The Official Prometheus (Alien Prequel) Thread

Its been rated in Canada as a 14A, roughly a PG13 in the US, which means it'll most likely be a 12 over here, maybe a 15.

Oh well, suddenly I have gone off the movie thanks to that. Well done Ridley, make a cack movie and cash in with the lower rating. Bravo.

How, just how, can you make a film that is the prequel to Alien, one of the all time great horrors and make it a 12 or 15. Its going to suck, just look at the recent remake of the Thing. Its a 15, and rating aside, its rubbish compared to the original.

To be fair, a low age rating doesn't mean a crap film, remember it's not an Alien movie, just has alien elements in it towards the end, it's more about the space jockeys and the origins of humanity.

Its been rated in Canada as a 14A, roughly a PG13 in the US, which means it'll most likely be a 12 over here, maybe a 15.

Oh well, suddenly I have gone off the movie thanks to that. Well done Ridley, make a cack movie and cash in with the lower rating. Bravo.

How, just how, can you make a film that is the prequel to Alien, one of the all time great horrors and make it a 12 or 15. Its going to suck, just look at the recent remake of the Thing. Its a 15, and rating aside, its rubbish compared to the original.

You've seriously "gone off" a film because of it's certificate?

To be fair, a low age rating doesn't mean a crap film, remember it's not an Alien movie, just has alien elements in it towards the end, it's more about the space jockeys and the origins of humanity.

Terminator 1 and 2 were 18's
Terminator 3 was a 15 (I think)
Terminator 4 was also a 15 IIRC

Does that not say enough, all the best films are 18's

Prometheus would be loads better if it was an 18, then they wouldn't have to cut out all the best bits.

Just look at way films are going these days, with the exception of a few (Saw, The Human Centipede) films are getting less and less gore and thus the ratings come down

Last edited:
i had no idea the age rating determined how good a movie is, think i'll change my viewing strategy..

Don't take things so literal. I agree with that he's saying, Can you imagine if they made Fast and Furious a U rating? it would be a terrible film.

I would have expected this to follow suite of the other Alien films and be an 18

Terminator 1 and 2 were 18's
Terminator 3 was a 15 (I think)
Terminator 4 was also a 15 IIRC

Does that not say enough, all the best films are 18's

Prometheus would be loads better if it was an 18, then they wouldn't have to cut out all the best bits.

Just look at way films are going these days, with the exception of a few (Saw, The Human Centipede) films are getting less and less gore and thus the ratings come down
Im almost certain that if terminator 1 and 2 were released today they would only be given a 15 rating,there is nothing in both of the terminator films to warrant an 18 rating(look at kick ass for instance if that was released in 1984 it would have been an 18 rating without a doubt but the censors are far more decensortised now)

Don't take things so literal. I agree with that he's saying, Can you imagine if they made Fast and Furious a U rating? it would be a terrible film.

I would have expected this to follow suite of the other Alien films and be an 18

Prometheus is not an Alien film. It seems a lot of people can't get their heads around that.

T2 was rated 15. T3 was rated 12, and so was Salvation. To say all the best films are rated 18, makes you sound about 12.

Thinking Fast and Furious is awesome! Just because it has some hot girls in it, would seem to confirm that. :p

Prometheus is not an Alien film. It seems a lot of people can't get their heads around that.

It's by Ridley Scott and has Aliens in it, how is it not an Alien film?

T2 was rated 15. T3 was rated 12, and so was Salvation. To say all the best films are rated 18, makes you sound about 12.

I didn't say all the "best" films are 18's but can you really see Pulp Fiction or Resouvior Dogs as a 12? really?

Thinking Fast and Furious is awesome! Just because it has some hot girls in it, would seem to confirm that. :p

It had a good storyline too

Last edited:
Can you imagine if they made Fast and Furious a U rating? it would be a terrible film.

It upsets me that 'Fast and Furious' could be brought into a comparison discussion about a Ridley Scott film.

I don't think the certificate of a film has any bearing on how good a film is.

+1

If cinema has taught us anything it is the atmosphere that creates real horror or emotion, and not the on-screen content that the BBFC are concerned by.

No way, it's awesome, admittedly the cars are all plastic and the stunts and noises of the cars are fake but at least it has some hot girls in it

Oh I forgot that's the clincher on film quality - we'd best inform Rotten Tomatoes ;)

It upsets me that 'Fast and Furious' could be brought into a comparison discussion about a Ridley Scott film

Because he's such a good director *cough* Gladiator *cough*

Oh I forgot that's the clincher on film quality - we'd best inform Rotten Tomatoes ;)

Seeing a nice looking girl in a film definitely does not make the film, but I bet Tomb Raider wouldn't have done as well as it did if they hadn't have cast Jolie in it.

Because he's such a good director *cough* Gladiator *cough*

I would easily affirm Gladiator to be a better film than the two titles you have mentioned in this thread : Fast & Furious and Tomb Raider.

Scott's Alien and Bladerunner are some of the highest rating films of all time - and almost certainly some of the most important films of their genre; I'd warrant that as a sign of a good director.

Seeing a nice looking girl in a film definitely does not make the film, but I bet Tomb Raider wouldn't have done as well as it did if they hadn't have cast Jolie in it.

I think her presence created the box office success (likely fueled by the wallets of gamers and fans of large breasts) but critically the film was dire and an utter flop.

I think her presence created the box office success (likely fueled by the wallets of gamers and fans of large breasts) but critically the film was dire and an utter flop.

Lara Croft: Tomb Raider
Worldwide Gross: $274,703,340
Budget: $115,000,000

Lara Croft Tomb Raider: Cradle of Life
Worldwide Gross: $156,505,388
Budget: $95,000,000

Looks like they did pretty well to me

I'll admit the Alien series was a huge success and Bladerunner is awesome, but Gladiator? not so much

Lara Croft: Tomb Raider
Worldwide Gross: $274,703,340
Budget: $115,000,000

Lara Croft Tomb Raider: Cradle of Life
Worldwide Gross: $156,505,388
Budget: $95,000,000

Looks like they did pretty well to me

I'll admit the Alien series was a huge success and Bladerunner is awesome, but Gladiator? not so much

:rolleyes: your on a roll

Back
Top Bottom