**The Official S.T.A.L.K.E.R Shadow Of Chernobyl Thread**

Meh looks like Dynamic Lighting with Vista 64bit is a complete no no, however AA looks like it's on team me and the game runs very smoothly (haven't checked exact frame rate yet).

Am I missing out a lot on the lighting front?

Tom|Nbk said:
13-03-07 PC Stalker (S.T.A.L.K.E.R) Radiation Pack Edition £15.99 Shipped 22-03-07

WOOOHOO!

Bargain :)
I thought I done OK pre-ordering the radiation pack @ £24.99, as when I looked a few days ago it had gone up to 34.99.

Tom|Nbk said:
Aye cheers just seen those :D, not sure ill get mine tommorow as its coming from Jersey AFAIK, but more than happy to wait at that price!.

Sounds like the same place as me. Never used them before so im hoping all will be ok. If it does come tomorrow then well... super!! :D

My mini review of the past 3 hours on stalker..............

Was this game worth the wait well thats a yes and no im afraid. From all the performance horror stories this was my most worry, but that went away when i started playing. I ramped all the settings up to max with everything on all except vsync at a resolution of 1280x1024. When i started the game and i began inside when i went outside there was just a little judder then it went smooth and no slowdown since my time on this game.
I was expected to be blown away by the outside graphics like i was when i first went out the sewers in Oblivion but it didnt have the same breathtaking feel to it. Sure it looks really nice but to be honest i think i was more impressed with the in door parts of the game which i have to say is brilliant. The lighting from the swinging light in a dank corridor underground really gave the scene a lot of atmosphere and i have to say it was a very scary time in the dark.
The gameplay side of it is a mixed affair of fun and just annnoying. Theres always something happening when your off to your next mission or heading back to get your reward. I see dogs running around in a pack ahead of me and further to the east side of me a patrol of bandits. I restarted my save and see if anything happens the same, but it didnt the pack of dogs were gone instead replaced by anomlie ( bad spelling) that had the patrol of bandits dead around it so this game is never the same.
The annoying part of the game i find is how easy for you to die and everytime your shot u need bandages and the medkits are rare and when i do find them its only to be used on other stalkers so i can be there friends :p
The guns seem quite realistic from there sound and even feel a bit weighty, but when coming to shoot they seem quite inaccurate and the damage they do is quite low, maybe not including the shotgun though.
Was this game worth my money yes it was, will i be playing through again and again to get all the endings no i wont but ill tell you this its a damn good game that i must get back too :)

I've also had the aformentioned emails re: the supplier which couldn't get enough Radiation pack in stock.

I was ordering from the place mentioned in someone's email reply, just as I ordered it though the status changed from pre-order, to released, so the price also went from £17.99 up to 29.99 :p :'(

Quite disgusting that the original place a lot of people ordered from didn't tell everyone whether they'd be receiving the game on release or not, some people in this thread who ordered from the same place were informed days ago, I wasn't though. Gay.

Andelusion said:
I was ordering from the place mentioned in someone's email reply, just as I ordered it though the status changed from pre-order, to released, so the price also went from £17.99 up to 29.99 :p :'(

From B***DVD? :eek:

Was gonna order but now I'm glad I didn't :p

Tom|Nbk said:
Aye cheers just seen those :D, not sure ill get mine tommorow as its coming from Jersey AFAIK, but more than happy to wait at that price!.

Mine was posted on Tuesday from Jersey, not seen anything of it yet. It usually only takes 2 days, but still hoping for tomorrow or will be really narked off as its my wkend off and I have cleared my schedule, so I can just play this game all weekend :(

i want to get this game tommorow, but in the gamespot review it says that it dosent work at all well in vista, is this true? ive been waiting for this game for a while, and now the fact i may have to wait for a month for a patch to come out to play it annoys me.

It crashes on save and load sometimes under vista (more often than not). I've heard they were aiming to get a patch for it around release date. Other than that bug though, it runs fine.

greeny_fastcar said:

Holy competitors, not a good idea to have the receipt of the comeptitor in there in full view. :D

regulus said:
ss_gerrys_03-21-07_19-22-01_l06_ros.jpg

ss_gerrys_03-22-07_13-18-05_l07_mil.jpg

ss_gerrys_03-21-07_17-27-32_l05_bar.jpg

ss_gerrys_03-21-07_17-18-15_l05_bar.jpg

Just a few pics from the Zone. Have hundreds more. Every one is worth a screenshot. Completely maxed out btw.

I think that looks class, gona pick this up tomorrow.

Last edited:
So far I've got it running smooth at highest settings (8800GTX). However, I'm trying to play it on Vista 64, and I have two major bugs - pressing Escape crashes to desktop. Pressing F6 crashes to desktop. And occasionally after several minutes of play, the game freezes.

Gutted.

Anyone been to Yantar yet? Ive spoken to the scientist guy in the bunker and he wants me to get a suit thing from inside the main building, but when i try to go in the building i get "Dangerous psi-emmisions" and they kill me, I have the orange suit on I really cant work out how to get past it, there's no other way for me to go, unless i go back to the last level :confused:

Aww what a letdown!

It installed fine, but once it was done decided it couldn't detect an original disc in the drive. Lucky I have two drives really - works fine in the second one :rolleyes:

Ok, so into the game. Wow... what a pile of arse. I'm sure it's actually quite good, but as yet I've not had a chance to find out - the damn thing keeps crashing. Three or four times to the desktop and twice completely killing the PC requiring a hard reset.

It looks pretty nice, I don't think I'll spoil anything for anyone by saying what I'm about to.
All I've seen of it so far is:
Talked to wolf, got sent to his little guys, talked to them..got to kill some bandits at a car park. In that short space of time it's crashed so much. Sometimes when I try the binoculars out, but generally when I'm just walking/running around.

Everything's set to max (automatically) except for a couple of AA options and draw distance. I turned shadows down a notch to improve performance (not that it was slow, but every little helps).

If anyone can recommend any possible fixes for these random crashes I'd love to know.

System:
AMD X2 3800 @ stock speeds
Abit A8R32-MVP
2Gb of ... some kind of decent ram...
SBlive (ancient, maybe that's the problem - EAX is turned off though)
512mb X1900XT-X
Windows XP pro sp2

Now, the above ought to run it just fine at pretty much max detail.. and it can... but it crashes :(

Back
Top Bottom