**** The Official Samsung Galaxy S9/S9 Plus Thread ****

Associate
If you mean a text tone and not a ringtone, then I use Next SMS by Handcent which does allow this. I've not used the Samsung Messages app for many years. You can personalise, the led colour, text tone, led flash, on screen alert symbol and much more for each contact.[/QUOT

Cheers for this info. In the Samsung app you can still assign a ringtone but no longer assign a notification tone. Once again cheers.

I had a peculiar issue yesterday? The home screen was totally black. I could see the top status bar showing sim's battery time etc and I could also see the notification panel by pulling it down. The lock screen was also visible so too was the always on display. The only way I could fix this was to hard reset the phone. Samsung tech had no idea and suggested a hard reset.
It was a bit of a pain but it did fix the issue.

The firmware update is only available to XEU phones at the moment. It has not been released to BTU phones yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
I had a play with the S9+ and got to compare it with my S8+, I just don't see the justification that you are to warrant the need to upgrade tbh.

The speakers are better yeah, but in terms of everything else it was very similar.

I guess if you just want the latest and greatest then by all means but for finding reasons to needing to upgrade from the 8 series it's just not enough, and that's nothing against Samsung, the S8 is still a great device to purchase to this day as was/is the S7

Associate
My reasons to make it a worth while upgrade from an S8/+ to an S9+:
-6GB ram. Difference is night & day compared to 4GB on my S8+. Holds more apps without having to refresh or redraw when switching between them. Also the bigger internal storage is definitely a plus.
-Stereo Speakers. No explanation needed.
-Better Camera.
-Project Treble. Have yet to be tested but if this will significantly speed up updates then this by itself would be worth the upgrade.

Associate
I have a s9+ direct from samung on a SIM only from EE which expires next month. Wificalling works fine without any special firmware. If I move to o2 or Vodafone (they have better reception at my new work) will I be able to keep using Wi-Fi calling with the open market firmware or do o2/Vodafone lock it down to only handsets purchased with them?

Soldato
I have a s9+ direct from samung on a SIM only from EE which expires next month. Wificalling works fine without any special firmware. If I move to o2 or Vodafone (they have better reception at my new work) will I be able to keep using Wi-Fi calling with the open market firmware or do o2/Vodafone lock it down to only handsets purchased with them?

Only certain plans work with wifi calling on Vodafone

Code:
A Pay monthly Red Extra or Red Entertainment plan, a Red or Red Value Bundle or Red+
Business customers should refer to our Wi-Fi Calling for Business page to see compatible price plans and more information

to activate

Code:
Text CALLING to 97888

With o2 you have to be on o2 firmware.

Back
Top Bottom