***The Official Samsung Galaxy S III Thread***

I’ve had the Note II for several days now and thought it be worth posting some feedback on how it is over the S3 for those who may be considering upgrading to the new wave of 5”+ screen phones coming out in 2013.

In a few aspects I think it’s a fair comparison because the S3 is thin and light as is the Note 2, only differing in height and width, not so much in weight or noticeable thickness for that matter either. I’ve also owned the Nexus 7 (for what it’s worth).

Physical look & feel
On first look the N2 looks like a bit of a beast, the screen dominates the S3 but the N2 feels usable in the hand even if it doesn’t look it. Built quality is a bit better than the S3, I think this is largely down to having more glass and being closer to the frame of the phone itself, just feels more solid.

I’ve not found the size difference to be a problem in jeans or top jacket pocket, seems to be fairly normal between the two.

Usability differences]
There is quite a difference in performance I’ve found. The S3 has 1GB less RAM and I think this shows in general usage especially when multi-tasking. The S3 is fast and smooth on the whole but there was the occasional jitter here and there and even more so when enabling the power saving mode to limit CPU speed only. On the N2 there is no jitter, no issue using power saving mode either.

One handed use, the S3 feels more comfortable due to being curvier and thinner in width, this makes the screen easier to use one handed although over the last few days I’ve gotten used to the extra width of the N2 and can now use it one handed close to how I did with the S3 so this I no longer a worry for me.

Browsing websites is nicer on the N2, I still find zooming in on some sites is needed but on the while things look nicer and sharper on the bigger screen.

Features/Other
S-Pen is the obvious one, it’s made certain things better, taking screenshots, annotating and sending the image on its way to whoever is really useful. That and drawing moustaches on people having just taken their picture with the camera. There aren’t as many S-Pen enabled apps as I was hoping for but I am also hoping this will be better over the next few months!

The camera initialises faster than on the S3, again, this is most likely down to having more free memory and the faster CPU clock in combination.

Battery life is a lot better. One review said that it was similar to the S3 given the screen size difference but I’m going home from work with 60%+ left whereas the S3 was ending up with ~40% with the same usage.

3G reception is more reliable on the N2 as well, at -91dBm I was finding that the S3 struggled to load pages but the N2 loads them normally even at -101dBm. Actual speed seems the same when in good reception areas though which is fine by me.

The speaker on the N2 is far nicer to listen to, makes youtube/movie trailers and TV shows etc a much nicer experience, coupled with the big screen, it’s really quite pleasant. Some will probably have seen my youtube]video of the speaker quality difference.

yeah I soldiered on with my S3 and headphones on the the nightlies until they got the BT working.. not keen to go backwards for a tarted up notifications pane. The difference between CM10 and CM10.1 isn't night and day like it is with touchwiz and CM10, that was worth struggling with headphones for.

Im back on stock Samsung now, i rather like it. Its nice having all the features back, especially exfat.

Also where are we at for inductive charging. Would love a car mount that has it built in and a stand for my desk.

Last edited:
Im back on stock Samsung now, i rather like it. Its nice having all the features back, especially exfat.

Also where are we at for inductive charging. Would love a car mount that has it built in and a stand for my desk.

The reason why there are two sections for Roms at xda forum.... I stick to the ones based on the Samsung official rom for better compatiblity.....

I haven't budged but will look into updating my viking rom in the new year. Not had any issues with it to want to update.

Question for you guys that are more experienced than me....

Can I somehow wipe my S3 back to how it was when new? I mean more than just FactoryReset/WipeDate/WipeCache etc?

The reason I want to do this is that I feel like the phone has got more and more laggy with each ROM I install. (I've probably installed a dozen different versions of WanamLite and CM10)

I've tried doing a "Factory Reset" but afterwards there are definitely still folders and files in the internal storage that have come from Apps that I've installed at some point but no longer use.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Question for you guys that are more experienced than me....

Can I somehow wipe my S3 back to how it was when new? I mean more than just FactoryReset/WipeDate/WipeCache etc?

The reason I want to do this is that I feel like the phone has got more and more laggy with each ROM I install. (I've probably installed a dozen different versions of WanamLite and CM10)

I've tried doing a "Factory Reset" but afterwards there are definitely still folders and files in the internal storage that have come from Apps that I've installed at some point but no longer use.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Factory reset only wipes OS and APPS etc.

Go Settings - Storage - Format SD Card. That will delete the rest.

Looks really nice in the video I found, but without an AOSP lockscreen to match it, I think I'll stick with what I've got

Was getting all excited until I saw the lockscreen :(

do you mean the bit where the sammy rom doesn't have the unlock icon in one fixed place with options to go to google now and the camera by unlocking in different directions?

That was actually the killer for me too, seems stupid but its one part of the phone I interact with a lot and I really didn't like the samsung implementation.

Using Wanamlite 5.1 ROM, and JB Domination 1.4.1 and i get this on my dialer screen.

2012-12-15101935_zps6d447384.png

Back
Top Bottom