***The Official Samsung Galaxy S III Thread***

mrk I know exactly where you're coming from. It's such a shame that the best handset IMHO is plagued by this sudden death problem.

If you're prepared to wait you can get the Note 2 for around £470 from Handtec. I might well be going done that route tonight.

kona surely you should keep one of the N4's considering you had to suffer the awful ordering process that Google had forced upon us all. I Bet you end up keeping one!

I love the size of the S3 but I'm worried that the curse will extend to the LTE version and like mrk I also fancy a change.

Nexus I've been following the sudden death thread very closely for the past month and it only affects the S3 not the Note 2.

Is the delivery of handtecs slow ?

Is this problem not like a time bomb though stoosh? Happening after so many months/usage time?

IIRC the note II came out like 4-5 months after the GS 3, so it could just be possible that the note II users haven't used/had their phones long enough in order for this to happen yet, it has the exact same CPU/GPU, audio chip, camera etc. so I imagine the motherboard will also be the same (which seems to be the root of the problem).

Last edited:
Is this problem not like a time bomb though stoosh? Happening after so many months/usage time?

IIRC the note II came out like 4-5 months after the GS 3, so it could just be possible that the note II users haven't used/had there phones long enough in order for this to happen yet, it has the exact same CPU/GPU, audio chip, camera so I imagine the motherboard will also be the same (which seems to be the root of the problem).

This is what I was thinking. October 1st release date so only 2 months old, still 4/5 month's to see if anything's happening. If it is an actual blanket time bomb affecting all handset.

I don't live anywhere near a Samsung repair centre so have to send mine back. Parcel arrived today containing a jiffy bag and special delivery envelope. Suddenly worried that I should have gone via BuyMobilePhones.net for this, but I suspect they would just point me at Samsung anyway...

But, will bundle it up and send it on it's way tomorrow, should be with Samsung Friday and I'll report back anything I find.

kona surely you should keep one of the N4's considering you had to suffer the awful ordering process that Google had forced upon us all. I Bet you end up keeping one!

I really have no use for another phone :D

I'm tempted to have a play before I move it on though - hehe!

New update soon: http://www.gsmarena.com/galaxy_s_iii_gets_android_412_update_brings_note_ii_experience-news-5166.php

he update brings lots of new features to the Galaxy S III, which were introduced with the Galaxy Note II phablet. Here is the complete changelog:

Android version 4.1.2
Multi-View
Page Buddy
New Gallery App (Same as in Note II)
Notification Panel (Notification Panel can now be customized)
Brightness Slider in Notification Panel Can Now Be Disabled
Smart Rotation (Screen Display adjusts to your angle of sightings)
Paper Artist App
Group Cast App

Oh god now I'm concerned. My two month old S3 running Cyanogen scared the balls out of me this morning on the way to work. It was absolutely freezing as I slipped and slid towards my bus stop and when I finally got onto the bus, I woke the phone up via the sleep button and nothing.

I then held the button down and it powered up, yet when I left home it was charging off the mains so it was on. So far it has been ok all day at work but I am a bit nervous.

Is the delivery of handtecs slow ?

Depends on what delivery you chose at the check out. They have all sorts of options but in my experience if you order before 4pm the package usually arrives the next day

IIRC the note II came out like 4-5 months after the GS 3, so it could just be possible that the note II users haven't used/had their phones long enough in order for this to happen yet, it has the exact same CPU/GPU, audio chip, camera etc. so I imagine the motherboard will also be the same (which seems to be the root of the problem).

Fair point Nexus this could well be true and we'll have to keep an eye on the Note 2 threads both here and XDA, I hope this isn't the case. The motherboard indeed seems to be the root of the problem so it's definitely plausible that the fault could appear in the Note 2.

I have put my S3 through fonebank and will send it off to them just as soon as I get a replacement phone either the S3 LTE or Note 2.

I was going to look at the HTC One X+ but I'm not too impressed with HTC handle their updates.

Well I have an update....I now have a Note II :o

I had a look in P4U and the guy ran a check on the price and it came up as £459.99 with a payg sim thrown in so I picked orange so I could use it in an old phone for Orange Wednesdays, comes with £10 credit too.

Quite surprised at that price as it shows £509 on their website.

Anyway, Good luck to all other S3 owners here who have working S3s! I'm just going to drop mine off to the Collect+ point now.

Will keep this thread subscribed of course :D

Well I have an update....I now have a Note II :o

I had a look in P4U and the guy ran a check on the price and it came up as £459.99 with a payg sim thrown in so I picked orange so I could use it in an old phone for Orange Wednesdays, comes with £10 credit too.

Quite surprised at that price as it shows £509 on their website.

Anyway, Good luck to all other S3 owners here who have working S3s! I'm just going to drop mine off to the Collect+ point now.

Will keep this thread subscribed of course :D

Need a full review. Thanks :p

I was right about the price

Last edited:
@stoosh

Yeah whatever the issue is, Samsung need to find out what is causing it and fix it properly as well as releasing a statement to the public about it.

Likewise, although iirc htc are making an announcement tomorrow, which could be the be about the international version of the DNA, I think that might tempt you! :p :D

Last edited:
@stoosh

Yeah whatever the issue is, Samsung need to find out what is causing it and fix it properly as well as releasing a statement to the public about it.

Likewise, although iirc htc are making an announcement tomorrow, which could be the be about the international version of the DNA, I think that might tempt you! :p :D

I agree with you, this is poor on Samsung's behalf and I'm sure if it happened to other manufacturers the sudden death syndrome would be in the public domain ASAP.

The thread at XDA is getting bigger and now good folk here are falling prey...

Time to bail from the S3 band wagon...I'll use the money from fonebank and put it towards something else.

I'm not too sure about the DNA, not because of the phone itself, the specs are amazing, it's HTC their policy of updating software is rather hit and miss, I can't deal with that.

Congratulations mrk! I'm really happy for you! :)

I'm going to get my Sister to drive me down to the nearest Phones4u and see if they have the Note II at that special price that you just bought it for!

Yeah it is rather weird that, news sites where all over the problems with the one x and s I.e. The Chipping problems, screen flex etc. And same for the Iphone 5 etc. and this was all within a few weeks after the release. This sudden death problem is a more serious problem than aesthetic issues and has been happening for quite a while now, yet there is still no word about it on the news sites (afaik).....

Tbh I don't blame you, it is ****ing me of as well now and is largely why I am considering the move to the nexus 4 now.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom