**** The Official Samsung Galaxy S20 Family Thread ****

Soldato
I meant different apps to be able to do basic stuff like you get with ioS.

I don't want to have to download a different keyboard just to allow me to add a full stop after a sentence, or download an app that lets me enable scrolling with a single tap.

Does Swiftkey come as the default keyboard?
But what you are talking about is a basic sellling point of Android, customizability.

Androids relationship with apps is very different to ios i.e. Android Apps aren't just containerised things in isolation, they are much more than that and become basically part of the OS.

Launchers, Keyboards and Default browsers, mail clients and document managers ETC

Soldato
You can with swiftkey which highlights one of the beauties of Android - if something isn't to your taste chances are there's an app that is.

You can get swiftkey for iOS, and you can get different browsers too if you wish.

Unfortunately the problem with Android is that it's not as polished as iOS, no matter what hardware is powering it. There are still far too many issues and niggles that Android need to address, wakelock and random battery drain being one of the main ones.

Soldato
iOS doesn't even have a double tap the power button to launch the camera from any situation. Don't get me started on how antiquated some parts of iOS are.
This is actually the main reason I won't consider an iPhone. Having the phone unlocked and ready to take the photo by the time it's left my pocket is a massive timesaver and has enabled me to get shots I'd have missed if I'd been using an iPhone.

Soldato
How often do you need to use the camera that swiping down and pressing the camera button is a chore?

Funny thing is, you only need to wake the screen and long press the camera icon to launch it which hardly takes any time at all. Much prefer having double pressing the power button open up Apple Pay in an instant (as well as many other passes that integrate perfectly with the wallet). Not to mention if I take the phone out of my pocket and simply swipe left it'll launch the camera instantly.

Sure it's nice to customize some things, but people act like their lives depend on having this available.

Soldato
This is actually the main reason I won't consider an iPhone. Having the phone unlocked and ready to take the photo by the time it's left my pocket is a massive timesaver and has enabled me to get shots I'd have missed if I'd been using an iPhone.

You can left-swipe the lock screen on an iphone to open the camera. So it comes out of your pocket, swipe, camera on and ready. Maybe there's a couple of tenths in it for the double-click to open on Android but I doubt there's anything significant once you're accustomed to either method.

Associate
Much prefer having double pressing the power button open up Apple Pay in an instant

When you wave the phone over the terminal pay just comes up, no need to press buttons?

You can left-swipe the lock screen on an iphone to open the camera. So it comes out of your pocket, swipe, camera on and ready. Maybe there's a couple of tenths in it for the double-click to open on Android but I doubt there's anything significant once you're accustomed to either method.

That's pretty much what you do already on the S10, it is tricky with one hand though, whereas you can pull the device out one handed and be straight in snapping with the power and volume, I used to do it this way on an old Xperia, I never even considered I could set up my S10 to do it :o

I have almost justified and S20 upgrade based on this weekends videos, I was shooting them thinking, if I just had a bit more Zoom on my S10 I could get right into the action, funny how things were awesome until something new and shiny comes out :D

Soldato
It depends how important being able to take quick snaps when you're out and about is really. For me it's significant and I definitely notice that extra second with the iPhone.

Soldato
That's pretty much what you do already on the S10, it is tricky with one hand though, whereas you can pull the device out one handed and be straight in snapping with the power and volume, I used to do it this way on an old Xperia, I never even considered I could set up my S10 to do it :o

I didn't know you could use the volume buttons to take photos. I've just tested it on my Note 10 and it works :D

Soldato
When you wave the phone over the terminal pay just comes up, no need to press buttons?

I've got Face ID enabled so pretty much double tap power button, Face ID unlock and then tap to pay. In reality it's a matter of less than one second for the whole process to complete.

There are some cards that you can just tap over terminal without unlocking though, for example I have a Japan rail card added to my apple wallet which just needs a tap of the phone over the terminal to register.

Soldato
this thread is quickly turning into ios vs android.

the reality is that android is now very polished and as good if not better than ios.

the fact is also that people will have to change the way they use their phone if they want to go from one to another.

the same way you change the way you work between windows and macOS.

and that change is what triggers people, those that put those few days of effort and get used to android often learn to appreciate the wide selection of apps, keyboards, devices etc etc and some decide that apple "this is how we do it and you either like it or not" approach works for them.

should we get back to s20 now?

Soldato
the reality is that android is now very polished and as good if not better than ios.

It's not unfortunately, still way too many bugs with Android 10 which simply should not exist but it's all about the compromise people are willing to take to put up with each system.

Associate
I've got Face ID enabled so pretty much double tap power button, Face ID unlock and then tap to pay. In reality it's a matter of less than one second for the whole process to complete.

I'd like to say the S10 was quick also but I would be lying whilst tap to pay brings up the Pay app in an instant, it uses Samsung fingerprint reader which is a bloody woeful experience, my only gripe with the phone, my daughters Mi9 blows it out of the water :o

There are some cards that you can just tap over terminal without unlocking though, for example I have a Japan rail card added to my apple wallet which just needs a tap of the phone over the terminal to register.

That's how my daughter does her school bus, it is how the technology was always envisaged to be working, in a convenient way to make things better :)

Permabanned
this thread is quickly turning into ios vs android.

the fact is also that people will have to change the way they use their phone if they want to go from one to another.

the same way you change the way you work between windows and macOS.

and that change is what triggers people, those that put those few days of effort and get used to android often learn to appreciate the wide selection of apps, keyboards, devices etc etc and some decide that apple "this is how we do it and you either like it or not" approach works for them.

should we get back to s20 now?

Well said. I have an iPhone but also been using an A71 for the past week. I am very impressed with Android right now, it is extremely polished and very quick.

Associate
Some interesting reviews starting to show up on CNET and others online as well as other YouTube reviews.

Camera looks good in a number of samples when they are doing side by sides with pixel, iPhone it doesn't always come out as the winner and doesn't blow them away. Sadly, it still appears to have Samsung's annoying habit of overblowing colours and softening even with beauty off.

Night and zoom appear to be great strength , especially at 10x zoom.

One interesting one on CNET was saying they were disappointed with the battery, in 3rd place after the iPhone pro max and note 10+. They were running 120hz though and think turning it down to 60 Hz would help.

I'm wondering if you can disable 5g and get it to lock onto 4g only to save some juice.

There is a bit of a jump but I'm wondering if it can justify the trade in on my note 10+ or whether I hold out for the OP8 and others to become available, it's only going to get cheaper anyhow.

Need some more conclusive reviews this week

Back
Top Bottom