**** The Official Samsung Galaxy S7/Edge Thread ****

Can VR games and things from the Google app store be used with the gear VR? Things made for cardboard etc?

Yes but you need to disable the Oculus Home service first with package disabler pro (£1.50 on the play store) or pop your phone into the GVR under the micro usb connection (careful not to damage it) to prevent Oculus Home launching.

Download the Jack the Ripper short, it's awesome.

I watched a 1080p episode of Gotham whilst sat in the virtual cinema, that looked pretty good tbh. It definitely shows potential but does also highlight you need a minimum of a 4k screen for VR. Even on the S7's 2k screen you can see the pixels quite easily.

This is my grip with it atm, its just to pixelated to enjoy watching. Why would you want to watch a film on it that is really pixelated when you can watch it properly.

I viewed a bit of Netflix to test it and it was good but we need higher dpi screens for it. It is a shame Samsung never went the 4k route with this phone as it would have been a massive advantage for VR.

I looked at is as knocking a bit of the phone price so sold mine on, I had a VR headset when the Note 4 came out and I can honestly say the content hasn't increased a whole lot from nearly a year ago.

Yeah but you have to temporarily disable the Gear VR service first

Yes but you need to disable the Oculus Home service first with package disabler pro (£1.50 on the play store) or pop your phone into the GVR under the micro usb connection (careful not to damage it) to prevent Oculus Home launching.

Thank you guys, I thought it would not be possible as it auto launches the Oculus app when the phone is inserted. Great news that it can be done, thanks both. :)

Guys, two questions if you please:

1) What is the best app for benchmarking a MicroSD card?

2) Can I use a MicroSD with the Gear VR and Oculus store to dump my movies in? It defaults to the one on the phone memory and I couldn't find anything definitive with a Google.

Cheers. :)

Last edited:
Very S7E order tried to be delivered today, 4 days early but I was at work so will pick it up tomorrow.

Thin fit case, as well as Slim Armor both ordered, wanna get the Neo Hybrid Crystal as well when Gold is back in stock.

Just watched some 1080p and 720p 3D (which for what its worth are the same due to the screen)

Gotta say, its actually pretty good. Yes, the pixels are there, but it doesnt take too long to forget about them. Very immersive, and sitting where I normally sit to watch my 55" tv, comparatively it is absolutely huge. Its around 7 foot away from my TV, and if I lift the unit off my head to see the TV, the image inside the unit is at least twice the size. And this can be increased further, but perhaps it increases the amount of pixels you see.

Its very nice indeed for a £80 (or free) device : )

I can't seem to get the films to read from a memory card though? Any thoughts? I don't think you can move the oculus folder to it, and when I dragged it across and made the relevant folders for the films, and .txt files etc, they wouldn't show up in my videos in the oculus cinema app.

Dragging the exact files back over to internal storage, they become visible.

Can anyone please confirm how to check which camera sensor is fitted?

It is in post 2555
Use this code in dialer *#34971539#, then press first button.

In Cam FW Ver string you will see 11 digits and letters.

The 5th letter tells you what sensor you have.
L = Samsung
S = Sony

Just watched some 1080p and 720p 3D (which for what its worth are the same due to the screen)

Gotta say, its actually pretty good. Yes, the pixels are there, but it doesnt take too long to forget about them. Very immersive, and sitting where I normally sit to watch my 55" tv, comparatively it is absolutely huge. Its around 7 foot away from my TV, and if I lift the unit off my head to see the TV, the image inside the unit is at least twice the size. And this can be increased further, but perhaps it increases the amount of pixels you see.

Its very nice indeed for a £80 (or free) device : )

It's fantastic isn't it! The low res doesn't bother me that much, I'm so astounded by the overall experience. Have you tried the free games Temple Run and Smash Hit? The resolution is much better than any 360 video. It's the sheer size of everything that makes my jaw drop, it's all lifesize or bigger. Highlight the game Dreadhalls and it turns your surroundings into a preview of one massive room. Download Cirque De Soleil from the Oculus Store, it's 700mb and well worth watching, there's stuff going on all around you. Invasion is awesome. Try 'Rose' too, it's an interactive story which is very, very nice! Try Streetview VR. I was standing in East 42nd street, New York stretching my neck to see the tops of the skyscrapers, but it's like you're right there in the middle of it, it's amazing. Can you tell I'm impressed by VR? :D

By the way, you can download 3D half SBS movies from youtube and watch them in the oculus cinema. In the Oculus folder, make a folder called 'Movies' and inside that, make a folder just called '3D'.That 3D folder tells Oculus that there's a 3D movie to enable.

Was someone having problems with the Samsung browser and logging into your PayPal account using your fingerprint ? I've got a solution and I've just tried it and it worked for me basically after registering your fingerprint to your login details.. you need to go to settings > advanced > manage website data. You need to clear it. And that did the trick for me I can log into my PayPal using just my fingerprint.

so after ordering on the 29th Feb i finally received my phone today.

i gave up with this thread on the 10th as i was jealous :)

can anyone recommend some settings which may need turning off.

Themes people recommend

and anything else really.

oh and i've a samsung sensor :)

Was someone having problems with the Samsung browser and logging into your PayPal account using your fingerprint ? I've got a solution and I've just tried it and it worked for me basically after registering your fingerprint to your login details.. you need to go to settings > advanced > manage website data. You need to clear it. And that did the trick for me I can log into my PayPal using just my fingerprint.

I have the problem, I checked and my manage website data is already clear.

Thanks anyway.

Back
Top Bottom