The Official Prometheus (Alien Prequel) Thread

:rolleyes: Don't rush to join the debating society :p

BOT : I'm really intrigued about the potential address of the 'Space Jockey' - it has always struck me as an unexplored area with great potential. I'm sitting on the fence with this film so far, sometimes you can achieve so much more by providing very little - a la Jaws.

It's by Ridley Scott and has Aliens in it, how is it not an Alien film?

Have you actually read how Ridley describes the film?

Jay794 said:
I didn't say all the "best" films are 18's but can you really see Pulp Fiction or Resouvior Dogs as a 12? really?

Oh really?

Terminator 1 and 2 were 18's
Terminator 3 was a 15 (I think)
Terminator 4 was also a 15 IIRC

Does that not say enough, all the best films are 18's

Prometheus would be loads better if it was an 18, then they wouldn't have to cut out all the best bits.

Just look at way films are going these days, with the exception of a few (Saw, The Human Centipede) films are getting less and less gore and thus the ratings come down

It had a good storyline too

Someone must have hijacked your computer then. :p

You are right that Pulp Fiction wouldn't have worked as a 12 rated film, but it was never intended to be anything other than an 18 rated film. It has a certain amount of violence, language and tone, that was an integral part of the film from the word go. You can't edit that out without wrecking it.

Prometheus was never meant to be an 18 rated film, so there was never going to be a load of 18 rated content that had to be edited out. It might be set in the same universe as Alien but it has evolved into something different, that "shares some DNA with Alien", as Ridley put it.

If you, or anyone is going to have the view that Prometheus won't be as good because it's not going to have an 18 rating, and won't have content and tone like the other Alien films, then what about Terminator 2. It should be nowhere near as good as it is, going by that view. I certainly didn't see many people complaining that the T1000, didn't go around ripping people's hearts out, and leaving bodies all over the place. The film didn't need to show mangled dead bodies, in order for the film to work. It's less violent, but it works very well, because it was well thought out.

Prometheus, isn't going to be crap, just because Alien/s don't go around terrorising and killing people like they did in the other films. Cameron showed with Terminator 2, it's possible to make another film set in the same universe, without having the same tone and content as previous film/s.

Terminator 2 could have a 12 rating really. If it was released today with a 12 rating, would people call that crap or disappointing, because it doesn't have the violence and tone of the first film?

A film's rating has no bearing on whether or not the film is any good.

Of course, it remains to be seen if Prometheus is any good. If it isn't, it certainly won't be because the lack of an 18 rating, with plenty of death and terror. Alien: Resurrection had an 18 rating, and that really wasn't very good at all. Not IMO anyway.

Terminator 2 is literally the best sequel ever made, so it's certainly possible to make a film with an age rating of 15 like that even to a violent first movie.

That said, I have little hope for Prometheus, Hollywood isn't the colossus it was a couple of decades ago.

Ok so I did say that but it is true

Tarantino and Ritchie has never done a bad film and all of theres are 18's

Richie made two films that were rated 18, the rest are not. You could argue that Richie's best films were 18, and you'd probably be right.

So that suddenly proves 18 rated films are best?

It proves nothing. Some people made some films that were good and were rated 18. Plenty of people have made films that have a lower rating, and were equally as good.

A lot of 18 rated films are complete tripe.

Nowadays, films that are 18 rated seem to me to be full of gore or because of the subject matter. If the Prometheus movie is a 12 or even a 15 I am sure it wouldn't be a bad film because of the rating. If you look at the action/violent movies from the 80's or 90's I would bet my house on those being a 15 rating today.

I'm lucky enough to be working on this one, looking very nice :).. So why is everyone thinking its going to be a 12/15 anyway?

I'm lucky enough to be working on this one, looking very nice :)

In what respect?

Presuming it's in the field of production, I understand you will probably have a number of secrecy issues - but it would certainly be interesting to hear your 'personal opinion' ( :p ) on things! :)

The part that made Alien an 18? The part where John Hurt's character Kane's chest bursts open and sprays blood all over everyone and an alien comes out of him. The most iconic part of that film.

But the way the boundaries have been pushed these days with films like Hostel etc, I can imagine they can fit a fair amount of gore into this film. I read a while back that Scott nearly walked away when 20th Century Fox wouldn't give him the 18 rating. I'm not usually someone who’s bothered about the amount of gore in a film, but with Prometheus there shouldn't be boundaries.

The part that made Alien an 18? The part where John Hurt's character Kane's chest bursts open and sprays blood all over everyone and an alien comes out of him. The most iconic part of that film.

But the way the boundaries have been pushed these days with films like Hostel etc, I can imagine they can fit a fair amount of gore into this film. I read a while back that Scott nearly walked away when 20th Century Fox wouldn't give him the 18 rating. I'm not usually someone who’s bothered about the amount of gore in a film, but with Prometheus there shouldn't be boundaries.
Why? It's a film aimed at male teenagers, and if they want a big budget they'll have to adhere to the studio's demands, which are to make as much money as possible.

I think some of us are being heavily influenced, and thus misdirected, by a past set of ratings.

Censorship has changed enormously in the past 20 years and the BBFC will be giving classification by current standards; a modern-day 15 certificate will quite often be the equivalent of a 1980s 18 certificate.

We also will not be subjected to as many content cuts and a much higher percentage of the finished product will reach the audience.

I think to be put off by a film because it's a certain certificate is somewhat naive - focus on the content rather than an element of the blurb!

I think some of us are being heavily influenced, and thus misdirected, by a past set of ratings.

Censorship has changed enormously in the past 20 years and the BBFC will be giving classification by current standards; a modern-day 15 certificate will quite often be the equivalent of a 1980s 18 certificate.

We also will not be subjected to as many content cuts and a much higher percentage of the finished product will reach the audience.

I think to be put off by a film because it's a certain certificate is somewhat naive - focus on the content rather than an element of the blurb!

Yeah, basically this.

In what respect?

Presuming it's in the field of production, I understand you will probably have a number of secrecy issues - but it would certainly be interesting to hear your 'personal opinion' ( :p ) on things! :)

Visual effects, so I'm more involved in the visuals of a few sequences in the film, and don't really have a wide perspective of how the rest of it is shaping up. And yeah cannot really say anything apart from its looking really good (visually), and I'm a huge fan of the first and second Alien films.. :)

Visual effects, so I'm more involved in the visuals of a few sequences in the film, and don't really have a wide perspective of how the rest of it is shaping up. And yeah cannot really say anything apart from its looking really good (visually), and I'm a huge fan of the first and second Alien films.. :)

If you don't mind me asking what area of vfx are you in? I'm also working on this one as a Lighter and it would be nice to know a fellow OcUker is working amongst the building :)

Also, I can't say much about the film - other than I can second TMP's opinion.

Last edited:
When I said it wasn't very good, I wasn't referring to the profits. I just dislike Russell Crowe.

"Making movies, making music, and fightin' 'round the world!"

Is this guy for real?

Alien prequel could be interesting, I was quite fascinated by that giant space ship in the original, however, I suspect a prequel will be a bit naff. The focus I bet will be on action or something dull.

It's not strictly a prequel though.

It just takes the biomechanical set designs, the Space Jockeys, and possibly their space ship. And wraps a mythological story around it all about the meaning of life and where we come from.

It will have more in common with first quarter of Stargate (1994) and end of Space Odyssey 2001 than Alien, IMO. Seriously.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom