**The Official S.T.A.L.K.E.R Shadow Of Chernobyl Thread**

Bought it just under a week ago and admittedly im not amazingly far in but here are my thoughts

Game is generally good but largely unfinished. Just seems rather crude and not very fluid. Has a Postal 2 "feel" to me experience wise, with a few snazzy effects here and there.

Mine runs fairly well on my FX57, 7900GTO@GTX, 2GB corsair @ 1650x1080, most details on full. Bit glitchy but no real problems.

Weapon accuracy is doing my head in - I refuse to accept that you would not be able to get a reasonably decent grouping at 100 metres whilst fully crouched, even with decrepid ex-USSR weaponry.

Weapon condition decay is also bad, guns appear to be made out of perspex and always jam when you need them most.

Two button megacrouch is doing my head in. Would rather just have the mega crouch on one button opposed to having to mash half my keyboard to crouch.

Also hate it when games are patched and you cant use your old savegames.

Agree with comments about the A-Life not being tremendously realistic. Postal 2 like again i feel. Bandit respawn is also irritating and not realistic.

Aside from that i am enjoying the game but feel that it require finishing. Some effects are really good, the weird psycho thing in the tunnel that pull you in and flings you away really messed with my head - very good effect though.

Ive just gotten the scope, so i decied to attach it to my prototype AK? the 1 with the faster rate of fire, so there i was sneaking along spotted some bandits, went to lower crouch aimed thru the scope single fire, crosshair centered on thier head BANG missed by several inches, 7 mercs apperad and their went my xpensive armour in a matter of seconds and all my med paks :(

I am not sure if this is a bug, but a couple of hours into the game and I can now only sprint for a couple of seconds and my fatigue bar drops slowly if I am moving. Before I could sprint for fairly long periods and my fatigue would regenerate when I was moving. There is no ways I am going to continue like this as it now takes me ages to get anywhere.

saguy said:
I am not sure if this is a bug, but a couple of hours into the game and I can now only sprint for a couple of seconds and my fatigue bar drops slowly if I am moving. Before I could sprint for fairly long periods and my fatigue would regenerate when I was moving. There is no ways I am going to continue like this as it now takes me ages to get anywhere.
Idiot, (me that is) I was overloaded.

saguy said:
Idiot, (me that is) I was overloaded.
lol :)

I find the overloaded really annoying, under 50kg and you can sprint away without a problem. Go a few grams over and you can hardly move :(
Should be a sort of sliding scale to how quick you can move in my opinion.

In the game atm I'm carrying 2 endurance booster artifacts, infinite sprint for the win!!!

porkrind said:
what do the number in radar mean they go up down all the time but I dunno why
it's the ammount of human forms (including zombie's) that you have within a set range of you. going to your pda contact list will display their names/status.

KNiVES said:
Wow... just went into the research facility, and out of it... that.... thing? at the end was the icing on the cake of a genuinely scary experience. The way you couldn't actually properly see it while it attacked you is one of the most unsettling experiences in the game so far (I ran away). I've not been this scared since playing Silent Hill 1 as a kid.
Is this the bit where you climb up a ladder out from the pipe to a base?

If it is, have had a nightmare of a time getting anywhere. Some 10-15 quickloads to just escape the base, then surrounded by road blockades (offroad has barbed wire) wherever I travel. Having not the best sense of direction, I also can't work out how to get back to that trader (want to dump my overloading inventory and buy a truckload of bullets!).

Almost considering starting over at this point :(

fish99 said:
It's kinda sad to think that a lot of people won't have the decoder when they reach the power plant and will miss the chance to see the best level in the game by far, and indeed the best ending. The scale of the final level is phenomenal.
And a radiation suit like the SEVA helps a lot.

does any1 know how to join the duty faction some guy marks some1 on my map but when i try and go see him some other guy says he'll shoot me if i go pass a certain point :confused: rather confused

Spend_day said:
does any1 know how to join the duty faction some guy marks some1 on my map but when i try and go see him some other guy says he'll shoot me if i go pass a certain point :confused: rather confused
have you spoken to this guy who said he'll shoot you?

Im not going to bother reading the whole of this thread looking for my answer to my uestion so here is my question.

Does everyone running Vista have the game close when they try and save a game?

Thanks

yer it's a known error Azza, perhaps someone can comment if using the console to save is more reliable.. if you wish to try press ` to drop the console and type save filename the filename being your choice of name.

Spend_day said:
yeah and the only option i get is why dont u let people in then he says something about bandits and the convo ends
mm i've no idea at the mo, if it comes to me i'll be back..

and while i'm posting, to change where stalker saves data:
copy the STALKER-SHOC folder to where-ever you want it, lets say in
D:\Games\S.T.A.L.K.E.R. - Shadow of Chernobyl\
edit the fsgame.ltx (make a backup of the file first), found in the stalker game root folder, with a text editor and alter the $app_data_root$ to suit:
Code:
$app_data_root$=true|false|D:\Games\S.T.A.L.K.E.R. - Shadow of Chernobyl\STALKER-SHOC\
job done :cool:

Last edited:
Echo said:
Is this the bit where you climb up a ladder out from the pipe to a base?

If it is, have had a nightmare of a time getting anywhere. Some 10-15 quickloads to just escape the base, then surrounded by road blockades (offroad has barbed wire) wherever I travel. Having not the best sense of direction, I also can't work out how to get back to that trader (want to dump my overloading inventory and buy a truckload of bullets!).

Almost considering starting over at this point :(

I valiantly fought back against the militias shooting at me. I had a mission close by anyway to steal the militaries' documents. One of the golden rules of Stalker is that if you cannot run away, you're going to have to fight back.

That military base escape right after the underground station was probably the most intense gunfight in the game so far for me. From a horror game to an action game :D

Back
Top Bottom