**** The Official Samsung Galaxy S7/Edge Thread ****

Soldato
Has anyone ordered sim free from CPW got confirmation of the free Gear VR?

I can only get it to appear in the basket by adding a contract phone, if I add sim free it doesn't show. The chat advisor said it will be added automatically, but I'm a little dubious.

NKFQIuI.png

Spoke to CPW they said sim free would get free VR but not at release date, initial stock reserved for contracts and SIM Free to follow on later.

Associate
Spoke to CPW they said sim free would get free VR but not at release date, initial stock reserved for contracts and SIM Free to follow on later.

Hmm, seems like one of those things that is going to be a massive pain to sort out, especially if there's no official confirmation from them that the VR is included with the order.

I think I'll just go to Samsung then. Would have been nice to pick up in store from CPW to avoid the hassle of deliveries.

Soldato
Finally had a look at both in shop today...

S7 black looks OK but doesnt stand out that much... Gold Edge stands out more but SO big!

Coming from a Z3c I wanted a bigger screen but think Edge is just too big, S7 is perfect size but doesnt have the same WOW factor as the Edge...what to do...hm....

Don't even worry about the Edge. Get the standard and trust me, once you start using it you won't even be thinking about the Edge anymore. The S7 edge is a pretty looking gimmick, but the S7 standard is still a very pretty looking phone. I've got last year's standard S6 in Gold and have never looked back, it has imo every bit as much wow factor as the Edge.

Not really, I'd take a 64GB or 128Gb internal over 32GB with sdcard slot every time.

Image, music, video and documents can stored online and streamed, unless you live in the middle of nowhere with no internet you don't need to carry much with you.

Over the years I've used sdcards and found I only really need them for extended app storage, resorting to rooting and using apps to install ogg data to the sdcard is a huge annoyance I hope never to repeat.

Yep. I use MS OneDrive to upload a fair bit of my media and documents. I'm glad I got a 64GB fixed storage S6. 9GB is automatically swallowed up by the system memory (I assume the S7 will be similar) leaving me 55GB. After 8 months of owning this phone, I've only used about 14GB of which just under 5GB is apps, and I've still got 40GB available.

Depending on app usage, I suppose 32GB wouldn't be too bad. If my phone had been the 32GB version, I'd still have about 9GB left to play with. But it might still be a dealbreaker for me if I was due for an S7 upgrade.

Last edited:
Soldato
Screen size offsets the larger battery.

Not entirely if you look at Note 5 with its 5.7" screen and only a 3000mah battery, I expect this phone with a more efficient cpu and 600 more on the battery will be decent seeing as its only 5.5. We only talking a small amount bigger than the standard S7 but with a bigger capacity battery.

I would be surprised if the life isn't really good.

Last edited:
Soldato
Does look like it should be good but amazed so many people are ordering it without knowing for sure!

Battery life is irrelevant t me, currently using a Galaxy S6 and I don't have any problems with it. I always put my phones on charge at the end of the day anyway.

I ordered the S7 Edge as imo Samsung make the best phones.

Associate
Just seen the 2 colour choices in store and for a minute I thought they had a silver version but turned out it was the gold. Now with no silver titanium not being sold in the uk yet, was it just the lighting that caused it to look so nice? Got a black on order but if there was a silver version would def go for that. The gold didn't actually look that bad but worried in non halogen super bright light it will actually be more yellow and bling.

Associate
I got a G4 at Xmas but keep looking at the S7 Edge. The G4 camera has been poor capturing my toddler. The S7 camera with Dual AF seems a step up.

I know I can use the DSLR but it for those moments when going for a walk or out for dinner and you want to capture the moment then and there.

Back
Top Bottom