****The Official Samsung Galaxy S II Thread***

everyone happy with there SG2 then? im considering ordering on the o2 tonight, i kinda still enjoy my Desire, worth the upgrade? its pretty beaten up now lol.

also the HTC sensation looks pretty sweet, but the sammy seems to win overall if you looks at comparisons on the web.

Is everyone happy with the build quality? are you likely to survive a drop on the floor from waist height?

More than happy with mine, I also upgraded from a Desire and it just feels so much more premium. Picking up the Desire now and it feels like a kids toy.

As for a drop from waist height, without a case I imagine it would only suffer scratches to the body work, hopefully the gorilla glass could with stand a drop from that high. With a case it should be perfectly fine.

Basically just go and order one, you won't be disappointed :D

I've noticed another "missing" thing too, in Samsung's dialler when you use T9 search it only lists the first number if a contact has multiple numbers.

Another reason to use Dialer One :p

The contacts manager is rather nice though, much prefer it to SenseUI, this is more in line style wise to Gingerbread.

I'll list all missing bits I come across and bugs in my review of course but so far everything missing (bar notification LED) is software related so the ball is in the XDA Devs court :p

I've noticed another "missing" thing too, in Samsung's dialler when you use T9 search it only lists the first number if a contact has multiple numbers.

The contacts manager is rather nice though, much prefer it to SenseUI, this is more in line style wise to Gingerbread.

I'll list all missing bits I come across and bugs in my review of course but so far everything missing (bar notification LED) is software related so the ball is in the XDA Devs court :p

you hoping for cm7 bud?

I'm quite happy with the stuff in Samsung's ROM at the moment, the contacts manager which I've already mentioned is really nice as is the camera app (auto contrast and matrix metering work really well) but I don't care for the Samsung xxxx hub apps or anything like that so I'll leave them hidden in Go Launcher EX.

If there is a CM7 build out for it I'll install it but only if the possibility of keeping the Samsung Camera app remains and contacts manager. Otherwise just normal root access will do me fine.

Of course XCM7 won't matter if the XDA people manage to add the missing stuff into a custom Samsung ROM :p

While i've never owned an Android phone before so don't know what's on offer, short of my inability to set up proxy settings for certain wifi access points, I've found little that it is unable to do that i need.

Considering the flak samsung software gets i think it's pretty damn good

Does anyone know when SGS2 will be officially available in Orange shop?

I know i can get it from P4U or CWH, but their deals are quite expensive.

For example, on official O2 website you can get SGS2 for £27/mth + 49.99£ cost of the phone. You get 500MB, 300min and Unl txt, 24mth contract.

What is interesting is a fact that neighter, CWH nor P4U dont have this deal. They have deals from the upper shelves.

Hence im curious when Orange will have Galaxy S2 in its shops. And orange, because their 3G coverage is the best (?), or so i saw on their coverage map.

everyone happy with there SG2 then? im considering ordering on the o2 tonight, i kinda still enjoy my Desire, worth the upgrade? its pretty beaten up now lol.

also the HTC sensation looks pretty sweet, but the sammy seems to win overall if you looks at comparisons on the web.

Is everyone happy with the build quality? are you likely to survive a drop on the floor from waist height?

I moved from a Desire which I loved, but after a day I looked back at my Desire and realised how rubbish it is in comparison. Rubbish in so many ways :o

I use TouchPal Dialer and Contacts... looks nicer than Dialer One, which I used to use :)

I moved from a Desire which I loved, but after a day I looked back at my Desire and realised how rubbish it is in comparison. Rubbish in so many ways :o

Care to elaborate? I'm kind of teetering on the edge right now (current desire owner also) so aside from the screen quality and camera quality I'm wandering what else blows it out the water :)

I use TouchPal Dialer and Contacts... looks nicer than Dialer One, which I used to use :)

Looks nicer but doesn't support landscape orientation. Dialer one with the dark theme looks nice though anyway.

Is the edge of the screen similar to the Desire, in that it traps dirt/dust easily?

Also, does anyone know the stock situation at all for stores? I'm planning on getting mine on Saturday because Halifax are gay.

Care to elaborate? I'm kind of teetering on the edge right now (current desire owner also) so aside from the screen quality and camera quality I'm wandering what else blows it out the water :)

Purely on speed the S2 absolutely pees and poos on everything else....web browsing for example is shockingly fast, everything is so responsive, in fact it feels like you are using a super fast PC (I have yet to see any indication of a freeze or loading)..for example installing an app seems instant...on that basis alone I would be happy.

Then theres the camera...the camera is way better than any other Android's or iPhone I have seen....1080p videos are incredible...

It's been a while where a company has dropped a phone which literally ticks all boxes...generally devices roll out 1 big hardware feature, but the S2 has just taken everything out there and beat them...speed, camera, screen...I wouldnt be surprised if Apple et al have had to go back to the drawing board with what they had planned its that good.

Even devout Iphone 4 users I know, for the first time, say that the phone is actually very good..my g/f who is a typical Apple consumer now wants a S2.

There are a few small niggles but these are sorted out by Android apps.

Hasnt been a phone for ages that has presented such a great jump for me (the last one for me was a WM5 phone coming from monochrome devices)

Is the edge of the screen similar to the Desire, in that it traps dirt/dust easily?

Also, does anyone know the stock situation at all for stores? I'm planning on getting mine on Saturday because Halifax are gay.

The Desire never had a problem with dust on the screen edge, not from my year's ownership experience anyway!

The GS II has more of a pronounced "edge" where bezel meets screen so may trap more dust but I wipe my phone and blow it almost daily anyway so this isn't a problem.

Back
Top Bottom