***The Official Samsung Galaxy S III Thread***

Associate
Ah I see.

My understanding from some Google searches is that the official Google update should reach the UK by 20th October.

Although, and I suppose this doesn't really help, but do you mean Samsung? Because the Google Android update has to be fettled with by Samsung before we get it. That's what's released through OTA/Kies with or without further operator crap.

I just want to make sure we are talking about the Samsung 4.1.1 (Jelly Bean), not the new Google 4.1.2 (Jelly Bean)? The latter being for Nexus devices etc, which you can force onto your S3, although it's probably not advised.

Soldato
Does anyone know a good place to get a new screen from, complete with digitiser etc? Don't fancy taking a heat gun to it even if it is cheaper.

You can't get the screen separate, they come as one unit (glued together). Also you'll will have to take a heat gun to it anyway, to remove your broke screen.

Associate
Ah I see.

Although, and I suppose this doesn't really help, but do you mean Samsung? Because the Google Android update has to be fettled with by Samsung before we get it. That's what's released through OTA/Kies with or without further operator crap.

I just want to make sure we are talking about the Samsung 4.1.1 (Jelly Bean), not the new Google 4.1.2 (Jelly Bean)? The latter being for Nexus devices etc, which you can force onto your S3, although it's probably not advised.

Sorry for the confusion - I meant official unbranded International Samsung Galaxy S3 Jellybean ROM

There seems to be a lot of gossip about 20th October! (See below)

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=samsung+galaxy+s3+jellybean+uk&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

Thanks

TrixyB

Soldato
You can't get the screen separate, they come as one unit (glued together). Also you'll will have to take a heat gun to it anyway, to remove your broke screen.

You only need the gun if you're replacing just the glass as far as I know. That's to remove the touch elements from the glass.

Buying the whole package is easier, as it's a full unit. No heating required.

That's the impression I get, anyway.

Soldato
I've got a big scratch on the silver bezel thing, am I right in thinking thats the chassis of the phone meaning it needs to be completely pulled apart to fix?

Is there any way of painting the brushed aluminium back on seeing as its painted plastic not actual aluminium?

Associate
Got myself a S3 on three last week and have now ported my old number across to it. Trouble is the phone still shows the old number in the status screen.

I've had a quick look around and can see that I can't edit my number without rooting and using a custom rom - is this correct?

I've spoken to three and they can give me a new sim but it'll cost me £5.11!

Are there any other alternatives? If I leave it as it is will this cause any problems with apps, etc?

Thanks!

Man of Honour
Got myself a S3 on three last week and have now ported my old number across to it. Trouble is the phone still shows the old number in the status screen.

I've had a quick look around and can see that I can't edit my number without rooting and using a custom rom - is this correct?

I've spoken to three and they can give me a new sim but it'll cost me £5.11!

Are there any other alternatives? If I leave it as it is will this cause any problems with apps, etc?

Thanks!

Correct, I flashed CM10 changed my number on the sim then flashed back.
The only issue it may cause is apps that use that number to automatically fill in fields, but you can just manually change the field.

Associate
Hey all, my lady is on Orange and wants to stick with that network.
I was about to buy her a Unlocked sim free S3 white from the Rain-forest for 424.
Is there a version she can buy direct from Orange with improved spec now for similar money?

Soldato
Hey all, my lady is on Orange and wants to stick with that network.
I was about to buy her a Unlocked sim free S3 white from the Rain-forest for 424.
Is there a version she can buy direct from Orange with improved spec now for similar money?

Yes the LTE version with double RAM, JB out the box and 4G for £450 :)

Soldato
Just a quick question from me.

I'm going to flash from the stock ROM to one of the JB versions around (probably Omega). It's been a while since I've flashed a full ROM. Just to check, what sort of wipe is it worth doing beforehand? Just a full wipe of the data partition? This will leave my SD card files intact right?

Back
Top Bottom