**** The Official Samsung Galaxy S20 Family Thread ****

Soldato
Oh wow, so 5G is essentially free for Vodafone users? Thats great tbh. Im already part of vodafone, so once I get a 5G phone I assume Id automatically start connecting to 5G networks when they are available?

That's what I'm hoping to find out. I'm on one of their "Red" plans so in theory I should have it automatically too.

Associate
Just ordered the top model. Comes with some sort of screen protector and case but I expect I'll get my own. Will get it 10th of March.

Doesnt it come with a screen protector applied like the s10 plus 5g is that what you mean or an extra one. and does it come with a case in the box ?.
I get mine on the 10th but i am getting mine through EE.

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

It's a while since I checked out SD card speed ratings, but I reckon most of them will choke when you try saving large video files to them e.g. one recorded in 8k. I doubt you'll get any SD card that's anything like as fast as the internal storage on the S20.

Oh right yeah thats true, never thought of that actually!

128GB is £1199, 512GB version is £1399, for those with money to burn. :D.

Especially with all this cloud storage these days, the days where you need this much space on your actual device is a pretty distant memory these days

Yes correct, it was mentioned in a YouTube video that I watched last night after the Samsung event.

I thought as much, though Im pretty sure I saw a video or 2 where they said that only the S20 Ultra gets mmwave and the other 2 models are on sub6. Definitely need to double check that.

That's what I'm hoping to find out. I'm on one of their "Red" plans so in theory I should have it automatically too.

I hope so! I do feel like that the majority of 2020 will only really see sub 6 5G, so the speeds arent going to be anything spectacular.

Soldato
I think people need to be honest with themselves and accept that by the time 5G speeds become important, they'll have long since moved on from the S20 series phones :)

Doesnt it come with a screen protector applied like the s10 plus 5g is that what you mean or an extra one. and does it come with a case in the box ?.
I get mine on the 10th but i am getting mine through EE.

I'm not sure but the chap at Three made the point of telling me I would get this plus the case and also the headphones. I'll probably sell those though.

Soldato
I am pretty sure its not actually free its in the contract ie the 5g contracts will be more if it is like other companies.

The contracts are exactly the same as they were prior (mines certainly is apart from now unlimited data rather than 42GB) price wise even with 5G now included.

EE’s 5G contracts just don’t appear to be great value compared to the competition in all honesty.

Soldato
The contracts are exactly the same as they were prior (mines certainly is apart from now unlimited data rather than 42GB) price wise even with 5G now included.

EE’s 5G contracts just don’t appear to be great value compared to the competition in all honesty.

EE's contracts are ok for new customers if going through a 3rd party. but upgrades are horrendously priced and going through them directly is the same. 3rd party all the way.

Soldato
Well i requested my PAC code from EE earlier on the back of my earlier comments about the pricing being well out of whack.
They called me an hour later to ask why and I basically said i like EE but you're prices are completely uncompetitive... they tried to offer me 42 quid a month for the unlimited sim (2 quid off for ten years eh?)

I've done the research for you as i'm looking myself......

Now there are a few things to be careful of.

Firstly, Vodafone,
READ THE SMALL PRINT.
They are offering a frankly ridiculous set of contracts in which is 5G limited to 2mbps or 10bps max bandwidth (that's not a typo....) so avoid these, you only save £4 and £2 a month anyway...
However, All Unlimited Data cap plans include 5G.
The true unlimited one (in speed and price) is £30 a month with no frills
Or £36 with your choice of Sky Sports, Spotify, Now TV or Prime all on mobile..

EE, no real pitfalls other than cost...
The unlimited 5g sim is £44 a month with included BT Sport 4k HDR and Amazon Prime Video (I already have both of these though so not too fussed by the addons)

O2 coming in at £33 a month with the usual o2 Prioiry and O2 wifi access, a free 6 months of apple music but not much else

Three is very good value, I'm quite tempted, their Unlimited price is currently only £12 a month for the first 6 months and then £22 after. 5G is included in all Three plans. This is a 12 Month contract, There's a 24 month one at £20 with no initial discount if you prefer....

BT is an interesting option as if you have home broadband and "BT Halo" then you get double data allowance, so while they don't do an unlimited one, their 100gb plan is instead now "Unlimited" but Halo exclusive. Plus is i'm still on EE in effect... if I choose them... This one is £30 a month or you can go for the 100mb offer if not a BT customer already at £35
With BT you get BT Wifi and Free BT sport on mobile.

I'm yet to make my decision tbh but that's the pricing. Three is tempted price wise, but head is saying BT due to the fact it's still EE that way...

Last edited:
Soldato
I don't think that's necessarily true, I live and work in London, and if I go home to Wales, I'll spend time in either Bristol or Cardiff normally, which also both have 5G.

The point I was making wasn't whether or not 5G is available, rather it's how long until you actually require anything like the speed it can theoretically offer. I know my use case isn't everyone's, but my 4G speeds are way more than I require as it is. If I switched to 5G, I wouldn't notice and I suspect that for the vast majority of people, that would also be true.

Soldato
The point I was making wasn't whether or not 5G is available, rather it's how long until you actually require anything like the speed it can theoretically offer. I know my use case isn't everyone's, but my 4G speeds are way more than I require as it is. If I switched to 5G, I wouldn't notice and I suspect that for the vast majority of people, that would also be true.
I think when 4G is at its best yeah deffo, its rapid
But 5G in theory should not only be quicker at the top end, but being low latency (sub 3ms versus like 40+) and also will be more consistently at that high end 4G speed, if not like 900mbps.

Caporegime
The flip phone is pretty interesting, though the hinge is gonna be under massive scrutiny when reviewers get a hold of it as that was one of a few weak points in the fold.

Baffles me how the screen is a type of glass considering how flexible it is. :eek:

Soldato
Yeah I think bringing back the clam shell design is probably the better implementation for flexible screens with current technology.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom