**The Official S.T.A.L.K.E.R Shadow Of Chernobyl Thread**

bringerofdecay said:
yes, but im running it on MINIMAL not MAX (like i do on 2142, i was just using a recent game as a comparision)

If its only Stalker that overheats your card then it must be something to do with your setup even tho you have settings turned down, This game ups the temperature of my card more than usual but not to risky levels, from 44 up to 65 , BF2 & similar games run at around 55.
The next patch out is reckoned to improve framerates & optimization.
Don't give it up as a bad job as its worth all the hastle when you get it running
well, defo look into getting another meg of ram as all your games will run /load quicker as there is less hardrive access needed

Well my X1900XT 512mb just about handles the game maxed out at 1280x1024 using Full Dynamic Lighting, so I'm guessing the X1950 pro may require a few settings turned down.

kvfb97 said:
I just ordered a x1950 Pro and its due to come tomorrow. Has anyone got this card, or does anyone know how it will handy it? Can't find any reviews on the net about them. Thanks.

it will handle it maxed out at 1024 x 768 25 - 60 fps depending on location and detail, its not a frantic game like some so a bit of frame drop is ok to keep the candy up

Regards to temperature, i could'nt tell you what the actual temp ingame is (61ish if i quit to nmonitor) but i suffered graphic anonomies due to too high an overclock. tweaked back the gpu/vram and all is good.
I can certainly see this game stressing hardware. my wife was astounded by the graphics when she had a peek! i thought they were on a par with Oblivion but in a grimier way.

first session of playing it and im loving it :)

definately a card stresser, even in the bleak outdoor landscape there's masses of things going on with weird anomalies flickering & warping everywhere you look
Lets hope the next patch improves framerate as promised

The indoor areas of the game can hit GFX cards hard. The Brain Scorcher indoor area look amazing and the lighting effects really push the hardware.
I run it at 1600x1200 with all settings to max and its luvely. :D

out of interest the anonomalies were just that!
twas raining. tried to look up but could'nt get above 45 deg. sort of band of blurry rain but all ok when looking level again.
got to the rookie camp, went to the door of the trader, could'nt turn left?
sort of motion blurring effect to left but ok other directions.
could'nt then go forward down steps to trader door.
same again, funny blury corruption. had to go downstairs backwards.
mouse would'nt let me go left or ahead!
lowered gfx clock, re-booted and all is well with the world.

gfx o/c? game bug? I put it down to gfx o/c as it has'nt done it since.

Just started playing this, and it's running really well. The lack of AA is massively off putting, but I can live with it I guess.

Having loads of trouble early on though. I really suck at FPS, and there are some dogs early on (after finishing the first camp) that are just fcking me up. Any tips? I read on another forum about a decent gun quite early on, but there seemed to be massive spoilers on there so I didn't read on.

I think I could really enjoy this game, has a nice feel to it.

davejm said:
Just started playing this, and it's running really well. The lack of AA is massively off putting, but I can live with it I guess.

Having loads of trouble early on though. I really suck at FPS, and there are some dogs early on (after finishing the first camp) that are just fcking me up. Any tips? I read on another forum about a decent gun quite early on, but there seemed to be massive spoilers on there so I didn't read on.

I think I could really enjoy this game, has a nice feel to it.

AA can be turned on - how to is on tweakguides.

As for your prob, I'm not sure where you mean - I guess before the first "Move on to next level" box appear??. I've just pretty much ignored to dogs. If you run past them they soon get bored quickly.

MooSey-UK said:
SNIP

gfx o/c? game bug? I put it down to gfx o/c as it has'nt done it since.

I'm on my 2nd way through STALKER and only once has it ever given me a problem and I think that was GFX card based rather than the game. Considering the amount of problems people have had I've been quite lucky with it. Game patching and card driver updates hasn't given any grief.

I probably just need to stop being so sucky at FPS' and learn how to shoot more accurately.

I did use the AA tweak, but it doesn't really work too well. Makes a bit of a difference, but going from games where there aren't any jaggies at all, kinda feels a bit annoying. It still looks lovely though.

davejm said:
I probably just need to stop being so sucky at FPS' and learn how to shoot more accurately.

I did use the AA tweak, but it doesn't really work too well. Makes a bit of a difference, but going from games where there aren't any jaggies at all, kinda feels a bit annoying. It still looks lovely though.
You wont even notice later in the game.

A useful tip for anyone just starting the game, make damn sure you wedge open the first traders door by knocking over the red gas bottle and rolling it in the way of the open door. If you don't you may very well come back to him later in the game and find the door stuck shut and not responding to "f" presses, hence buggering up your game there and then. This happened to me and I had to restart. Did a search on the net and it was a common problem, some sya it could be solved by lobbing a nade round the corner till it blows open, or it may have been fixed in a patch. Either way, its wise to block the door open as soon as you can to avoid this grief.

Aside from that I reckon it was one of the most atmosperic games I've played in years, especially the final level. The quality of the environment models staggered me and I spent a while looking at Chernobyl sites comparing things liek the reactor building and Pripyat to the models in the game. The final level really does give a sense of perpesctive to the game.

Just got a reply back from THQ support re my problem with constant dying after entering dark valley. the savegame I sent gave them the same problem & they cannot figure out whats wrong, they have now asked for Dxdiag information & suggested I reloaded a save from earlier on & get to the dark valley again, I did & its still the same. either the barman gave me a faulty suit LOL or I dont know what.
Anyhow THQ support are to be commended for actually doing something to try & resolve it

what is the monster called that ive just tryed to kill and got owned :D i was just coming out sewers then errie music came on and i thought here we go son get some of this :p but when i looked at him woopssss :eek: sucked me alway upto him with his special watever it is and hammered me :D :D can you actually kill them or do you just leg it

Back
Top Bottom