**The Official S.T.A.L.K.E.R Shadow Of Chernobyl Thread**

YorkshirePadd26 said:
MMMmmm,

Bought this on sundy and played a few times.

Grinds my PC into the ground and doesn't let go till its crashed !

GPU reaches like 90 od in the temp monitor in ATi tool ! gets to that at
621/725 wich is stock 3d speeds.

Running it at 1280x1024 as any widescreen setting is a no no.

Turned the grass detail right down and that helped and a few other options.
With hdr off I'm getting about 48-60fps according to fraps but it pauses a lot when wondering around. Like its wating for the next scene to load. Also iwth hdr off it looks pants !

PC is totally stable in every other game I play. So i guess this games is just a beast. I've installed patch 001 or something like that.

Anyone else know of any tweaks I can do apart from a hardware upgrade ?

Also does this use Dual core or not as I could stick my 3.0ghz optty back in if not ?

SIG
x2 3800 @ 2500
ATI X1900 xt @ 695/837
2Gb Ballistix PC4000
ASrock 939 Dual Sata 2, bios 2.20
Nec 20.1 Wgx2
Antec truepower 430watt.

48-60fps shouldn't be unplayable IMO - perhaps your hard drive is fragmented?

I'm playing it on a slower system at the moment (X2 3800 @ Stock, X1900XT @ Stock, 2GB DDR2-800, Vista Business) and I haven't had any problems. I'm using a defragmented Raptor drive though and a clean windows install with very little running in the background

Archangelus said:
This has got to be the toughest game to get started in I've seen for a LONG time. Only doing the Cordon, heading towards the Factory, and the guys there just spank me! only got the silenced pistol though :(

So far I've found it best to run away and shoot them from a distance.
Only playing on easy and so far I don't think much of the AI. enemys seam to get stuck a lot as well as other stalkers and there mates. Enemys don't seam to notice you creep up and shoot them in the head about 15 times either !

I've got to the next bit on where you go to some trash dump and i'd advise you don't stay there too long.

ajgoodfellow said:
48-60fps shouldn't be unplayable IMO - perhaps your hard drive is fragmented?

I'm playing it on a slower system at the moment (X2 3800 @ Stock, X1900XT @ Stock, 2GB DDR2-800, Vista Business) and I haven't had any problems. I'm using a defragmented Raptor drive though and a clean windows install with very little running in the background

Yeah but I'm playing it with HDR off to get like 48-60fps.
With it off it look cack !

I'll do a full reinstall tonight. HD is pretty messy and i'll Stick it on a newley formatted WD 250GB Carvier and reinstall windows on that.

YorkshirePadd26 said:
Only playing on easy and so far I don't think much of the AI. enemys seam to get stuck a lot as well as other stalkers and there mates. Enemys don't seam to notice you creep up and shoot them in the head about 15 times either !

I've got to the next bit on where you go to some trash dump and i'd advise you don't stay there too long.

Try increasing the difficulty settings

YorkshirePadd26 said:

Thanks for the advice, I'll give that a try :)

Archangelus said:
Thanks for the advice, I'll give that a try :)

Yeah, you'll notice the AI gets better pretty rapidly hehe. Stalker has to be one of the first games where turning up the difficulty settings actually improves AI. In most other games playing against AI feels like playing against retards on lower difficulty settings and like playing against retards with aimbots on higher settings.

neo202020 said:
Yeah, you'll notice the AI gets better pretty rapidly hehe. Stalker has to be one of the first games where turning up the difficulty settings actually improves AI. In most other games playing against AI feels like playing against retards on lower difficulty settings and like playing against retards with aimbots on higher settings.

Might start again from scratch on higher difficulty then.
No idea what I'm suposed to be doing, think i've spoken to too many people and they all want me to do different things. Very confusing indead.

Can't seam to get enough ammo in this game either, got a viper 5 and have no ammo.

Ammo Here, get ammo here. Where's the BF2 support guys when you need them !

YorkshirePadd26 said:
Can't seam to get enough ammo in this game either, got a viper 5 and have no ammo.
Do you loot all the enemies you kill for ammo?

Do you find enough 5.45 mm rounds for a AKM 74/2U ????

Maybe you are in an area where the enemies carry other guns like AKM 74/2's that use 5.45 rounds instead of 9x18 rounds the Viper uses.

I never used the Viper, I used a AKM 74/2U I looted from the militaries I killed near the train overpass until I got a TSR 301 which I then traded for a GP-37

Dutch Guy said:
I never used the Viper, I used a AKM 74/2U I looted from the militaries I killed near the train overpass until I got a TSR 301 which I then traded for a GP-37

First machine gun I had was from those guys. Just couldn't get past them (playing on Stalker setting) so ended up running through, knifing the closest, pinched his gun and kept running. Worked eventually and once tooled up with some decent ammo, went back for revenge.

Only really used 2 guns. The bigger AK with a scope fitted and GP37. I've just entered the NPP and have dumped all but the GP37 (700 rounds) and kept hold of the GG - (8 rounds :( ) Never bothered with the launchers and never found grenade launcher add-ons.

Never really used the TRS. Only used the one that looks like an SA80 a few times. Tunder is good but never found a scope. Vintar is cool but not enough rounds to make lugging it about worthwhile (for me anyway) Others I've just mostly ignored.

Last edited:
You really have to search most of the bodies you kill or at least the enemies at a similiar level as you. Also using the pistol (when you can), taking single shots at the head, using a different rifle temporarily if your usual ammo isn't available in the area, etc help a lot when it comes to ammo. I also found that the sawed of shotgun was very useful a large portion of the game, especially with the monsters and dogs.

I've got the TSR 301, the Viper and the 6 round shotgun. Primary weapon now is the TSR 301 with scope, but I'm keeping the Viper as a backup weapon. The mission with Krelov I was seriously low on ammo so I am trying to keep a good amount of ammo. Searching corpses is OK but I'm always over my weight limit. You can never tell which guys will have what so I'm not dropping down to just one weapon.

Got the good chem suit but its heavy at 7kg.

Getting annoyed at going to barkeep from Brainlab area, enemies keep respawning at the train yard. Also had the monster that throws stuff at you. Didnt realise til now that its the flying ball of electricity, thought that was just an anomoly. Saying that I think I've seen an invisible monster in the same area, not sure if thats the same thing or not.

Really hacks me off trying to kill 4 stalkers and getting pummeled by guns and barrels at the same time...

Where can you get the FN F2000 (called the FT 200M in game I think)? I played through to Yantar and got it there from the scientist in the mobile lab before I reinstalled Windows and didn't back up my saves. Just got back to Yantar after starting again and he doesn't have it :(

It beats any other gun I've come across so far hands down, including the GP 37.

I saw it there too, shame it cost 40000, when I saved my pennies and went back he didnt have it anymore.

Not got much further really, sure that the mission afterwards will have it. When I was in the X16 brainlabs there was ammo for it, shame I had to flog it when I couldnt afford the gun :(

Inquisitor said:
Where can you get the FN F2000 (called the FT 200M in game I think)? I played through to Yantar and got it there from the scientist in the mobile lab before I reinstalled Windows and didn't back up my saves. Just got back to Yantar after starting again and he doesn't have it :(

It beats any other gun I've come across so far hands down, including the GP 37.

Man, I played the unpatched version and got the F2000 inside the NPP...sucks :D

Just read over at the GSC forums that the 2nd patch has been approved and should be released sometime today, if not will be released tomorrow. :)

Well its not up yet so looks like tomorrow the 27th it is, but i aint holding my breath. :D

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom