**** The Official Samsung Galaxy S8/S8+ Thread ****

Had the phone for less than a day and here are some of my initial thoughts. Solutions welcome.

- Coming from a Nexus 6 the camera is great, really responsive.
- I do miss the larger screen of the N6.
- Not convinced by the Clear View case, it's nice not requiring a screen protector but the flap cover is annoying for single-handed use/photos and the case design makes the fingerprint scanner worthless.
- Iris scanner is awesome
- Navigation bar, not sure whether to leave it on and lose screen space or have it hide. I think I prefer hide but the delay before it hides is a bit slow and you can't change it?
- The "always on display" feature seems like a good idea but it isn't great at night when you want to sleep and your phone is glowing away.

Yeah I'm not sure about always on display either. On the plus side there's an option to toggle it from the launcher when you swipe down from the top of the screen. It's something I turn off at night but toggle on during the day if I remember to enable it.

Of course I have, but you are incorrect the Chrome version for windows is not the same as the version on the S8.if you read the instructions though this is what it says: "Today we are very glad to release the much awaited version 2 of our Chrome Extension. Install it today to sync bookmarks across your Chrome browser on PC and Samsung Internet." Nothing about the Chrome version for android which is what I wish to sync with.
My point is to sign into Chrome on your Android, sign into Chrome in your desktop, allow them to sync there, then install the extension on your Chrome desktop which will sync to your Samsung Internet browser surely?

Screen on this thing is made of cheese. Had the s7edge and it was ok after a year without a protector.

Already have a small scratch with you can feel with a finger nail and now some kind of small smudge on the screen coating.

Luckily neither visible with screen on so not too irritating yet. Doubt it will be pretty in 6 months.

I did initially hate the change to the navigation bar, but it's grown on me now and I really like the fact it disappears off screen whilst not required.

I just really want to get the full Bixby update, seen a interesting video on YouTube of someone going through the Bixby update. It really was interesting.

Had a bit of a concern with mine. I got it on o2 so it had o2's firmware installed and the latest update for it had the April security update installed. Since I'd much rather have recent security updates and I'd also prefer to be able to get newer updates in future (like 7.1 perhaps) on time, I thought I'd flash to the standard BTU firmware - just keeping with stock Samsung firmware as I'm not interested in rooting it. That went ok but after the flash my options menu was a bit different and I had "T Roaming" and "KT Two Phone Service" options which appear to be for Korea Telecom...not good. On top of that the storage was only reported as 16GB.

Luckily a factory reset fixed the space issue but the Korean network options remained. I then flashed with Odin again but enabled the repartition option and luckily it then came back up with no more Korean Telecom options and the correct capacity. Result. All was good until I tried to launch Secure Folder which reported a "cannot be set up because unauthorised software was installed on the device". Oh dear. I checked the recovery menu to make sure I hadn't tripped Knox and triggered the warranty void bit and luckily I hadn't, as indeed I shouldn't have as I'm only flashing legit Samsung firmware and not any hacked stuff. In the end I managed to get it sorted by using Odin and flashing the BL, AP, CP and CSC images - previously I was only flashing the AP image which is what I'd read to do. So now it's all good and I've got legit BTU firmware with no warranty void flag and my Secure Folder working :)

Anyway, does anyone have any recommendation for decent screen protectors? I'm really crap at applying screen protectors and I usually can't get them right, so some that aren't too expensive would be good.

Also, any thoughts on an adapter that would let me charge the phone while providing a USB port and an HDMI port too? Is that even possible on these? My logic is that if I'm in a hotel or whatever I could play some games on the TV while leaving my phone on charge and having a controller hooked up. Of course the easiest option would be to just use a bluetooth controller and wireless charger, but I'm just curious if the wired option is possible.

Really starting to dislike the Clear View case. Aside from being fiddly to take one-handed photos, it doesn't allow you to use the actual 'Always on Display' screen that shows notifications and battery level, etc. You get a clock and the date, that's all.

Had the phone for less than a day and here are some of my initial thoughts. Solutions welcome.

- Coming from a Nexus 6 the camera is great, really responsive.
- I do miss the larger screen of the N6.
- Not convinced by the Clear View case, it's nice not requiring a screen protector but the flap cover is annoying for single-handed use/photos and the case design makes the fingerprint scanner worthless.
- Iris scanner is awesome
- Navigation bar, not sure whether to leave it on and lose screen space or have it hide. I think I prefer hide but the delay before it hides is a bit slow and you can't change it?
- The "always on display" feature seems like a good idea but it isn't great at night when you want to sleep and your phone is glowing away.
You can set the AoD to turn off between certain times. Mine goes off at 11pm and back on at 8am. It's in settings.

You can set the AoD to turn off between certain times. Mine goes off at 11pm and back on at 8am. It's in settings.

Yeah, I found that not long after I made the post which is an improvement. The gripe I have now is how the AoD doesn't interact properly with the Clear View case, which essentially removes the usefulness of it completely.

I'm thinking I may need to get a new case that doesn't have a flap!

Ah should have said I'm not keen on vent mounted units as they can be flimsy and block air/heat flow... Was look more at a stable dash mount or window mount really :)

Thanks

This definitely isn't flimsy, it's the first one I've actually got on with which is why I keep re-using it across multiple phones, BUT it will definitely block airflow with one of these phones in it :) I just turn the vent off and pretend it's not there anymore :D

I've never trusted the on-dash ones and don't like anything on the window. I'd be curious to see if anyone has a dash one they would point to though.

This definitely isn't flimsy, it's the first one I've actually got on with which is why I keep re-using it across multiple phones, BUT it will definitely block airflow with one of these phones in it :) I just turn the vent off and pretend it's not there anymore :D

I've never trusted the on-dash ones and don't like anything on the window. I'd be curious to see if anyone has a dash one they would point to though.
Sorry I meant the airvent being flimsy not the phone holder, should have explained that better :)

Back
Top Bottom