***The Official Samsung Galaxy S III Thread***

hi
just upgraded to one of these and have a couple of questions

i have a 32gb sd card can i use it for apps?
is it worth rooting and installing a custom rom?
can it be reverted back to stock easily if i do?

You can use the 32GB card for everything except apps. It's up to you whether you want to fiddle about with roms, should be simple enough to revert. I'm happy with the way the stock rom works, does everything i need and more so see little point in tinkering with it.

I don't understand what custom roms offer over stock. I'm really curious and am considering it, but if it just a case of the same system with just a few tinkered menus, bars, and lock screens.
What am I going to gain?

Last edited:
Not sure how your having problems with the screen. Looks damn near identical between my work iphone 4 and my S3 at normal viewing distances. (8-10") I cannot discern actual pixels until about 4" which you'd never be at. Maybe a cleartype smoothing difference?

Build quality is fine, my S3 has no finish issues. No damage out of the box for one and it all fits together tightly with no movement or creaks during use. The plastic used is just as durable as aluminium. (got more give in it before it permanently deforms) Neither is any more likely to survive being dropped, nor is either any more scratch resistant. Sensible materials for sensible prices. I won't deny that aluminium and glass might look more exotic, but it just pushes the cost up unnecessarily, it's a tool not a fashion accessory. Don't get me wrong, i'm not bashing you or the iphone. I like the iphone 4, but it wasn't suited to me due to the lack of microSD and swappable batteries.

I wouldn't say I had problems with the screen, it just isn't as sharp compared to my i4. It could be because I am spoilt on high PPI screens though as I have an iPad3 too.

As for the materials, I am not a fan of plastic and do prefer some solid materials to be honest. At the end of the day I bought the thing for the hardware...and google maps.

A small bit of performance (possibly), a different "Android experience" (usually purer), less crapware, often more customisation possibly. Obviously you remove carrier limitations and their inherit delay in releasing new versions of the OS too. You lose your warranty doing this for the record unless you triangleAway the problem. It used to be more of a requirement for older handsets where you could reap significant performance by enabling certain things etc... now it's not so much a issue.

emu - it uses the onboard memory for apps sorry. you can fix this with a ROM if you really really want to but I highly advise you don't do this, it can really break stuff.

I don't understand what custom roms offer over stock. I'm really curious and am considering it, but if it just a case of the same system with just a few tinkered menus, bars, and lock screens.
What am I going to gain?

From all I see you don't gain much, seems most aren't 100% functional (e.g. some don't work with the camera) and looking over this thread it seems those who do install them experience lots of bugs - lag, memory leaks etc.

On the upside some appear to improve battery life and have small footprints, which was useful when phones had limited space and carrier filled them with bloat. I think the biggest draw is the fact that they are just different from stock.

My phone (and N7) are unrooted on stock ROMs, like you I don't see the point really.

From all I see you don't gain much, seems most aren't 100% functional (e.g. some don't work with the camera) and looking over this thread it seems those who do install them experience lots of bugs - lag, memory leaks etc.

On the upside some appear to improve battery life and have small footprints, which was useful when phones had limited space and carrier filled them with bloat. I think the biggest draw is the fact that they are just different from stock.

My phone (and N7) are unrooted on stock ROMs, like you I don't see the point really.

I'd agree with you about custom ROMs, they have some benefits but generally they're not game changers. Rooting however is an absolute must, the amount of things you can't do with an unrooted phone that most of us take for granted really is a game changer!

I wouldn't say I had problems with the screen, it just isn't as sharp compared to my i4. It could be because I am spoilt on high PPI screens though as I have an iPad3 too
you're entitled to your own opinion but coming in saying it's not as good when an iPhone 4/4S has 1/3 less pixels but only a 10% increase in pixel density seems like an odd arguement (especially when you then mention an iPad 3, which is by far the weakest of these 3 devices in PPI count). The screen in the SGS3 is huge compared to a 3.5" iPhone, if you prefer smaller screens that would have been a better way to put it honestly. My 4/4S/5 devices are fine things but the display is personally one of the things that I don't think it does too well at these days, especially in comparison to OLED screens or High detail LCD such as the one X.

Also, sharpness is the ability for an object to reproduce the quality of the original image isn't it? By the fact the display on the SGS3 is able to display 50% more pixels over the 4S doesn't that make it the winner?

I'd agree with you about custom ROMs, they have some benefits but generally they're not game changers. Rooting however is an absolute must, the amount of things you can't do with an unrooted phone that most of us take for granted really is a game changer!

Such as. I have never rooted either? How would that also benefit?

once it is rooted cant the apps be moved to the sd card .

Kenneth.

Some of them yes but the main reason why i rooted my SGS3 was to increase the volume, now its insanely loud at full pelt. Also i rooted to play a few games that wouldnt work on the SGS3.

I havent delved into custom roms and such, i like my SGS3 the way it is, a few hacks installed and im pretty happy. Im now waiting on the official JB update to come through.

Can anyone advise how I would go about returning the phone to stock?

I'm running the stock ROM, all I have done is rooted the phone, and flashed a ninphetamin3 Kernel to allow adjustment of clock speeds/voltages, but i've encountered a bit of instability recently (touch screen failing, some lag) and think this kernel must be the cause.

Such as. I have never rooted either? How would that also benefit?

These are just a few apps that come to mind that I use daily, there's a lot more benefits, but I've only. got a few minutes at the moment sorry.

AdFree - Removes all adverts from free apps
AutomateIt - Some functions on this sort of app (Controlling the state of various functions of the phone based on different circumstance triggers) require root access, some don't.
Chainfire3D - Allows you to play games that were designed as Tegra only
ClockwordMod - Allows you easy installs of zips (update packages basically), backups, restores etc etc
Recovering deleted items from the phone's memory
Titanium backup - Backup and restore apps extremely easily

Basically there's a lot more apps. None are exactly 100% essential to use the phone, but they can add a lot to the experience or make things a lot easier!

JB Domination 1.3.3 is out now :)

Much better! SMS app being themed fully now too. Samsung need to sort themselves out and not use colours that best suit FroYo as opposed to ICS/JB!

JBDomination1.3.3.png

:cool:

Also, PowerAMP now updated with full JB extended notifications support.

Just got off the phone with google, they said because ive never bought anything before that my account will be subject to security checks and it could take upto 24 hours. arghh no sale for me. :(

Back
Top Bottom