**** The Official Samsung Galaxy S7/Edge Thread ****

Soldato
whats the best case and tampered glass protector for the s7 please?. The case i currently have does not have a high enough raised lip at the front. When i put on a tampered glass protector it is at the same height as the raised lips of the case.

Mobster
Soldato
Now if only they could do the same to their whole TouchWiz experience!

Indeed. I don't know how people can say Samsung phones are as fast as iOS devices. The UI on iOS in my experience is consistently fast and responsive. TouchWiz can be like that but then five minutes later you get lag.

Having said that, Android just isn't as fast as iOS I've decided. It's not mostly a problem but there is something inside me that makes me more at ease with iOS. It's hard to explain but I feel if I used an iOS device for a week and then did the same for an Android device overall iOS would be better with better written apps and a more consistent experience.

Soldato
Indeed. I don't know how people can say Samsung phones are as fast as iOS devices. The UI on iOS in my experience is consistently fast and responsive. TouchWiz can be like that but then five minutes later you get lag.

Having said that, Android just isn't as fast as iOS I've decided. It's not mostly a problem but there is something inside me that makes me more at ease with iOS. It's hard to explain but I feel if I used an iOS device for a week and then did the same for an Android device overall iOS would be better with better written apps and a more consistent experience.

If only iOS allowed more customization and better support with media playback I'd switch over in an instant, but unfortunately the customization of Android is what is keeping me with it, and the S7 Edge providing one of the best displays and all round experience to the best it can.

I'm really hoping the next iOS brings something new to the table, as well as the next iPhone.

iOS is still the better OS in my opinion because of pretty much the reasons you listed.

Mobster
Soldato
If only iOS allowed more customization and better support with media playback I'd switch over in an instant, but unfortunately the customization of Android is what is keeping me with it, and the S7 Edge providing one of the best displays and all round experience to the best it can.

I'm really hoping the next iOS brings something new to the table, as well as the next iPhone.

iOS is still the better OS in my opinion because of pretty much the reasons you listed.

Rational debate in the Android forum about Apple without argument. This cannot stand! :p

Associate

I agree. I work in IT and all we use at work are iPhones. I also have an iPad 2017 in the house. The iPhones are very clearly more responsive to use and faster than my S7. That's not even just the iPhone 7 either, in fact, the iPhone 6S also feels faster to me, and even in some circumstances, the original iPhone 6. I'd put the day-to-day performance of the S7 Edge alongside the 5S in all honesty. Obviously the S7 would utterly blitz it in benchmarks, but benchmarks aren't real-world use.

I am consistently amazed at how Samsung manage to take some awesome hardware, and make it run like a 4 year old device. I'm not 'unhappy' with the S7 Edge, but I have to admit, I won't be buying another Samsung. It'll be Pixel all the way if I stick with Android, or I might even consider the iPhone!

Things that make me want to stick with Android though are the notifications (Androids are simply HUGELY better), ability to customise (although I find myself getting increasingly bored with this), access to the file system (that's coming on a basic level to iOS 11) but something I really don't use very often, and the amount of issues I have with SD cards are putting me off, also the better media support on Android, but again, I think I heard FLAC support is coming to iOS, and it already supports most video formats via VLC. One thing I really wish they would improve in iOS is the sharing functionality, which isn't a patch on Android (share almost anything from almost any app with any other app or person). I also do like Google Now but find it more of a gimmick than anything else. I've never really had an amazing use case for that.

One of my colleagues was very anti-iPhone, but they stopped offering Android devices where I work, so was pretty much forced to get the iPhone, and even he grudgingly admits its not as bad as he thought, and in some cases, actually better. I must admit, I could be tempted for the first time in years....

Last edited:
Associate
Yep I know, like I say, I've got an iPad as well so I do use a lot of the gApps on there. Makes me wonder what's in it for them to offer apps that are generally as good as their Android equivalents on the rival platform.

Even after all this time, I do still find Android apps appear to be behind their iOS equivalents. Facebook is a good example. The Android app is horrific - just little things like scrolling through comments and having the long press menu appearing constantly is so frustrating, and that's not the only bug I've noticed. None of the bugs I notice on Android Facebook are there on the iPad.

Apart from anything else a change is as good as the rest anyway, and I am certainly not ruling out switching to iOS. The only thing I would miss is my "Torque" app to connect to my cars OBD reader, but to be fair I've got an HTC M8 I use as a walkman in bed and as a spare phone, so its not exactly a problem either...

Soldato
I agree. I work in IT and all we use at work are iPhones. I also have an iPad 2017 in the house. The iPhones are very clearly more responsive to use and faster than my S7. That's not even just the iPhone 7 either, in fact, the iPhone 6S also feels faster to me, and even in some circumstances, the original iPhone 6. I'd put the day-to-day performance of the S7 Edge alongside the 5S in all honesty. Obviously the S7 would utterly blitz it in benchmarks, but benchmarks aren't real-world use.

I am consistently amazed at how Samsung manage to take some awesome hardware, and make it run like a 4 year old device. I'm not 'unhappy' with the S7 Edge, but I have to admit, I won't be buying another Samsung. It'll be Pixel all the way if I stick with Android, or I might even consider the iPhone!

Things that make me want to stick with Android though are the notifications (Androids are simply HUGELY better), ability to customise (although I find myself getting increasingly bored with this), access to the file system (that's coming on a basic level to iOS 11) but something I really don't use very often, and the amount of issues I have with SD cards are putting me off, also the better media support on Android, but again, I think I heard FLAC support is coming to iOS, and it already supports most video formats via VLC. One thing I really wish they would improve in iOS is the sharing functionality, which isn't a patch on Android (share almost anything from almost any app with any other app or person). I also do like Google Now but find it more of a gimmick than anything else. I've never really had an amazing use case for that.

One of my colleagues was very anti-iPhone, but they stopped offering Android devices where I work, so was pretty much forced to get the iPhone, and even he grudgingly admits its not as bad as he thought, and in some cases, actually better. I must admit, I could be tempted for the first time in years....

If they can bring OLED displays and support for FLAC to the iPhone I'd seriously consider the switch to iPhone.

As with the google apps on iOS, I can vouch for that with my iPad Air 2 which seems to run all google apps better than my S7 Edge :S

V_R

V_R

Soldato
As I understand it BTU are unlocked sim free phones direct from Samsung, and XEU are unlocked sim free phones from CPW.

Associate
Since upgrading the S7 Edge to latest Android version I've had an issue with WiFi networks where there's an exclamation mark in the WiFi icon whenever I unlock the phone. This goes away after about 10-20 seconds but during that time the WiFi is essentially inaccessible as it's like the connection is being re-established. I'm not sure this happened before the update and is very annoying. Is it a setting or something? I just want it to maintain the WiFi connection

Back
Top Bottom