**** The Official Samsung Galaxy S20 Family Thread ****

Soldato
I want the S20 Ultra camera features but I am worried the weight and size would be too much for my TINY MAN HANDS.*

*Actually according to the internet they are bang on being average size at 7.44 inches

Makes you feel any better, I have large hands (well XL according to most glove manufacturers) and haven't really enjoyed the large phones last year (P30 Pro, Xperia 1) before settling on S10e. It's also just the general usability, like them digging into my hip when they are in my pocket whilst I'm driving etc.

Also now that we're starting to see almost Apple like prices can we expect their level of software support or we are still on 2 years of major updates?

Associate
All those getting the new phone because of 5g need bare in mind you need to by the ultra to gain full speed of 5g otherwise you will only see a marginal difference.(apparently). i cannot remember what that chip is.
I love the look of the ultra bar the back end that camera module is huge and sticks out a lot. but having said that mine will be living inside a case. so i wont even notice that part as i see most cases are lvl with that camera bump.
Now the wait though lol.
Hope i chose well and hope its an upgrade from my note 9 lol/

Soldato
Been trying to use the upgrade program part of the website but struggling to get through to actually choose the phone. Put my agreement details in and says I can upgrade but when I press choose galaxy the rest of the page disappears and no options to do anything.

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

All those getting the new phone because of 5g need bare in mind you need to by the ultra to gain full speed of 5g otherwise you will only see a marginal difference.(apparently). i cannot remember what that chip is.
I love the look of the ultra bar the back end that camera module is huge and sticks out a lot. but having said that mine will be living inside a case. so i wont even notice that part as i see most cases are lvl with that camera bump.
Now the wait though lol.
Hope i chose well and hope its an upgrade from my note 9 lol/

I heard that both the S20+ and the S20 Ultra support 5G on mm wave, whereas the regular S20 only supports sub 6ghz 5G (which is only a little bit faster than current 4G)

Soldato
Been trying to use the upgrade program part of the website but struggling to get through to actually choose the phone. Put my agreement details in and says I can upgrade but when I press choose galaxy the rest of the page disappears and no options to do anything.

When I tried to buy a Note 10+ on the upgrade program I got exactly the same issue and it happened on whichever browser I tried. I was told to contact their support desk (email only) and they would respond within 48 hours. The phone was on limited time sale, so I bought it outright and the service desk responded about 2 weeks later to say "we see you've already bought the phone..." so I never did get an answer as to what had gone wrong. Also be aware that they can't retrospectively put you on the upgrade program.

Associate
Starting price £799 and £1199 for the Ultra, you're a mug if you buy one of these.

The Ultra camera is interesting only because of the zoom feature, but that's about it, not to mention you're paying for the subpar Exynos chipset.

Also the 100x on the back of the camera module looks tacky.

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

Starting price £799 and £1199 for the Ultra, you're a mug if you buy one of these.

The Ultra camera is interesting only because of the zoom feature, but that's about it, not to mention you're paying for the subpar Exynos chipset.

Also the 100x on the back of the camera module looks tacky.

The ultra is actually 1399 isnt it?

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

For the 16gb /512Gb model. If you can slum it with 12gb/128gb you can have it for a snip at £1199 with software support kinda guaranteed for 24 months.

Ahhh okay I see, yeah that should more than fine for most people. Sd cards are so cheap to buy these days that it almost doesnt make sense to go for the one with the highest storage

Soldato
Where does this 2 year software support keep coming from? My S8 is 3 years old and still gets updates
Software updates AFAIK, as in Android versions. I'm guessing your S8 is on Android 9 and will not be getting 10?
Security updates along with small bug fixes by Samsung I think are good for somewhere in the range of 5(?) years.

Soldato
In two minds with this. On one hand its just £35.38 month after trade in + my sim deal of £14 - but on the other I am wondering if the OnePlus 8 pro will be better. Just saw that the screen doesn't actually do 120hz at full resolution for some reason. The only reason to jump on a pre-order is the free galaxy buds pro - I already have some galaxy buds from last year so don't really need them. I'm going to wait for a few reviews at least before taking the plunge.

Soldato
Ahhh okay I see, yeah that should more than fine for most people. Sd cards are so cheap to buy these days that it almost doesnt make sense to go for the one with the highest storage

It's a while since I checked out SD card speed ratings, but I reckon most of them will choke when you try saving large video files to them e.g. one recorded in 8k. I doubt you'll get any SD card that's anything like as fast as the internal storage on the S20.

Soldato
It's a while since I checked out SD card speed ratings, but I reckon most of them will choke when you try saving large video files to them e.g. one recorded in 8k. I doubt you'll get any SD card that's anything like as fast as the internal storage on the S20.
True, but you can always transfer the vid to the sd card later when speed doesnt matter.

Associate
In two minds with this. On one hand its just £35.38 month after trade in + my sim deal of £14 - but on the other I am wondering if the OnePlus 8 pro will be better. Just saw that the screen doesn't actually do 120hz at full resolution for some reason. The only reason to jump on a pre-order is the free galaxy buds pro - I already have some galaxy buds from last year so don't really need them. I'm going to wait for a few reviews at least before taking the plunge.

There is a lot of reviews out already and hands on. the new buds have better battery are louder, i even think they might be Bluetooth.
i think and support vrs 5 also where the older ones are 4.xx i think. again they are a slight upgrade granted but they are marketed as earbuds + not earbuds 2. from a couple of reviews they are saying the upgrade is worth it. oh and they now have 3 mics for better call quality and ambient sound.
As As for the screen at 120hz at full res i think and suspect this si a software limitation and i reckon they will put a firmware update to let us choose.

Associate

That rite there.
And another thing imagine hoiw long it woudl take to transfer large files off the system storage to a sd card lol. and not to mention if and i say if your going to record to 8k or even 4k your limiting yourself by getting the 128gb vers, and to be fair its not even that much more considering the extra amount of storage you get and the ram.

Back
Top Bottom