**** The Official Samsung Galaxy S9/S9 Plus Thread ****

Caporegime
Farting about with one today in the 02 store, nice snappy phone, checking the storage on it it surprised me it only had 90gb free out of 128 :eek:, even taking into account the stuff they load on display models that seemed a bit over the top.

Wouldn't mind an upgrade but currently my wallets flipping me the bird :(

Soldato
Hmmm I have the opportunity to get an S9 for significantly under RRP direct from Samsung but I can't seem to justify it due to it only being a small upgrade on my current S8.

Is £650 a decent price for a sealed S9 direct from Samsung?

Soldato
Farting about with one today in the 02 store, nice snappy phone, checking the storage on it it surprised me it only had 90gb free out of 128 :eek:, even taking into account the stuff they load on display models that seemed a bit over the top.

Wouldn't mind an upgrade but currently my wallets flipping me the bird :(

Probably got tons of photos on that people have taken, ive got quite a lot of apps etc stored on mine now and its still got 104gb free

Associate
depends on if you want android or ios simples, both are great phones in their own right, my wife has the x and i have s9+ personally id stick with what i have but its down to personal preference

I really like both and I like the iOS polish but love the S9+ functionality.

Caporegime
Probably got tons of photos on that people have taken, ive got quite a lot of apps etc stored on mine now and its still got 104gb free

It didn't believe it or not, i went through the galleries and there were only a small amount of promo photos on it, no pictures or videos that had been recorded by people messing about with it. Unusual for a display phone to say the least, must have only been out a day or so.

Associate
(Ladies? and) Gentlemen, please, grab a hanky and dab away my tears...

String quartet - play us a sad one...

Galaxy S2 - not a blemish
Galaxy S4 - not a blemish
Galaxy S6 - one deep scratch after approximately 18 months' use - fair innings - was bothered but not enough to act
Galaxy S9+ - a one-inch and tangibly deep scratch after only under three days unboxed :eek::(

Prime suspect is the small metal clip on my work ID lanyard. I've been careful to keep it away from my keys, etc.

Before all the "told-you-so mumsnets" :p chime in about cases and screen protectors, I have a case on order but the one I had my eye on - Spigen Reventon - is not yet available. The ticking time bomb has, if not entirely gone BOOM, has at least sparked. I am sad but hey, worse things have happened, and will happen yet!

Got some cerium oxide paste on way from the rainforest - they don't necessarily recommend that it's used on phone screens but I'm not sure what else to try. Maybe some of the wax I use on my motorcycle's petrol tank. I suspect it's too deep to rectify though, I can easily feel it with my fingernail and it is visible from all angles.

Anybody got any fabulous ideas? Tried and tested first-hand - not internet myth please ;). I'm hopeful that if I can fill it with something and then lay a protector over top it may stay filled and hidden...

Associate
Hmmm I have the opportunity to get an S9 for significantly under RRP direct from Samsung but I can't seem to justify it due to it only being a small upgrade on my current S8.

Is £650 a decent price for a sealed S9 direct from Samsung?

Not really worth an upgrade from an S8. I personally wouldn't.

Associate
As a rule of thumb I believe Google stated that if the phone ships with oreo it has to support treble.

Yeah with treble every Oreo device should be able to boot up a stock AOSP image. Most current flagships that ship with Oreo are all able to flash a stock image with little effort including those from Sony, Huawei, HTC and essential.

The galaxy s9 should be no different. Of course any sort of modding will still trip Knox and treble or not, users are still at the behest of Samsung's update policy

Associate
Just did a manual software update check and it came up with a 242.97MB update file for my S9+. I'm on Vodafone and phone came direct from Samsung. Says the update has improvements in the stability of the face unlock and camera plus other things.

All completed, I also noticed if I go back into the software update section that it now shows at the bottom when the latest update file was installed including the time and date. I don't remember ever seeing that on my old S7E that was on Android 7

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom