**** The Official Samsung Galaxy S23 Family Thread ****

Heard a helicopter flying overhead earlier and ran to the window as ideal opportunity to test out the zoom quality in daytime with a moving object in the sky and how much detail is retained.

Needless to say I am supremely impressed. The S22 Ultra's zoom video at 20x was good, but you could tell it was from a phone because it had that slightly rough look to it full screen on a monitor, whereas this looks like it was shot with a dedicated video camera. I have Video stabilisation off for all video recordings in the camera, so OIS is only used. EIS still has that weird curtain effect on vertical objects and lines which I don't like.

I then stabilised the initial hand shake in Davinci Resolve to see what stabilised in software looks like, again, very impressed. Recorded using HEVC in Quality mode, edited in HEVC too and exported at the highest profile, looks near identical to the native HEVC direct from phone so should not be any quality loss in the YouTube vid.

This is what our UFO spotters need :)

• Haha
Reactions: mrk
Finally cracking my box open tonight, think it's been answered but far too many delivery related posts to trawl through, is Smart Switch the best way to transfer things?

My phone and watch were delivered yesterday, spent the whole day just transferring all my photos and WhatsApp data. I found that SmartSwitch didn't transfer my WhatsApp data correctly, I resorted to another app called Mutsapper on the Play Store - I remember I had purchased an annual license when I tried out the Pixel 7 Pro. Everything's working great but battery life has taken a hit from the constant transferring so will see how it is over the next day or two.

The watch is great, nice big screen and the D Buckle strap is actually better than I thought it would be.

So in terms of the return. Have people used the label provided or gone down the route of special delivery?
I used my S22 Ultra box and put it in the bag provided, bit of bubble wrap and put the address label on but posted it via special delivery because last year my return was so long going through I got a little worried:)

Last edited:
My phone and watch were delivered yesterday....
I didn't realise you ordered the watch too. So your order was literally identical to mine, just placed later and mine still hasn't changed from order confirmed :/ I think there's been a mix-up and you've received my order by mistake - I'll pm you my details and you can forward it on to me. Thanks.

This is what our UFO spotters need :)
Given that it's 20x max on video zoom currently and the quality is that good, I suspect 30x or even 40x is easily possible, hoping they do that in a future update. That will truly make UFOs never show face again :p

Reviews seem good, supports all the standards inc PPS, not clear on whether the full PPS remains if all of the outputs are in use at the same time though but yeah otherwise looks fine.

So in terms of the return. Have people used the label provided or gone down the route of special delivery?

I cut the provided label in half removing the royal mail barcode stuff so they didn't accidentally scan that instead of the special del label and booked special del via royal mail send their website) - They bring a label with them and it was collected on my chosen collection day. Nice not having to go into a post office etc. Cost was £8.15 or so.

Well worth bookmarking and creating an account as everything is then saved.

Last edited:
Hhhmm I'm starting to get inklings of my previous battery issues (across multiple Android phones). Charged to 85% this morning, down to 83% quite quickly and I'm now on 66% but with only 45 mins of SoT. It is the first day I'm taking it to work and I've had no signal for most of that time so assume it's been hunting.

Edit - thanks @mrk, I'd previously missed that post of yours. I'll turn the feature off then. My fast battery drain issues have to be related to my use case (I'm on ID who piggyback off 3), especially me usually having poor signal throughout the day.

Last edited:
You don't want to run the battery below 15% or so on the regular, and at around that level te phone will prompt to plug in a charger too so these things are engineered in such ways to protect and prolongue battery life - Those first few % are always the most stressful to batteries, and this is the range where the fastest charge is applied too. Never had a %80/85% charge limit since S10e and battery degrade was never an issue even up to 2 years on. Modern batteries have beyond 100% capacity anyway and account for this, so a reported full charge 100% the phone stops charging anyway, and you're not actually at 100% internally for this very reason from everything I've read in modern times.

if not using a device for a long period of time with a rechargeable lithium battery then you you want the charge to be at no less than 50%, 50-80 being the nominal for long term storage as cells age over time and could result in battery bulge as mrwhosetheboss found in various Samsung phones last year on his "wall of phones" rack.

Last edited:
Anyone having any wallet problems? Several times now my Google wallet doesn't do anything when I present it, NFC and payments is on. All of these cards worked on my Poco.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom