**** The Official Samsung Galaxy S10 Family Thread ****

Associate
If your S10e is the SM-G9700 model, it's still worth a try as it also has the Snapdragon 855 (Exynos doesn't have this problem as far as I know). I understand the safety concern, I haven't had much luck with this on several other forums either :p

Anyway, I've submitted a ticket to Samsung HK support, hopefully they'll look into it for a future firmware update. This is a legitimate issue that you may run into with the HK model, so potential importers beware, unless you have no qualms with choppy 4K playback in certain formats.

Ah no, mine is the Exynos version as it's a UK network provider model!

Associate
Ah no, mine is the Exynos version as it's a UK network provider model!

Well lucky you, apparently the Exynos and US Snapdragon models don't have this problem. I was one of those lured in by reports of the SD variant being superior in terms of performance, so I certainly didn't expect it to struggle with something as simple as 4K video :confused:

Truth is, the SD variant only really sets itself apart when it comes to gaming and its very slightly better battery life (which is starting to become a moot point as Exynos updates are improving on this aspect). I honestly don't think it was worth the hassle to import and lose out on the warranty.

Soldato
YouTube has 4K content, the Vanced app in particular has the option to display at that resolution. I know the screen is only 1440p but most HDR content out there tends to be in 4K, and it's sharper so... :p
Moderators on the Samsung forums are busy removing my posts regarding this
mad.gif
. If anyone kindly could, please test this clip for example. It's 4K HDR encoded in H.265 / HEVC, I don't know if that makes a difference:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/m83ftn7n8d8le2s/Plane_Crash_Scene.mp4/file

Just played this clip on my HK S10+, didn't any notice drop frames in both VLC or Samsung default Video player.

Associate
Just played this clip on my HK S10+, didn't any notice drop frames in both VLC or Samsung default Video player.

That's so strange, thanks for trying though. Did you test VLC with the screen recorder to see if there was a difference in smoothness? That's where it was most apparent to me.

I have another comprehensive test which I posted elsewhere, thought I might as well leave it here too. It doesn't involve downloading any dodgy files but does require the YouTube Vanced app for 4K playback.

If anyone isn't concerned with how 4K video performs on this phone, then by all means please ignore what I'm about to post next.

Associate
One last try before I sign off :p Here's another example if anyone has YouTube Vanced (google vanced.app for those unaware). I'm suggesting Vanced because the original YouTube app doesn't let you view at 4K resolution.
  • Firstly, open Vanced and tap the account icon in the upper right. Go to settings, Vanced settings, Video settings and then toggle Resolution Checks to ON. Refresh and restart the app.
  • Now open Game Launcher, tap the three dots in the upper right > Add apps and add YouTube Vanced to the list. We're doing this for the screen recording function which I'll mention later.
Once that's done, here's a 4K 60fps clip for you to try. It should be easier to perceive any hiccups with the higher frame rate. And of course, please set the resolution to 2160p (tap the three dots in the upper right) and watch in landscape orientation, since this is what the test is all about:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXb3EKWsInQ

Panning shots work best. For reference, see the one of the step trail at 2:42 in the video. Does it look like it's stuttering or dropping frames intermittently?
  • Now, swipe up from the bottom of the screen to show the navigation bar (you need the navigation bar enabled to use the recording function) and tap on Game Tools, which is the leftmost button. Tap Record.
While the screen is recording, are the stutters now gone? To my eyes, the video is definitely smoother while the recorder is active. Appreciate any feedback from those willing to try (and confirm if I'm insane or not!) - cheers!

Soldato
You mean between the Snapdragon and Exynos models? There is.

Nope.. no there isn't.

EDIT: Just to outline what I'm saying, there may well be performance differences. I'm saying there isn't some fundamental issue that means the Exynos isn't also a fantastic phone, Samsung sell thousands upon thousands of them every week, it's just not credible to suggest that they for example have some bug that kills the battery or whatever.

It would be all over the actual news let alone the tech news and it just isn't.

Therefore... no issue.

Difference yes if you like, not that it's enough to stop it being a top seller, issue.. nope.

Last edited:
Soldato
It would be all over the actual news let alone the tech news and it just isn't.

How many of the reviewers test the Snapdragon version?

I've had plenty of Samsung devices and all I'm saying is that the exynos models I've had all have had poor battery and performance in comparison to the Snapdragon equivalent. I'm not the only one, I've seen many people experience the same, including a few on these forums.

https://www.phonearena.com/news/Galaxy-S10-Exynos-vs-S10-Snapdragon-Which-is-better_id114719

We get mugged off in Europe compared to Asia when it comes to Samsung devices, hopefully their new Exynos chips will resolve and bring the gap closer.

Soldato
I know it's an older product, but Anantech were quite scathing of the Exynos on the Note 9, saying "Like on the Galaxy S9, the Note9’s Exynos variant is just an overall inferior device."

I think a lot of people (me included) would just rather Samsung put a Snapdragon in every one of their flagships until the Exynos becomes demonstrably better.

Soldato
How many of the reviewers test the Snapdragon version?

I've had plenty of Samsung devices and all I'm saying is that the exynos models I've had all have had poor battery and performance in comparison to the Snapdragon equivalent. I'm not the only one, I've seen many people experience the same, including a few on these forums.

https://www.phonearena.com/news/Galaxy-S10-Exynos-vs-S10-Snapdragon-Which-is-better_id114719

We get mugged off in Europe compared to Asia when it comes to Samsung devices, hopefully their new Exynos chips will resolve and bring the gap closer.

From your own link!!

Instead, with three wins out of six tests, it proves only that the Galaxy S10 is a very fine device out of the box in either of its U.S. or international variants, with no glaring advantages in either to be seen.

Like I said.. differences sure... issues? No.

99 out of 100 people have better things to worry about.

Plus, it's not mugging at all, if it weren't for different modem setups etc there wouldn't be a snapdragon in any of them, why would samsung buy a CPU when they make them? It's necessity not design or a wish to mug anyone off.

Associate
Nope.. no there isn't.
Difference yes if you like, not that it's enough to stop it being a top seller, issue.. nope.

Yes, yes there is, or at least, was.

Comparing the SD and Exynos S10E phones the Exynos was demonstrably worse, on factors such as:
- Battery Life
- Intensive task, e.g. gaming performance
- Camera performance

From my knowledge no-one stated the Exynos was an awful phone and the SD variant was the second coming of christ, but people were discussing how they were experiencing issues perhaps specific only to the Exynos variant, and SD users weighed in saying they didn't experience it. Again, I don't think anyone stated that this s a fundamental flaw with the Exynos variant, but is something that a few people (especially people on this forum and in this thread) have experienced.

I don't really see what you aim to do by rocking up and telling people that their issues are bizarre, and then conclusively state there is no difference between the variants when many reviews state otherwise.

Soldato
Yes, yes there is, or at least, was.

Comparing the SD and Exynos S10E phones the Exynos was demonstrably worse, on factors such as:
- Battery Life
- Intensive task, e.g. gaming performance
- Camera performance

From my knowledge no-one stated the Exynos was an awful phone and the SD variant was the second coming of christ, but people were discussing how they were experiencing issues perhaps specific only to the Exynos variant, and SD users weighed in saying they didn't experience it. Again, I don't think anyone stated that this s a fundamental flaw with the Exynos variant, but is something that a few people (especially people on this forum and in this thread) have experienced.

I don't really see what you aim to do by rocking up and telling people that their issues are bizarre, and then conclusively state there is no difference between the variants when many reviews state otherwise.

Exactly this ^^

Soldato

Well other than the bit on the last page where someone was talking about ditching the exynos for snapdragon implying the exynos was just fundamentally flawed there's this below in reply to my comment of it being bizarre to think there's a "fundamental isue"

I've never disputed there'd be differences, they're different things. The dog I have in this fight is the wish to dampen some hyperbole. Some people might be choosing what to buy off the back of this thread and to suggest that a set of the top selling phones that many people think are awesome have some fundamental issue because of it's CPU is way OTT.

Soldato
I've never disputed there'd be differences, they're different things. The dog I have in this fight is the wish to dampen some hyperbole. Some people might be choosing what to buy off the back of this thread and to suggest that a set of the top selling phones that many people think are awesome have some fundamental issue because of it's CPU is way OTT.

Yeah and as someone who has tried both variants am I not allowed to give my opinion and experience on them to help allow others to decide for themselves?

There is nothing fundamentally wrong with the Exynos version, but there is a noticeable difference between the two.

Soldato
Yeah and as someone who has tried both variants am I not allowed to give my opinion and experience on them to help allow others to decide for themselves?

There is nothing fundamentally wrong with the Exynos version, but there is a noticeable difference between the two.

You need to look back at your own posts then.. I said it's bizarre that anyone thinks there's a fundamental issue and you said...

Literally my only point.

Associate
Well other than the bit on the last page where someone was talking about ditching the exynos for snapdragon implying the exynos was just fundamentally flawed there's this below in reply to my comment of it being bizarre to think there's a "fundamental isue"

When it first released the Exynos was fundamentally flawed in comparison to the SD, having flaws that were only found in the Exynos version. I agree on some points, as the issues he is experiencing are not found in my Exynos device, but i know of no instances of the S10 range having battery issues for the SD variants, which is what he hopes to escape.

Out of interest, do you own either of the phones?

Soldato
When it first released the Exynos was fundamentally flawed in comparison to the SD, having flaws that were only found in the Exynos version. I agree on some points, as the issues he is experiencing are not found in my Exynos device, but i know of no instances of the S10 range having battery issues for the SD variants, which is what he hopes to escape.

Out of interest, do you own either of the phones?

Yep, UK exynos S10+

Seriously my point was simply that there isn't an inherent issue with the exynos phone. They sell so many of them it would absolutely be well known, like the note 7 issues for example.. or fold, or even antennagate etc etc

Associate
The Snapdragon variant isn't perfect as I'm slowly coming to realize. I lied about my previous post being my last, so here's another wall of text. Enjoy!

Snapdragon S10/+/e owners please read: System-wide problem with lag and stuttering.

The gist of the problem is basically this: System-wide intermittent stutter which only goes away when you activate a screen recorder app, whether it be Game Tools, Nice Shot, AZ Screen Recorder, etc. Yes, you read that correctly - recording the screen improves overall phone performance!

Below is a list of posts that highlight this problem that I and a few others (and possibly many more who aren't aware) are experiencing. The common denominator here is the use of a screen recorder, which notably improves the overall performance / feel of the phone. This is the only known solution as far as I'm aware, which is completely unideal.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/s10-plus/help/lag-stutter-overall-choppy-t3914381

https://www.reddit.com/r/galaxys10/comments/btwfbl/anyone_experiencing_stuttering_or_frame_drops_on/

https://www.reddit.com/r/galaxys10/comments/b79cw3/is_snapdragon_really_that_much_worse_than_exynos/

https://www.reddit.com/r/galaxys10/comments/b4nftn/snapdragon_s10_laggy_on_4k_youtube_playback/

The following two are from myself. I initially thought the issue was isolated to video playback but it actually appears to be system-wide.

https://www.reddit.com/r/galaxys10/comments/ch172q/snapdragon_owners_does_this_type_of_video_play/

https://forum.xda-developers.com/s10-plus/help/sm-g9750-video-playback-throttled-t3950757

The lag returns as soon as you deactivate screen recording, which suggests that this is either a bug with the CPU or GPU not being optimized or boosting its frequencies properly, or that they are intentionally being throttled for whatever reason, leading to these stutters.

Bear in mind that these are all Snapdragon owners, I don't recall ever having this issue as a last generation S9 Exynos owner. If you are an S10/+/e Exynos owner, I would still suggest using your phone normally, but with a screen recorder active and then without, to see if there is any performance gain (as crazy as it sounds, it might actually make a difference).

Please don't brush this off as a non-issue even if your phone appears to be fine or snappy enough to you - the point is that your experience could be so much smoother / better than it currently is.

And yes, it may seem like I'm spamming this everywhere but this phone cost close to a grand and has flagship-level specs - there is absolutely no reason to accept its performance being limited in any way. As great as the phone is in every other aspect, on principle I will be moving on if this issue remains as it is.

Soldato
Please don't brush this off as a non-issue even if your phone appears to be fine or snappy enough to you - the point is that your experience could be so much smoother / better than it currently is.

The only thing that could make my experience better is a 90hz screen.

I've not had any of those issues reported and going by the general consensus in the last few pages, if it was a widespread issue there'd be some follow up action by Samsung right?

Soldato
Yep, UK exynos S10+

Seriously my point was simply that there isn't an inherent issue with the exynos phone. They sell so many of them it would absolutely be well known, like the note 7 issues for example.. or fold, or even antennagate etc etc

Yea I'm with Matt100 on this, I've had mine since release and if it wasn't for this thread I wouldn't have known it had issues.

If it's flawed I've yet to notice.

Back
Top Bottom