**** The Official Samsung Galaxy S23 Family Thread ****

Does anybody use routines to control a smartthings device? I used to have a bixby routine on my S21 Ultra that switched off a smart plug when the phone reached 85% charge - this was migrated to a routine during the last Android upgrade and worked successfully. The S23 Ultra didn't import this routine during the Smart Switch process and I can't see any way to add the smartthings device into a new routine.

Hearing they stopped the 15% birthday discount on the handset
My 15% Birthday voucher from this January could not be used. It is valid up till

It does specifically say at the bottom of the email that came with my Birthday code:

1. UK residents aged 18+. Valid on purchases from Samsung.com between 01/01/2023 to 28/02/2023. One voucher per individual and per transaction. Voucher can be used in conjunction with other promotions and offers. Voucher code cannot be used in conjunction with any voucher codes. Free delivery only available on all-day timeslots. This voucher excludes all smartphones, tablets, watches, computing, TV’s and home appliances released in January and February 2023.

I just checked my voucher from last year and it said the same thing, for January and February 2022

Last edited:
Does anybody use routines to control a smartthings device? I used to have a bixby routine on my S21 Ultra that switched off a smart plug when the phone reached 85% charge - this was migrated to a routine during the last Android upgrade and worked successfully. The S23 Ultra didn't import this routine during the Smart Switch process and I can't see any way to add the smartthings device into a new routine.

Can't help with the routines but you can set the phone too only charge to 85% with battery settings

Can't help with the routines but you can set the phone too only charge to 85% with battery settings
Yes, that's why I used the routine, the plug switches on at at 04.00 and the routine used to switch off the charger when it hit the battery protected limit so the phone wasn't sitting on a charger. Probably overkill but it seemed to work well. I'll carry on looking.

You don't need to do that 85% thing via routines as it's now a setting since OneUI 5 in the advanced battery options. But... you don't need this feature. All modern batteries are overcapacity internally anyway so when you charge to 100%, it's not truly at 100% - Like legacy stuff in SSDs like over provisioning which brands like Samsung have an option in their tool to enable, even though all modern SSDs have internal OP set which the user cannot see.

I have been charging to 100% since the S10e and not seen battery degrade, both wireless and wired fast charging.

Once the phone reaches 100% it will stop charging anyway exactly as engineered.

Thinking of dumping my preordered red and black S23U with Samsung and just ordering a standard colour via Amazon. The £150 off voucher and better trade in value mean its actually cheaper. The extra warranty is good too.

Gone for a green S23U and traded in my green S22U, getting a new phone that looks, feels and functions identically to my current phone :cry: might get some slightly better pictures out of it.
I know how you feel, I'm upgrading from a S21, I was exited when I ordered it but now I dont feel the same joy i did when I upgraded in the past, maybe I should have waited another year :cry:
lets see if things change when I open it.

Thought id try the S23 Ultra and just like the S22 Ultra and the ones before it, getting delayed Gmail notifications :/, its absolute outrageous they can't resolve this as of 2023

ive tried all settings, battery optimisations etc etc and side by side with an iPhone the s23 ultra gmail gets delayed by up to 5 mins. The Gmail app on iPhone is leagues ahead as far as notifications.

ive tried other email apps and they do work better but no other app offers the Primary, Social and Promotions filtering like the Gmail app. I use this a lot and cannot go back to having just one inbox for everything.

the phone it self is insanely fast, rips through everything, they did a great job I must say.

hey ho, back it goes!

Thinking of dumping my preordered red and black S23U with Samsung and just ordering a standard colour via Amazon. The £150 off voucher and better trade in value mean its actually cheaper. The extra warranty is good too.
Was thinking to possibly do the same, but Amazon only has the boring colours so I'll stick to my sky blue. Hopefully receive it in 7 days. Surely you would prefer the red even it's a bit more £ overall.

Thought id try the S23 Ultra and just like the S22 Ultra and the ones before it, getting delayed Gmail notifications :/, its absolute outrageous they can't resolve this as of 2023

ive tried all settings, battery optimisations etc etc and side by side with an iPhone the s23 ultra gmail gets delayed by up to 5 mins. The Gmail app on iPhone is leagues ahead as far as notifications.

ive tried other email apps and they do work better but no other app offers the Primary, Social and Promotions filtering like the Gmail app. I use this a lot and cannot go back to having just one inbox for everything.

the phone it self is insanely fast, rips through everything, they did a great job I must say.

hey ho, back it goes!

I'm curious, if you email your Gmail from a laptop (for example) using a different email than your Gmail, how long does it take before the phone pings?

I'm curious, if you email your Gmail from a laptop (for example) using a different email than your Gmail, how long does it take before the phone pings?
ive tried it all, every combination (office 365, yahoo mail, hotmail, from lots of different devices) ranges from 30secs, up to 5 mins, up to never unless I wake the phone up and actually go into Gmail app and let it refresh.

where as on the iPhone gets it instantly, every single time without fail, literally never had a delayed notification ever on it.

its not a new issue, its been happening for years with Android and Gmail, loads of posts on reddit, XDA and forums etc

example:

My only option would be use another email app but they only support unified mailbox so id have loads of emails coming in whereas the gmail app nicely filters out the none important mails into the 3 categories.

Last edited:
I only use Gmail infrequently, so I'll be honest it's not something I've noticed. For my regular email I just use the Samsung email app. I think it syncs every 15 mins or something which is fast enough for me.

Back
Top Bottom