*** The Official Samsung Galaxy Note II Thread ***

Soldato
samsung-galaxy-note.jpg
samsung-galaxy-note-2.jpg

he pixels of the Note II have one tall Blue sub-pixel on the left and smaller Green and Red pixels stacked one on top of the other. It's an odd arrangement, but it has three subpixels per pixel. The reason for the different Blue pixel is that Blue AMOLEDs typically have a shorter life and making them bigger balances things out. Also, the Blue pixel doesn't shine as brightly, which also improves its life, but doesn't affect color balance (because it's bigger).

Soo 3 subpixels - which makes it a halfway RGB screen?

One cool addition to the display settings is that even with Automatic brightness turned on, the brightness slider remains active. This allows you to fine-tune the brightness, but still have it adjust automatically to the environment.

Wahey! Finally....just like on the iPhone!!

Also 478 cd/m2 max brightness - awesome! SGS3 is 330.

http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_note_ii_n7100-review-806p2.php

Soldato
Not sure if that's an issue anymore, the S2 maximum brightness was more then enough for me and i usually have it at about 60%. Any more brightness avalible to me would be wasted

Soldato
Not sure if that's an issue anymore, the S2 maximum brightness was more then enough for me and i usually have it at about 60%. Any more brightness avalible to me would be wasted

An S2 in bright sunlight is only just about readable. It's always better to a brighter screen than not - more headroom.

Associate
Maybe it should be called rgB or RGB!
Either way it's got to be good news and should put a lot of minds at rest.

Now all we need is a release date and confirmed pricing for the UK.

Soldato
This kind of blue-biased RGB sub-pixel arrangement is likely to become the norm for OLED screens - both in phones and in larger screens. One of the issues of OLED technology is that the different sub-pixels decay at different rates, which leads to loss of colour accuracy over time. The most direct workaround for this is to have larger blue sub-pixels, which operate at a lower percentage of their maximum brightness - thus extending their lifespan.

To quote wikipedia:

wiki said:
Additionally, as the OLED material used to produce blue light degrades significantly more rapidly than the materials that produce other colors, blue light output will decrease relative to the other colors of light. This variation in the differential color output will change the color balance of the display and is much more noticeable than a decrease in overall luminance.[62] This can be partially avoided by adjusting colour balance but this may require advanced control circuits and interaction with the user, which is unacceptable for some users. In order to delay the problem, manufacturers bias the colour balance towards blue so that the display initially has an artificially blue tint, leading to complaints of artificial-looking, over-saturated colors. More commonly, though, manufacturers optimize the size of the R, G and B subpixels to reduce the current density through the subpixel in order to equalize lifetime at full luminance. For example, a blue subpixel may be 100% larger than the green subpixel. The red subpixel may be 10% smaller than the green.

The sub-pixel arrangement above should therefore extend the life of the screen in comparison to the "uniform-striped" RGB arrangement used in (for example) the GS2. Or, at least, allow a more consistent colour accuracy over time.

Back
Top Bottom