**The Official S.T.A.L.K.E.R Shadow Of Chernobyl Thread**

SkeeterPSA said:
Its now £17.49 at **direct...

--

Ark to get rid of just sky turn off forces aa in nvidia panel i think is the solution.

Thanks Skeeter you're a hero !
Had it all day and not been able to play - seems to be working now.

Will let you know how it runs on Vista64

Slinwagh said:
Well running Vista Ultimate 64bit with the spec in my sig.

It runs frame by frame almost.

Dynamic lighting is enable, all in game settings on max.

8 x AF and 8 x AA enabled via the driver.

You having no crashing problems what so ever? It's very well documented that this game is having big problems with vista from a lot of different sites.

OK this is very weird.

Got the same email as most others who ordered their radiation pack from PPDirect saying that my order was cancelled.

And yet when I checked my email a minute ago PPD sent another email saying my game was despatched! :eek:

Went to check my account and it says my order is complete!?

Those of you who ordered from PPD - do you get the same email??

*EDIT* - YAY apparantly PPD has managed to get hold of enough copies to fulfill all orders placed, and as a way of apologising they are going to dispatch the game at the original price of £17.68. :)

Just out of curiosity those who are having crashes, do you have aa and af force in nvidia or ccc panel if so set them to application control. Stalker doesnt like forced settings. Especially aa since it doesnt work and just causes problems.

i am getting 50-60 fps oustide my dropping rez a little but every now and then i get a judder and it drops to like 10 , mostly when i spin around or turn a corner .

Ulfhedjinn said:
Seems to me like you don't know what you're talking about.
Yes, that must be it. It must be me and every one else on here that is posting about having a COMPLETELY different experience to you.... :rolleyes:

Ulfhedjinn said:
Funny, because some of my dirty pirate mates actually bought the game and said it still runs like crap.
Yes i am sure. Everyone i know said there was a huge difference....
Oh who am i kidding, i am lieing to prove a point... quite easy to do isn't it.

Ulfhedjinn said:
You mean the shots that are shrunken down to 800x600? :rolleyes: I'm yet to see full-resolution Stalker screenshots with antialiasing, retail or not. Prove me wrong by getting some nice snaps. :)
I've seen plenty of shrunken shots that still clearly show jaggies when there has been no AA in the actual game. Everything on these seems smooth as silk. I am not saying it works as well as AA as that is highly unlikely, but it seems to me like it is working in part.

Ulfhedjinn said:
I don't even know who you're trying to convince here, me or yourself. Purchase justification complex?
I have no need to justify my purchase for £17.99. Maybe you are justifying not buying the game after "your mate" got the "beta" and doesn't want to pay for the full game.

Aside from this, you keep posting about broken this and broken that without anything constructive on how to maybe fix it or help others. Most people here seem to be having far less problems than you, yet its still all negative. Anyone would think the game ruined your life the way you go on about it. Like i9 said before, you experience with "your mates" "beta" version seems to be vastly different to what the majority of people on here are having. That fact alone suggest something was up with the game you played.... whether it be down to the build itself or the pc or just you being damn unlucky. Your failure to admit that you might be the exception, rather than the rule, is what is annoying.
This is based on Windows XP users.
In terms of Vista (which i don't happen to use), almost everyone seems to be having problems.
I agree, things like this are not really acceptable. Plenty of games do it, but the game SHOULD be more polished with all the delays it has had. That said, it is certainly not as bad an experience as you make out.

As for any comments on how awful the textures are (i mean what? is the game being played on low textures with a screen res of 640x480 or something?), the last few screenshots in here alone show some fantastic textures.

LoadsaMoney said:
Seems like the detail of the grass appears not far in front of you, seems it is that way as ive just asked Ulf and it annoys him the grass doing that. :(
Now there is a suprise ;) . Though i agree! It can be extremely annoying.

Last edited:
From reading the last page, I think it's safe to assume that crap performance, buggy graphics and bad driver compatibility are not traits unique to leaked/pirate copies of the game.

What can I say... Shock, horror. :rolleyes:

Having recieved the emails from ppd I went else where and ended up paying more, so when another mail arrived stating I could have it afterall I was pretty ****** as my other order had completed.

After a bit of complaining I'm now being sent another game, free of charge.

Providing it arrives, I'm happy and it's good to see a company doing the right thing, even if I did have to push a little.

I can't have STALKER before my b-day [bout 3 weeks away]..but I'm enjoying reading you lot enjoying it, or not, while trying to avoid spoilers.

Kamakazie! said:
Yes, that must be it. It must be me and every one else on here that is posting about having a COMPLETELY different experience to you.... :rolleyes:
Reading the last page, it sounds like most people are having the same problems. :rolleyes:

Kamakazie! said:
I've seen plenty of shrunken shots that still clearly show jaggies when there has been no AA in the actual game. Everything on these seems smooth as silk. I am not saying it works as well as AA as that is highly unlikely, but it seems to me like it is working in part.
I don't see it, nobody can seem to get AA working.

Link me to someone who has gotten AA working, or take some full-sized screens for us and dump them as BMP/PNG. I want to see this AA in action, and I want someone who's got it working to teach me how.

I'm waiting.

Kamakazie! said:
I have no need to justify my purchase for £17.99. Maybe you are justifying not buying the game after "your mate" got the "beta" and doesn't want to pay for the full game.
Again you prove that you don't know what you're talking about.

"My mate" downloaded the exact same game you are playing. Not even the Russian version, as it has SecuROM and not Starforce protection. A current build version of the game from the continental United States or western Europe.

"My mate" is not impressed with his pirate retail copy and has stopped playing it completely, he'll be happy to buy it once a patch comes out and solves all these horrendous issues that shouldn't be in a game that's taken so long to "supposedly" polish and optimise.

Kamakazie! said:
Aside from this, you keep posting about broken this and broken that without anything constructive on how to maybe fix it or help others.
Sorry, I must've missed the part that said this is the Stalker beta test thread.

Supposed to be playing the finished game at this point in time, not still beta testing it.

Kamakazie! said:
Most people here seem to be having far less problems than you, yet its still all negative. Anyone would think the game ruined your life the way you go on about it. Like i9 said before, you experience with "your mates" "beta" version seems to be vastly different to what the majority of people on here are having.
You really need to stop speaking for everybody.

The last couple of this thread's pages are almost nothing but questions about bugs.

You need to stop saying it's a beta version too, pure ignorance.

Kamakazie! said:
That fact alone suggest something was up with the game you played.... whether it be down to the build itself or the pc or just you being damn unlucky. Your failure to admit that you might be the exception, rather than the rule, is what is annoying.
The input on these forums and others speaks for itself. In my opinion the game is buggy and badly optimised, the performance is bad considering the graphics are dated, and a-life has not even remotely lived up to the hype. From what I see on these forums and others, most people are saying the same thing.

The problem isn't some personal issue for me, it's simply that this game is such an anticlimax and a dissapointment considering the half of a decade some of us have been waiting for it to come out. Might as well carry on playing crappy console ports at the snail pace good PC titles are coming out.

Ulfhedjinn said:
Reading the last page, it sounds like most people are having the same problems. :rolleyes: .................... snip!

Like i said, almost all of the posts on bugs are concerning Vista.
I am not arguing that that is not a bad thing, however, peoples XP experience is again, vastly different from yours.
If you are using Vista then that would explain it, i haven't seen you say that you are though.

I am not denying that the game is buggy, i am just questioning your posts in regard to all the negativity.
The majority will say something is good, and you will state pretty much the exact opposite.

I was saying "beta" in the same vain as saying "your mate". Based on earlier posts in this thread.

As for AA, i will try and sort that out. Currently running some important hydro/thermal models though :)

I have also been waiting 5 years, and as much as there are problems, the game delivers in spades. It's not what it was supposed to be, but we knew it wouldn't be at least a year and a half ago when the THQ guy sent in to get the game shipped spoke about the things they had cut out to make the game more fun.

How about some comments on the good aspects of the game... or are there none?
You say AI life is bad yet there are tons of instances even just that shows it works really well. Turning the difficulty down to low seems to fix problems with the respawning and the like.

I am just trying to gauge how you have had such a worse experience than most people (that don't have vista :D).

Kamakazie! said:
Like i said, almost all of the posts on bugs are concerning Vista.
I am not arguing that that is not a bad thing, however, peoples XP experience is again, vastly different from yours.
If you are using Vista then that would explain it, i haven't seen you say that you are though.
Nope, I am using good old fashioned Windows XP.

I should add that I've not had a single crash, just graphical/AI glitches mostly and bad performance.

Kamakazie! said:
I am not denying that the game is buggy, i am just questioning your posts in regard to all the negativity.
The majority will say something is good, and you will state pretty much the exact opposite.
What are you saying here, exactly? That I am not entitled to an opinion, or only a positive one?

Kamakazie! said:
I was saying "beta" in the same vain as saying "your mate". Based on earlier posts in this thread.
Misunderstood you, and that was my mistake. Someone recently said that "my mate" has been playing a leaked alpha and not a current build of the games, and that it's why he is having problems with it. Thought you were saying the same thing, if not then I take it back. :)

Kamakazie! said:
As for AA, i will try and sort that out. Currently running some important hydro/thermal models though :)
Would love to hear how you get it working, if you do.

Can't figure it out for the life of me, and vsync seems to only work when it wants to.

Kamakazie! said:
How about some comments on the good aspects of the game... or are there none?

You say AI life is bad yet there are tons of instances even just that shows it works really well. Turning the difficulty down to low seems to fix problems with the respawning and the like.

I am just trying to gauge how you have had such a worse experience than most people (that don't have vista :D).
I have made tons of positive comments about this game, people like you just seem to be ignoring them. The atmosphere is great and the music is fantastic, the AI is also generally great (but when it glitches, and it does a lot, it glitches hard.)

I love the atmosphere of the game, I cannot emphasise that enough. I am having such a negative opinion though because the bugs, glitches and performance issues absolutely ruin any sense of immersion.

For me this has always been a game about immersion, and if the due patch fixes all these bugs then this will be the most immersive game I have ever played. I hope so too, because then I'll actually pay for the thing.

Back
Top Bottom