***The Official Samsung Galaxy S III Thread***

Soldato
Has anybody had any charging issues with it ? its been great so far but the last couple of days i seem to have been having trouble charging it.. i admit its getting charged off allsorts.. apple plugs with the usb plugged in... blackberry chargers... it seemed to cope with them all but now its not charging as well. I thought maybe the connector had got full of fluff but i cleaned that out and it still doesn't seem happy...

Mine had that :( I flashed back to stock it was fine, so I had it checked out by a shop which Samsung advised me to go to and they said there is a problem and you should get it repaired. So I gave it back to CPW and got it repaired ! !

Soldato
Google would still let the Nexus family get the update before anyone else so it would make no difference.

Bit of a slant you're adding. From the brief 'headlines' and tweets I saw, it was released under AOSP at the same time it was released to the Nexus 7. Doesn't this mean Google gave it out there to everyone? Is it Google's fault that Samsung want to edit it first, before using it? It's hardly Google showing favoritism to their own devices is it?

Soldato
Well yesterday was an interesting day
learn to root, and rom, do it, then learn to reset my binary counter and unroot and do it.
Back to stock now lol

Just wish JB would hurry up, then ill root again and just use a bloatware tool clean it up and leave it at that.
Thing is I was going to flash the Nexus rom on but there are wifi issues and battery drain issues from what ive read, the rom does look amazing tho, if it didnt have issues id be on it.
Thanks for all your help and support those who helped me yesterday !!!

Soldato
You really ought to have a go with AOKP or CM10, you've done the hard bit which is figuring out how to do it!

Its worth saying as well that I've found samsungs practically impossible to brick, and god knows I've tried!

Soldato
Associate
The usb driver is fine, you must be "plugging it in wrong" :D

On a more serious note, someone mentioned to me that the BBC iPlayer app uses Flash, so post JB install it won't work. Is this the case? I notice some "BBC Media Player" in the play store that seems to add weight to this argument, the problem is it's supposed to be pants.

Any ideas?

emu

emu

Associate
The Samsung USB driver is shocking.

It's forever saying USB device not recognised, I reinstall drivers through Kies, Still doesnt work.

I turned phone off and connected it via usb then turned it on, Still not recognised :mad:

switch the connection type from the drop down menu

then switch back again , this worked on win 7 for me

Associate
Sorry for the n00b question but....

I have a white Samsung Galaxy S3 9300 on 3(UK) stock. Not rooted etc.

I am right in thinking that updates will be available from 20th October or will I need to download an official UK stock ROM and flash with ODIN when it becomes available?

Sorry for the n00b question, I just really want Jellybean on my S3. Ta

Associate
Trixyb,

If you are on a stock rom (in other words what the phone came with, presuming you didn't buy it already fiddled with [second hand for instance]) then it will receive an update OTA (over the air), or you can get it through Kies. Sometimes the OTA servers are so hammered that when you get the prompt to update, you can't. If that happens fire up Kies, which in my short history with the phone, will usually get it and then install it via USB.

If you use Kies it's worth doing a backup just for your piece of mind before you update. Just a tip, I have never back up my apps with it as it never seems to work and it's get stuck backing up certain apps.

You can check for updates by going to Settings>About Device>Software Update>Update (presuming that's an option). Or plug it into Kies. Or wait for the update prompt on your device.

As for the 20th October...where did you hear that?

Associate
20th October ? why that date, its not one I've heard thus far.

What will happen is whenever it does get released unbranded handsets will get the update direct from Samsung. At some point after that each of the carriers will release their branded firmware.

So, if you have 3 branded firmware you'll have to wait until they release it, unless you do what you suggest and flash a stock Samsung ROM.

Associate
DTWD,

Thanks for the really quick reply.

I already use Kies and I have had 3 or 4 firmware updates for Ice Cream Sandwich since I have had the phone. I have always performed a full Kies backup each time as well. (or as much as Kies actually lets you backup minus application data).

The main reason for my question is because I am on 3(UK) my understanding is that they are very slow at sending out updates and that they fill them with bloat. As soon as an official stock rom is available I want to flash my phone with it and drop the operator customisation rather than waiting for an OTA update.

My understanding from some Google searches is that the official Google update should reach the UK by 20th October. I would like to know if this happens, would I be able to download the ROM from Samfirmware.com and flash using ODIN or would I have to root the phone first?

Many Thanks :)

Back
Top Bottom