***The Official Samsung Galaxy S III Thread***

Had quotes of £60 and £180 to get the screen replaced on my SGS3. One obviously includes the digitiser, one doesn't.

I suspect the glass is all that's needed, assuming I trust the back street bloke with a mullet to get the digitiser off and back on in one piece.

I've never done an S3, but if changing just the glass is the same sort of job as the iPhone and involves using a heat gun which I suspect it probably does, it's not easy and can go horribly wrong.

Battery life on mine seems to be doing quite well with average use. I reckon i might be able to coax another day out of it. The percentages don't seem to look right though as 12% of 96hrs is 11.5hrs screen on time, which seems high. (71hrs of cell standbay and 13.5hrs of device idle all added together makes 96)
Screenshot_2012-09-30-22-26-57.png

According to that you've hardly even used your smart phone! Nowhere near what anyone would call average use!

I suggest giving it away and buying a John's Phone :p

Edit*

This is average use:

Screenshot_2012-09-30-22-57-35.png
Screenshot_2012-09-30-22-57-44.png

Last edited:
:D Ok i'll admit, that's average use for me, which is low use for everyone else. Normal use prior to getting the S3 was to give it a prod once a week or so (if i remembered) to see if i'd missed any calls. I'd usually find the thing so flat that it sometimes wouldn't even switch on to tell me it was flat.

Average use is picking up emails, browsing the net during lunch, listening to music whilst out walking and sending a few texts. Still not a patch on my mum's wildfire S. I looked at the battery stats for that and it had been going 7 days straight and still had 20% left.

Detailed history suggests i don't use it much. I put it into aeroplane mode overnight which would explain the gaps in network signal.
Screenshot_2012-09-30-23-13-01.png

Back on ICS. I stupidly installed Chainfire 3d Pro on a JB rom and it wouldnt startup. Only backup was ICS (which was weird as there was a JB one too which the phone couldnt see).

Ill install JB again when the English one is released.

:D Ok i'll admit, that's average use for me, which is low use for everyone else. Normal use prior to getting the S3 was to give it a prod once a week or so (if i remembered) to see if i'd missed any calls. I'd usually find the thing so flat that it sometimes wouldn't even switch on to tell me it was flat.

Average use is picking up emails, browsing the net during lunch, listening to music whilst out walking and sending a few texts. Still not a patch on my mum's wildfire S. I looked at the battery stats for that and it had been going 7 days straight and still had 20% left.

Detailed history suggests i don't use it much. I put it into aeroplane mode overnight which would explain the gaps in network signal.

Something isnt right there, you say average use is browsing the net at lunch, yet in your first screenshot there is no sign of a browser being used, same no music app, or gmail, to me looks like your phone is left in deep sleep all day bar the odd bit of screen on time and airplane mode at night, no wifi use at all.

By the look of it you may as well switch your phone off and save even more battery.

Last edited:
Ok, i see your point i use my smartphone very little. Don't see the point in using it much at home as anything other than a phone as i can use my pc and i can't use it in work until my lunch break. The only time it takes a hammering is when i'm at my freelance job as i use the wifi connection a lot during the day. I have no wifi at home either so i can't go nuts downloading with the phone.

I only used the browser for around half an hour twice (you can see the steep drops in battery level on the graph) I also use the music player twice for half hour each time as well. Why they don't appear in the list i do't know. Checking email takes no more than 30 seconds for me so i doubt it'd even show on the graph at 4 days. The apps i use are all default samsung if that makes a difference. The only 3rd party apps that are in use are the met office and words with friends.

Actual screen on time as displayed was 2hrs 58mins. Benjo was right that the percentage shown is how much of the battery it has consumed rather than a percentage of time. (which was what had me confused)

Screen on mine cracked over the weekend, put it on charge before I had some dinner and it was fine, picked it back up after dinner and there's a big crack from top to bottom, nobody had been near it (we were all at the dinner table). Going to have to pay to get it repaired and then I'll probably sell it on, wish I'd kept my 4S now, at least it didn't decide to destroy itself.

So it broke on its own and your going to just pay to repair it, i would be straight back to the shop i bought it at kicking up a fuss, its up to them to proove you damaged it, not you to proove you didnt.

Screen on mine cracked over the weekend, put it on charge before I had some dinner and it was fine, picked it back up after dinner and there's a big crack from top to bottom, nobody had been near it (we were all at the dinner table). Going to have to pay to get it repaired and then I'll probably sell it on, wish I'd kept my 4S now, at least it didn't decide to destroy itself.

Strangely enough something similar happened to an iPhone while I was holding it. A snap noise and a screen crack from top to bottom - it freaked me out a bit. :)

So it broke on its own and your going to just pay to repair it, i would be straight back to the shop i bought it at kicking up a fuss, its up to them to proove you damaged it, not you to proove you didnt.

It was through dialaphone, so far Orange and Samsung have essentially told me tough ****, on the phone to them now but I'm not expecting much.

edit: Dialphone's menu say's if it's over 28 days old (it's 30 days old) you have to go through their service helpline, they said I'd have to pay for any physical damage.

edit2: Got through to dialaphone customer services who also told me I'd have to pay to get it repaired.

Last edited:
Yeah this does happen, I had it twice on older (non-smart) phones within a week when I tested them a year ago. It's hard for consumers because it sounds like you're making it up even though you are not. From talks direct with manufacturers I have been told it's either heat related or the original screen was a bad one with an imperfection and it was just a matter of time.

Do dialaphone still have that automatically enrolled insurance system? Don't suppose you left it running did you? I can't really think of a way out of this aside from talking to Samsung and saying you are willing to let them test to make sure there was no impact on the phone as proof it did this by itself rather than a drop.

I'm assuming you used the standard charger or at least one with a max of 1A?

Just a case of standing your ground and not letting them talk rubbish.

"Within six months. The shop must prove goods weren't faulty when they sold 'em – after that, you must prove they were."

Back
Top Bottom