**** The Official Samsung Galaxy S10 Family Thread ****

Associate
I told myself the S10 would be the phone to upgrade to. Still got an S7 Edge. But it just doesn't excite me enough sadly. Nothing new? Semi tempted to wait for Pixel 4 now.

Soldato
Was tempted with the 512 ceramic black but then I thought. I don't need the extra space as I've already got a large SD card. The black *might* look better but in the end I'll probably have a thin case on it long term so I won't notice the ceramic back.

Soldato
I'd happily choose to get a s10+. But at the price absolutely not. Why ... the choice of other phones half the cost offering near the same
The 3 tier system is good however I still see people comment on "oh you got the R or E or base version couldn't you AFFORD the good one ? " Sad times and only those who it bothers will get what I mean.
Myself after a having 5 Samsung devices since 2012 have seen what other manufacturers offer and at prices that are actually affordable to many (this cycle may be bad as the cheaper cost means some are tempted to change more often) Everyone is quite different but from what I've seen most of who I mingle with still have phones from 2 to 3 years ago and simply don't need to upgrade (either cost or getting decent battery still)

Associate
I currently use a Samsung S7Edge and I was very happy with it until the screen decided to die on me (well its still going but don't think it will last much longer!).

So last night I pre-ordered an S10 but I'm not sure if I should stick with the pre-order and wait two weeks or save £300 ish and go for a One Plus 6T instead and save some cash.

I would miss the wireless charging (just so convenient) and the headphone jack if I moved to the OP6T which the S10 has covered. There are advantages of course of the OP6T, better software experience, quicker and numerous android updates and faster charging etc.

I just cannot make a decision, what would you guys do???

Last edited:
Soldato
I currently use a Samsung S7Edge and was very happy with until the screen decided to die on me (well its still going but don't think it will last much longer!).

So last night I pre-ordered an S10 but I'm not sure if I should stick with the pre-order and wait two weeks or save £300 ish and go for a One Plus 6T instead and save some cash.

I would miss the wireless charging (just so convenient) and the headphone jack if I moved to the OP6T which the S10 has covered. There are advantages of course of the OP6T, better software experience, quicker and numerous android updates and faster charging etc.

I just cannot make a decision, what would you guys do???

Wait for the OP7.

Associate
Ended up going down the upgrade route with Samsung, S10+ with the free buds for £650 with trade in I don't think is bad for a flagship. Makes things easier as well coming from a S8 with transferring info etc.

Can always sell on later if something new & incredible comes out from Pixel etc.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Camera Night mode at least.

S10 has it, Samsung even stated it to have it months ago when the whole Pixel 3 night mode was all the rage. Just nobody as of yet has put any thought into talking about it on hands on videos because... well they've all been in daylight :p

Soldato
Maybe for the best part of another £1000 thrown at Samsung, something a bit more than another rehash of last years/year before that/year before that's device......

There is nothing new on the S10 apart from maybe the ultrawide camera, that's going to change your day to day mobile usage from an S8, S9 or Note 8/9.

- More storage, why when we have micros SD slots...
- Ultrawide camera, OK, fair enough, nice add on
- More RAM, why? It's a phone, it doesn't need it...Nobody will ever notice the difference
- Screen, OK, if that extra minimal % increase is worth a grand....fine :D

Got my old S6 Edge Plus out the other day and it felt just as fast as my Note 8 and the camera was pretty much on par.

I'm all for innovation but there is very little here IMO. Everyone on here loves technology, it's why we're on this forum, but there comes a point where the cost vs gain is pathetic and we're pretty much at that stage now.
You didn’t answer my question - what do you want in a mobile phone that isn’t already there?

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
The screen is actually much better than any previous screen and any screen currently out by any other maker.

If I've read everything right, and I think I have, the new S10 screens remove the blue light that's harmful to your eyes without changing the colour tone of the display palette. So no more need for blue light filter or night mode which creates a yellow tint to the screen on all other devices. It also records in HDR10+ so all videos will have much wider dynamic range when played back on the phone screen, or a display that supports HDR10, which the majority of HDTVs now do, as does YouTube etc.

RAM is a non issue for me, I don't play mobile games, but I know lots do, and AR gaming will have a greater benefit with faster load times, fewer background apps needing to be closed by the OS etc etc.

Soldato
S10 has it, Samsung even stated it to have it months ago when the whole Pixel 3 night mode was all the rage. Just nobody as of yet has put any thought into talking about it on hands on videos because... well they've all been in daylight :p

An hour+ long presentation and no mention of it. Sounds promising :p

BTW...Pixel 3 Night Sight is still all the rage :D

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
An hour+ long presentation and no mention of it. Sounds promising :p

BTW...Pixel 3 Night Sight is still all the rage :D

They didn't mention a lot of things at the presentation which is typical for most OEMs and we only find out about them from the more technical reviewers. IMO the camera section should have taken up a sizeable portion of the presentation, but they mostly focused on HDR10+ and the new display and stuff like that.

We'll see what the camera is like in coming days from the usual reviewers who will put it through its paces. I have no doubt it will be excellent and if night mode uses similar NPU/AI numbers to Pixel 3, then it's going to give a Pixel a good shove because Pixel phones are absolutely terrible at any other camera ares (video and audio recording whereas Samsung flagships are always excellent).

Back
Top Bottom