***The Official Samsung Galaxy S III Thread***

Does anyone know much about the charging power on the S3?

I was under the impression the S3 will draw 1A from the mains supply. I'm sat in Starbucks waiting for my coach and apparently it's only drawing 200ma. Could this just be a **** mains supply? :p Using more battery than I'm gaining.

Using a mains charger, although a HTC plug which is just a plug in usb cable in a plug. Even so, 0.7 is a lot more than 0.2! I'll have to try another plug when I get home I guess.

Starman - I only noticed as I changed my PC motherboard last week and I was trying to see if there was a difference in the power output between USB2 and USB3 sockets which would improve the charging time.

By the way, I'm using Siyah Kernel and I've changed the power draw. Currently set to take 1.2A from mains and 0.9A from usb. Just have to make sure whatever usb port I use is suitable otherwise there's a risk of damaging it if it's a low end motherboard (apparently).

A quick question regarding signal issues.

My mate and I are both on 02 and both have S3's, however if I am at uni at times my signal completely drops and most of the time changes to 'E' or 'G' whilst my mate who is right next to me has H+.

I had 02 send out a sim replacement but that hasn't seemed to fix the issue. Is there anyway I could test whether the phone is playing up?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

I did disable 3G once due to the above issue and switched to 2G so that I could still send texts and make/receive calls but I put it back into 3G mode right after.

I'm on Hyperlight rom again, weighs in at 250mb. Unlike other roms that state they've had the bloat removed, Hyperlight goes further and removes litteraly everything that isn't needed, including the lib files.

Worth a look if you're like me and constantly freezing/deleting apks from wanam etc :)

Stuck this on last night, probably not the best thing to do at midnight as I then HAD to go through and get it all set up back to how I like it which included downloading a few bits and bobs to add back in as it really is stripped of all non essentials.
So far so good though.

Briefly tried 4.2, it seems quite well sorted but there's no bluetooth from what I can tell which is a deal breaker as I use a carkit for work. There was some tearing on scrolling too but other than that, the whole 2 finger gesture for quick settings, lock screen widgets etc were all there and working fine.

Briefly tried 4.2, it seems quite well sorted but there's no bluetooth from what I can tell which is a deal breaker as I use a carkit for work. There was some tearing on scrolling too but other than that, the whole 2 finger gesture for quick settings, lock screen widgets etc were all there and working fine.

Is the BT broken or missing?

Interested in anyone who has used the Nexus 4 as well as either S3 or Note 2 and their views?

I am still pending for my Nexus 4 order and tempted to cancel and go for either an S3 or Note 2.

I have looked at 2 year costs.

The nexus 4 is £289 plus I was going for GiffGaff £10 per month (250 mins/1Gb)
Total £529.

With Tmobile, via mobile phones direct

S3 is either £29 plus £21 per month (100 mins / 750mb) total £533
or £23 per month plus £72 (300mins/750mb) total £624

or vodafone, 21 per month plus £149 (600 mins/500mb) .

Note 2

T mobile, £21 per month plus £89 (100mins/750mb) total £593
also do either 300 mins/750mb or 100 mins/1500mb for 24x26 plus 89 =£673

So for my needs, Nexus 4= £529, S3=£533 or Note 2 = £593

Money not too much in it.

My use in priorities:

1) internet browsing
2) email
3) personal organising / diary / astrid etc
4) sky news / bbc news / iplayer /maybe skygo in future
5) music
6) camera

Won't do much in way of games.

Also, wont play around with settings too much.

Views?

I have a Note, my eldest son has an S3 and I have a Nexus 4 on order so I sorta know what you need, from what you've written you should get the Note 2 considering asset value at the end of your term, I think that's the advice you wanted eh.

Go into a shop and try them. While i have all these devices this should always be your first step. Also assume you can move the UI from one device to another (because you can with very little difficulty) so don't be too put off by that. While it's not pure, on Android i actually prefer hardware buttons so I enjoy the Samsung experience a little more than the Nexus but overall it's pretty close. People give the design of the S3 a lot of bad press for not being made of metal etc... I much prefer lightness so I couldn't give a monkeys - you might be different etc... this is why playing the "why yes i am very interested in your deals mr employee of telco X" is a good start :)

Thanks for the replies, I've tried in shop and looked at specs but its hard to think about real use (my priorities above)

The loss in ram - guessing I won't notice in my usage?

Regarding RAM - I have both an LTE and a non LTE S3 and I don't notice the difference but I guess if you're an extreme power user you might. Android is pretty clever at memory management to be honest. Only real thing I notice is the non-LTE is quicker to move Pinball Arcade out of memory (but we are talking 2 hours vs 4) which is one of the more challenging games I play (it emulates pinballs down to the IC level as well as emulating the physics / table etc...a fairly large workload)

Back
Top Bottom