***The Official Samsung Galaxy S III Thread***

Soldato
thanks richie
i think im going to unroot again and wait for JB from O2
i need to rest the flash counter dont it to recieve OTA updates am i right in saying ?
reset counter with traiangle away, then flash stock FW via odin ?

Soldato
Looks like it could be a while until us 'sim free' owners get the JB release.
Think samsung are going down the same lines as the update for ICS for the S2 which means they wont release the unbranded JB until all the branded operators have theirs out.

Its to make sure that JB will work on all the networks.. Its a pain but it could be a few more weeks until we get ours.

The ICS update for sim free S2 users came 4 weeks after 'Three' released theirs!!!.

O2 have just confirmed the update will be available for their users tomorrow.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Absolute joke, the thing is, if these networks have approved the JB updates and added their own stuff then that means that you sim free owners should have got the update like weeks ago!

Just makes no sense, that is the reason people buy sim free android phones, in order to get updates quickly.........

Soldato
Absolute joke, the thing is, if these networks have approved the JB updates and added their own stuff then that means that you sim free owners should have got the update like weeks ago!

Just makes no sense, that is the reason people buy sim free android phones, in order to get updates quickly.........

its A reason not THE reason.

the reason I buy sim free is because I change a lot so contracts wouldn't work for me, to be honest whilst I think it's logical that updates would hit sim free quicker it's also a much smaller part of the market at a guess so I'm sure they're focussing on their noisy network customers first.

Caporegime
Nexus - It's happened a few times now though so it's really no surprise.

Like last time 3 got the update first. Impatient people should just flash the 3 ROM.

I know I know, but it just annoys me so much! :mad: The principle of it! :p

It is already bad enough the android update procedure and doesn't need to be made any more painful having to wait for absolutely no reason other than to please the network locked device owners.

its A reason not THE reason.

the reason I buy sim free is because I change a lot so contracts wouldn't work for me, to be honest whilst I think it's logical that updates would hit sim free quicker it's also a much smaller part of the market at a guess so I'm sure they're focussing on their noisy network customers first.

Suppose.

But either way, there is no advantage of them doing this. It is not like the networks will get the updates out quicker just because Samsung are holding back on releasing the update for sim free devices until every branded phone gets it first. As soon as Samsung release the update to the networks, it is then up to the networks to do their best to get it done quickly.

All they are doing is hurting the sim free device owners who do care about getting the newest update within a decent time frame.

Last edited:
Soldato
thanks richie
i think im going to unroot again and wait for JB from O2
i need to rest the flash counter dont it to recieve OTA updates am i right in saying ?
reset counter with traiangle away, then flash stock FW via odin ?

You don't need to reset the counter to flash any Roms. The counter is just there for Sammy techs to see that the phone has had a non-standard Rom on it at some point, the higher the number, the more non-Sammy Roms.

Flash back to a standard O2 ROM and you'll be set for tomorrow.

Re: unlocked (BTU) v network roms:

I agree it's ridiculous. The 9305 (LTE S3) has been out for a couple of weeks. There is no way that the 9305 is THAT different from the 9300 which would stop JB for 9300 being out before 9305 hit shelves.

I am annoyed. Not surprised, but annoyed. Yes I could flash a custom ROM and, prior to JB coming out officially, I would agree but this is not the case. The standard BTU Rom is available and that is patently obvious yet Samsung have not rolled it out and, as yet, have given no reason for it and no genuine reason can be thought of.

Irritating is probably the right word.

Soldato

i thought it was you could go from sim operator to operator without being tied to one ?

You don't need to reset the counter to flash any Roms. The counter is just there for Sammy techs to see that the phone has had a non-standard Rom on it at some point, the higher the number, the more non-Sammy Roms.

Flash back to a standard O2 ROM and you'll be set for tomorrow.

even when rooted on stock o2 rom i will be able to get OTA JB, but ill loose the root ?

Last edited:
Soldato
WanamLite Jelly bean XXDLJ1 V4.0 Android 4.1.1 Fast & Smooth & Rock Stable

Changes log:

Based on LJ1
NEDLI1 modem
BTU as default CSC
H3G CSC (122 csc )
Repacked LJ1 kernel
Debloated (Removed All share, Svoice, SocialHub, Chaton, SamsungApps,Yahoo, useless widgets...)
Smart Rotation support
Enabled Emoji support on the Messaging app (untested)
Maybe more things i don't remember

http://wanamlite.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=11293

Soldato
I've just ordered my S3 as I was due an upgrade. What's the best way to back it up as soon as I get it, as I plan on installing a custom ROM, however I want to make sure I have to official ROM backed up in case.

Soldato
I've just ordered my S3 as I was due an upgrade. What's the best way to back it up as soon as I get it, as I plan on installing a custom ROM, however I want to make sure I have to official ROM backed up in case.

I'm a bit new as well but grab a copy of CWM and use that to back up, I think it does a full image of the phone but I'm not 100% on that.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1719744

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom