**** The Official Samsung Galaxy S23 Family Thread ****

Looks like my current S20+ 5G wall charger is 25W, so I'll be fine then, yes?
What about this new 45W charger spec I read about ... that would charge faster, yes? Would it be advantagous for me to get one of these, either official Samsung from their site or generic on Ebay? or River place?
45W is only about 8-12 minutes faster. After 60% charged the voltage/current regulator throttles the speed down to the point where 15W/25W/45W are all basically 6the same, especially after 80% is reached. Just use the 25W one or invest in a wireless fast charging pad as the top up convenience trumps plugging in a wire all the time. I have a Choestech dual 18W wireless pad for desktop and a 15W pad in the car.

Any modern charger from the last few years will fast charge Samsung phones. This is labelled as Super Fast Charging, Super Fast Charging 2.0 is when a compatible 45W charger is used. I use the ZTE Nubia 60W GaN charger and that works with Super Fast Charging 2.0 for those rare times I do want a quick charge from low % to around 80% and the rest is done in the car wirelessly.

Last edited:
Got the DPD email too.. delivery was supposed to be 17th for Sky Blue.. hopefully it comes tomorrow! Ah it's just the case... Said I wanted them delivered same day.. annoying.

@mrk do you know what is the cheapest charger to buy that will get the full 45w speed? ( I know you said not much difference from 25w but after getting used to 80w I want the fastest possible). There's a lot that claim to be for S23U but then in small print state does not use Super Fast 2.0

Last edited:
Managed to get mine for £569.10 after all the discounts and trading in my S22U
And it arrived today, ordered on Friday. Just got the black one as thats what I had before and its going in a case anyway.
Screen protectors are delayed though, but then I only got them to get the extra 10% off so don't care really.

So about to do the SmartSwitch fandango this arvo.

Last edited:
Shows 1day 23 hrs for mine now, though I am a heavy user. The S22 Ultra was something like 1 day 8 hours.

The main thing here now is that idle battery drain is supremely low, it's not even a joke how much lower idle drain is against the S22 Ultra. Comparing day 6 on the S22 Ultra, you can see how much a difference idle battery drain on the SD8 gen 2 chipset has on the S23 Ultra. The S22's line has a continuous decline even through the night, whereas the 23's line is not far from flat overnight when idle. And the 22 Ultra has a higher screen off time in this example as well! I suspect factoring in idle time too, I could easily get 2-3 days out of one charge if I didn't actively use the phone so heavily.

S22 Ultra // S23 Ultra
batterylife_day6.png
aqrRpni.jpg

Ignore the small top up charge on the S22's graph, more focused on the idle drain in this comparison.
Yes, similar idle drain with the s21 Ultra too. I'm generally a heavy user, except Saturday when I have things to do like most people. So without much use, say 2hrs ish screen on time, the idle battery drain on the s21 Ultra was normally quite high imo, and generally battery would be about 40-50% by the end of a normal Saturday, yesterday I took my phone out my pocket and to my surprise it was 75%.

On my heavy use days its a vastly noticeable improvement too.

Reactions: mrk
Do you guys turn the scene optimisation on or off when using the camera.
I took a selection of pictures today & they where over exposed & lacking in colour.

BTW my S22U Spigen case doesn't fit the S23U the holes around the camera lenses are a) too small and b) slightly in the wrong position vertically.

Got the DPD email too.. delivery was supposed to be 17th for Sky Blue.. hopefully it comes tomorrow! Ah it's just the case... Said I wanted them delivered same day.. annoying.

@mrk do you know what is the cheapest charger to buy that will get the full 45w speed? ( I know you said not much difference from 25w but after getting used to 80w I want the fastest possible). There's a lot that claim to be for S23U but then in small print state does not use Super Fast 2.0

It needs to be a PPS supported charger, so something like this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Charger-Sa...-1-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&psc=1

Assuming you're using the Samsung USB or comparable cable then you'should be seeing "Super Fast Charging 2.0" on the screen when connected to that. The others on Amazon are 60W etc and are over £30 so at that price you may as well get the official Samsung 45W at £33 or so anyway.

Yes, similar idle drain with the s21 Ultra too. I'm generally a heavy user, except Saturday when I have things to do like most people. So without much use, say 2hrs ish screen on time, the idle battery drain on the s21 Ultra was normally quite high imo, and generally battery would be about 40-50% by the end of a normal Saturday, yesterday I took my phone out my pocket and to my surprise it was 75%.

On my heavy use days its a vastly noticeable improvement too.

Bit of an update on Wireless Android Auto. Happy to report that it's much more efficient on the S23 Ultra vs the Exynos S22 Ultra. Phone barely even gets warm during use. I could not have my S22 Ultra in a jacket pocket because it gets so hot it basically throttles and closes apps during Wireless Android Auto:

ybo1gxD.jpg

I am using Waze but by default Google Maps is the nav for Android Auto, so if you open that up and then load Waze in AA, then Maps still remains active and in the BG will suck battery power. Best to check that it's closed on the phone to stop those additional % drain from google Maps if you do happen to load Google Maps on AA, assuming you're not plugged into a charger or chargign wirelessly if phone is in the pocket. I just figured I'd test this out incase one day I went somewhere and just left the phone in my pocket in the car instead of on the wireless pad.

Do you guys turn the scene optimisation on or off when using the camera.
I took a selection of pictures today & they where over exposed & lacking in colour.

I have it off. My other camera settings are as follows, Video stabilisation is off because we now have double the precision for optical stabilisation vs the S22 Ultra so no need for EIS, EIS also introduces object ghosting/shuttering in low light so is distracting to my eyes, and it crops the picture in so you get a less wide video FOV.

I have it off, download the camera assistant app and make sure HDR is ON
On has not been an option for a couple years now on Samsung for HDR, it's Auto HDR on or off, so HDR could still be off or on depending on what the AI determines is the ideal exposure, usually it will be on though.

Back
Top Bottom