***The Official Samsung Galaxy S III Thread***

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Well the 3 orientated JB Wanam ROM seems to be working wonders here, allshare cast works fine too, doesn't randomly disconnect like the Polish one did. Excellent :D

Associate
A friend of mine just got an s3 on orange on upgrade and is after selling it, the misses is after one but she's on T-mobile, are they normally locked and if so can I unlock it?

Sorry for the noob question but I don't know anything about phone unlocking rooting etc. I've got an s3 myself but perfectly happy stock :)

I think it usually depends if it was an upgrade directly through the network or not. If your friend got it directly from Orange then I'm pretty sure it will be locked to that network, Whereas if your friend got it from a company selling contracts on behalf of the networks e.g buymobilephones.net then it usually comes unlocked.

I guess the best thing to do is ask your friend if they could try a different microsim on it if possible.

You should be able to get it unlocked if need be. I think there are apps on the play market which let you unlock an s3 (I've never unlocked an S3 so not too clued up on it all, sorry.)

Associate
I need to replace the screen on my S3, but rather than paying to get that done, for a very similar price (maybe even slightly less) I have found this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Samsung-G...3?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_146&hash=item3a7608d989

I hope that isn't breaking any forum rules, from what I understand it shouldn't.

Aside from the legitimacy of the seller, can anyone see a problem with buying this? My main concern is that it's coming from the Netherlands, so am wary of anything not being compatible with the rest of my UK S3, but as it's essentially just the screen and a frame I'm thinking (read:hoping) it should be OK.

Soldato
A simple yes or no would be great :)

Normally they are locked. An easy way to find out seems to be checking if you have the "System Update" menu option within the "About Device" menu of the phone. It seems all networks have removed this option whilst the unlocked phones keep it.

Another way is to do this:

Go to phone dialler
Dial *#7465625#
A screen will pop up.
Look for "Network Lock" and see if it is "on" (locked) or "off" (unlocked)

Soldato
I have to say, latest wanamlite and jb Dom the battery life is out of this world,
Full charge yesterday from 6% and I'm currently on 85% and that's with normal use in work and on wifi at home.

Soldato
How's everyones Battery holding up on wanam? Might just be me but I feel the battery is draining a lot quicker compared to the stock rom

I am going to test how much Google Now + Latitude hammer the battery.

Last night I setup Bettery Battery Stats (BBS) to start recording with GNow switched off. It used 4% battery in 11 hours (deep sleep for about 10.5 hours)

I have now just switched GNow on about 45 mins ago. Lets see how it does. To make it fair, I will reset BBS tonight so that it is doing it over the same time i.e. not receiving SMS/calls which I do during the day.

I shall report back when I see :)

Ok, here's what happened.

Standard Wanam 4.0 with JB Dom Google Now/Latitude OFF:

Total time - 11 hours
Battery Drain - 4%
Deep Sleep - 10h30m
Awake - 30mins

Standard Wanam 4.0 with JB Dom Google Now/Latitude ON:

Total time - 12 hours
Battery Drain - 15%
Deep Sleep - 10 hours
Awake - 2 hours

Battery drain pics:

Screenshot_2012-10-23-08-51-14.png
Screenshot_2012-10-23-08-51-20.png

You can see the repeated wakeups that GNow caused the phone to have as it monitored things.

I don't have pics when GNow was not on but with 4% drain over 11 hours you can imagine that it was in Deep Sleep for 95% of the time.

I performed both tests over the same time - overnight with no calls/texts received. The phone sat on the desk and was not touched for this period. I used Better Battery Stats for the stats.

So, as expected, GNow uses a fair bit of battery even with the phone being idle, roughly 3-3.5 times the amount in comparison to having it off.

People suggest that it starts to settle down after about a week as, for the first few days, it is gathering info on your "usual" routine. I guess we shall see.

Soldato
But Google now is so good :/ I feel I'm probably willing to sacrifice a bit of power but I'd prefer it not to be doing it when I'm asleep, maybe it will learn my sleep pattern too :)

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
I have never used Google Now? I checked it out, thought it was meh and never looked at it again. What's so special about it as I can't see a standout feature!

Caporegime
Has anyone got a link to the stock 4.0.4 ROM so can flash with ODIN, I'm on a TMU firmware and I can't copy and paste in any application without it crashing and it's generally unstable.

Soldato
TBH I don't know either.... I will probably turn it off but want to see what it is like for a while.

Things like the appointments bit would be good for people who do a lot of travelling for work etc as it can tell you how long it will take in current traffic or, if you follow a sports team, it can tell you stuff but apart from that I don't know...

I will probably turn it back off TBH although I shall wait till the Google event as improvements are said to be coming.

Associate
Still no sign of the unbranded OTA.

And there won't be until all networks have theirs out first, which means could be in for a long wait, as both T-Mobile & Orange /EE now still haven't released their JB update, & going off past history of T-Mobile & updates it could be a while yet. :/

Soldato
I have never used Google Now? I checked it out, thought it was meh and never looked at it again. What's so special about it as I can't see a standout feature!

I've been using it for a while but it's just the way it "fits" into your life. I commute a fair distance across the lovely M4 so today for example it warned me it was closed and it saved me from being in a Jam for 2 hours. I love the cinema (tesco vouchers are so nice) and it reminds me what's on etc... the day before. It's easy to set business reminders up which is good because I'm extremely poor at remembering task lists, it's the little things that make it work for me.

Some of it I agree is kinda useless (weather comes to mind) but I use it as a search replacement and am more than happy with it. I prefer it to Siri because it's more pro-active in general and it doesn't have the weird accent. I think it's probably the beginning of a deeper life integration with mobile OSes so in a way I'm more than happy to try it because I like crap like this :)

Back
Top Bottom