never realised in full. Then there are some folk on various social media who are expecting performance in excess of what even a RTX4090 can deliver ; yes, the PS5 Pro represents an upgrade over the base PS5 but it's hardly cutting edge technology.

There’s also going to be a first party state of play coming within the next few days / next week. So we can see a little bit of a roadmap of potential games getting the pro treatment.
They need to announce a few new first party games to get these pro's shifting in numbers.
I know I would only get fomo over some cracking new games that wouldn't be on pc for a year after.

I'm still in the 50-50 with this thing. Over the last few days I've done the costings but I do enjoy gaming on a big screen and have a TV and monitor in my office. I'm not certain how well the TV would work with my PC as a part-time display. Particularly as I would still love to go full-time Linux at some point. Which I think may add complications.

For ease of use the PS5 works so well alongside my PC. Very quick to turn on, load games, cloud saves, 3D audio, full Dualsense support with haptics and mature HDR. And the benefit of not have to deal with different storefronts, DRM, kernel level anti-cheat or other PC software. For example I wouldn't mind playing Alan Wake 2 one day but I'm not buying it on EGS. So right now that might as well not exist on PC for me. Although I still have PC/Steamdeck. That said the allure of everything in one space, ease of running Steam on anything (Linux, Windows), greater choice and all the other benefits that PC brings is powerful. However I would likely need a better spec than I run now to drive that 4K TV.

So it's not an easy one and it might take me a while to work out the answer. Of course I can just stay on PS5 and not do anything but I don't want to stay on a format long-term if I don't intend to buy more games on it.

They need to announce a few new first party games to get these pro's shifting in numbers.
I know I would only get fomo over some cracking new games that wouldn't be on pc for a year after.

I'd be surprised. They seem to be very committed to console first, then PC release strategy (for non-Live Services). The odd exclusive still like Astrobot or Demon Souls where it is required, but I think that is the exception rather than the rule. I would imagine they announce more PS5 Pro 'upgrades' for games likes GoW:Ragnorok or something. Certainly go into more details on some of the games they whizzed through in the 9-min PS5 Pro presentation. For Sony to change course now and return to exclusive PS5/6 software would take a drastic hit in console units sold. And even then I'm not sure they wouldn't just increase the attention on PC games in that scenario.

I also have my suspicions that both Microsoft and Sony put up with Valve, EGS atm to quickly generate revenue but if PC becomes a greater focus would re-look at the way they release games on PC. I'm convinced these rumours are true and this new team at Microsoft working for Sarah Bond is building a PC App to bring Xbox games over to PC. And at some point they would want to mandate that on PC where eventually all there games like Forza, COD, WoW etc. would be required to run through it.

Call me a sceptic, but I think the reality will be somewhere in the middle ie. some games will run at 60 fps with "quality" graphics, but others will be a more marginal upgrade.

I agree. I think there’s reason to be sceptical. If the base ps5 can only run a game a 30fps based on what I’ve seen so far it’s hard to believe the performance jump of ~50% in the ps5 pro alone will allow those games to hit 60fps without further tweaks to graphics settings?

In not hating on it for the sake of it. I actually fully intended to buy the system at launch before the presentation but everything I’ve seen of it so far just seems incredibly lacklustre?

Last edited:
I don't think many games will be 60 on the pro, but 30 on the PS5. I think it will mostly just be resolution bumps from 60@1080 to 60@4K (with upscaling if need be). CPU isn't getting a massive boost and a lot of the stuff failing to get 60 now seems to be cpu bound (like Space Marine 2).

I'm sure you'll get a mixture; 30 fps only games, games with quality/performance modes still but maybe better resolution on the Pro or utilise PSSR. The first-party games will definitely try and adhere to the 4k/60fps with use of PSSR to be the best showcase for the system. And off course publishers or developers that just target PS5 and not the Pro.

Last edited:
Remember the ps4 pro was 100% faster than the ps4 and most games were still just 30fps, just at higher resolution and the ps5 pro will be the same

Back
Top Bottom