*** The Official Samsung Galaxy Note II Thread ***

Soldato
S3 or note 2?

life is just too complicated :(

Note II all day long, if you can handle the size. If I still had my Note I would have upgraded to this, but I'm currently happy with the S3.

The Note was brilliant and I do miss the screen, it was only let down by dodgy battery life with the ICS update and it was slightly laggy out of the box. With JellyBean and the software updates, and the bigger battery and improved specs, this looks like a very good upgrade from the Note imo.

Soldato
...Not in my book it doesn't. For a given diagonal screen size, 16:10 provides more screen area. For example, the Note2 has only 2.4% larger screen area than the original note, whereas a 16:10 5.5" screen would have been 7.7% larger.

Then by that logic why not have a 1:1 screen? Your issue is with the size of the screen not the aspect ratio.

16:9 is the universal standard for virtually everything these days, what does 16:10 offer other than the "benefit" you're highlighted?

Soldato
I understand his point. Web browsing is probably the most used feature of the phone. Websites are designed for width not height, so for a fixed width of 1280 you're losing 10% off the bottom of the screen. For things like note taking, one of the phones main selling points, a wider screen also makes sense. I use my phone pretty regularly for things like watching videos, where 16:9 is clearly better, but that is only a tiny proportion of the time I spend using the phone overall.

I'm ambivalent but I think overall it probably makes more sense to go with a more commonly used aspect ratio. I think I would find having apps that don't display correctly more annoying than losing 10% off the bottom of a webpage. Even more annoying though is the feeling that the screen is a downgrade.

Soldato
Then by that logic why not have a 1:1 screen? Your issue is with the size of the screen not the aspect ratio.

16:9 is the universal standard for virtually everything these days, what does 16:10 offer other than the "benefit" you're highlighted?

Better portrait website viewing for one thing. A less elongated phone for a better pocket fit.

I'm still not understanding why you think your opinion on screen ratio is somehow a universal truth? The original note was 16:10, and did quite well for itself.

Soldato

Better portrait website viewing for one thing. A less elongated phone for a better pocket fit.

I'm still not understanding why you think your opinion on screen ratio is somehow a universal truth? The original note was 16:10, and did quite well for itself.

I don't, you contested my opinion and I was curious as to why you'd prefer an aspect ratio which will result in loss of pixel real estate in much of its usage.

Soldato
16:9 and 720p is fine but no sAMOLED+? Oh dear, 267ppi with a pentile matrix is a bit rubbish. (For me reading gets harsh after a while)

Associate
Really liking the look of this, will definitely need to try one out in a shop though before buying. Although people have got me worrying about the screen now :o

Also I'm interested to see what the next round of iPhone, Nexus and WP8 phones will be like before making a firm decision either way.

Soldato
There's rumoured to be a Nexus that's about the same size as the note 2. If it beats the Note 2 in the resolusion stakes then my attention will move towards that

Back
Top Bottom