***The Official Samsung Galaxy S III Thread***

Associate
Received and installed the Vodafone update. When it had completed there was a new disclaimer thing to accept, when I did it came up with the error

"Your device has been modified. Software updates are not available."

Does the same now if I manually check for an update. So looks like I'm locked out of future updates? Anyone else had it ?

I'm guessing that the branded firmware doesn't match some sort of signature thats is expected and thus the phone thinks its modified.

I really wish carriers would stop wasting their time messing about with firmware. They don't seem to understand it very well and provide absolutely no benefit whatsoever. They could spend the money giving us better deals / investing in their networks.

Soldato
I sometimes despair why people who want to go ahead and do semi-advanced things like flashing ROM's fail to read even a section of any threads dealing with said Roms. Examples:

1. I get force closes on UI since installing JB Domination.

mrk has said numerous times that you MUST install standard 15 toggles after flashing Wanam BEFORE flashing JB Domination to guarantee this not to happen.

2. I am missing things like Live Wallpapers or Fonts now since going to Wanam 4.0

In the Wanam thread it is stated that these have been removed as bloat. If you want to re-add them then flash the "removed apps" zip and you will get them. Since 4.0.1, you can now add them with the new Aroma installer during flash.

3. Things are slightly diff now e.g. this stupid font picker

It's a cusomt ROM. The idea with that is that it is NOT standard. If you like standard then, in the case of Wanam, go get his unmodded version which is available.

I am not having a go at anyone in particular here. Over the last few months it just seems to becoming the norm that no one reads threads at all on a lot of forums. I understand that you cannot be expected to read 50+ pages but to not even read 2 pages worth of posts (around 60) before posting is pretty poor. Also, think about it. If people DID read a couple of pages, the threads may not reach 50+ pages in the first place as the questions are answered.

Soldato
I sometimes despair why people who want to go ahead and do semi-advanced things like flashing ROM's fail to read even a section of any threads dealing with said Roms. Examples:

1. I get force closes on UI since installing JB Domination.

mrk has said numerous times that you MUST install standard 15 toggles after flashing Wanam BEFORE flashing JB Domination to guarantee this not to happen.

2. I am missing things like Live Wallpapers or Fonts now since going to Wanam 4.0

In the Wanam thread it is stated that these have been removed as bloat. If you want to re-add them then flash the "removed apps" zip and you will get them. Since 4.0.1, you can now add them with the new Aroma installer during flash.

3. Things are slightly diff now e.g. this stupid font picker

It's a cusomt ROM. The idea with that is that it is NOT standard. If you like standard then, in the case of Wanam, go get his unmodded version which is available.

I am not having a go at anyone in particular here. Over the last few months it just seems to becoming the norm that no one reads threads at all on a lot of forums. I understand that you cannot be expected to read 50+ pages but to not even read 2 pages worth of posts (around 60) before posting is pretty poor. Also, think about it. If people DID read a couple of pages, the threads may not reach 50+ pages in the first place as the questions are answered.

Pretty much summed it up.

People need to learn to search threads/internet before posting.

Though saying that, some of the drivel I've seen recently makes you wonder if they should even have internet!

Soldato
Received and installed the Vodafone update. When it had completed there was a new disclaimer thing to accept, when I did it came up with the error

"Your device has been modified. Software updates are not available."

Does the same now if I manually check for an update. So looks like I'm locked out of future updates? Anyone else had it ?

I'm guessing that the branded firmware doesn't match some sort of signature thats is expected and thus the phone thinks its modified.

I really wish carriers would stop wasting their time messing about with firmware. They don't seem to understand it very well and provide absolutely no benefit whatsoever. They could spend the money giving us better deals / investing in their networks.

You might just find they have added something to stop the updated people hammering their servers again for a while... You never know.

Soldato
I'll check tonight crafty, I'm still running stock on one of my handsets. It's likely your current sig doesn't match the current (older) voda sig as it's in partial rollout still, give it a few days and it will probably be OK :)

Soldato
I am going to test how much Google Now + Latitude hammer the battery.

Last night I setup Bettery Battery Stats (BBS) to start recording with GNow switched off. It used 4% battery in 11 hours (deep sleep for about 10.5 hours)

I have now just switched GNow on about 45 mins ago. Lets see how it does. To make it fair, I will reset BBS tonight so that it is doing it over the same time i.e. not receiving SMS/calls which I do during the day.

I shall report back when I see :)

Associate
Have searched the thread, but came up blank so will ask.

Running WanamLite 4.0 (With JB Dom 1.4 and some other tweaks such as centre clock)

On the older Wanam's and Omegas i used to use the stock AOSP android keyboard, bit this does no work on the latest, and just freezes.

Is there a version that does work correctly?

Soldato
how do i save a contact that has been sent to me via txt, without having to download it, use a file explorer to locate the file then import it to my contacts ??

just a simple method like every other phone ive used,

starting to find very annoying things with this s3 / android system now

Associate
how do i save a contact that has been sent to me via txt, without having to download it, use a file explorer to locate the file then import it to my contacts ??

press the menu soft button and select "Add to Contacts" option.

or press and hold the message and select "Add to Contacts"

Soldato
Hi updated my o2 phone to 4.1.1 this morning. Tried at first to do this through Kies but everytime I clicked on update Kies shut down so I did it through the phone itself. I was quite relieved to find all of my stuff still on the phone after the update..
Chris

Soldato

Running WanamLite 4.0 (With JB Dom 1.4 and some other tweaks such as centre clock)

On the older Wanam's and Omegas i used to use the stock AOSP android keyboard, bit this does no work on the latest, and just freezes.

Is that the "Android 4.1" Keyboard? I eventually just froze it in TB as I had the same problem. I just use the Samsung keyboard now. Never used the Android one before so it didn't bother me but whenever I tried to set it up or use it the phone froze for 2-3 seconds.... No idea why :confused:

I just tried it. I sent myself a contact as a "namecard" (cost me a price of an MMS you tart! :p). When I received the message, showed me the file as a .vcf file. I selected it and it asked me where I wanted to import it to. Imported it and the contact was added with no issues.

What format is the contact file you received in?

Edit: Do NOT press the disk icon. Press the actual filename itself. Pressing the disk icon saves the file. Pressing the name imports it to the phonebook.

I guess you can say Android has more options then ;) :p

Last edited:
Associate
Is that the "Android 4.1" Keyboard? I eventually just froze it in TB as I had the same problem. I just use the Samsung keyboard now. Never used the Android one before so it didn't bother me but whenever I tried to set it up or use it the phone froze for 2-3 seconds.... No idea why :confused:

Yeah, that one.

I've disabled it, but i do like the stock AOSP keyboard and hate the Samsung Stock Keyboard, so looking for a solution.

Soldato
I just tried it. I sent myself a contact as a "namecard" (cost me a price of an MMS you tart! :p). When I received the message, showed me the file as a .vcf file. I selected it and it asked me where I wanted to import it to. Imported it and the contact was added with no issues.

What format is the contact file you received in?

Edit: Do NOT press the disk icon. Press the actual filename itself. Pressing the disk icon saves the file. Pressing the name imports it to the phonebook.

I guess you can say Android has more options then ;) :p

thanks for reply richie

im going to throw the phone away and hide now ;)

i wasn't giving the mms enough time to show the 2nd part which held the vcf file

Soldato
No problem. I have never had to import a sent contact on Android either but I am one of those types of people that like to press buttons and mess around with things to see what happens... You know, the annoying type :p

TBH it is one thing that I have found different on Android 4.0 and up. A lot of the menus have an "on/off" section (in this case the disk icon) on one side but pressing the wording gives you other options. It would be nice if that was made clear but hey-ho we live and learn.

Soldato

I use jelly bean keyboard, its free and the reason I use it is because no matter how many times I turned it off the microphone kept popping back up where I always go for a comma. Inlcuding using swiftkey.

With jelly bean keyboard it lets you just switch that off and then its stock, seems silly using a stock keyboard emulator when I'm practically on stock (latest CM10 nightly) but it works for me so I'm happy.

Big test this week.. my work iPhone 5 is coming.. will it temp me back?!

Back
Top Bottom