**** The Official Samsung Galaxy S9/S9 Plus Thread ****

Soldato
I have an S7 edge which I absolutely love but is 18 months old. O2 are now hassling me to upgrade and have offered to pay the remainder of my contract in order to upgrade now. I'm tempted but Im not sure what to do.

I quite fancy upgrading to a "+" model in order to make use of the bigger screen. Obviously it would be cheaper to go for the S8+ but given that these are 2 year contracts I would end up with quite an out of date phone. That leaves me with the S9 or S9+. Is the extra for the + worth it in peoples experience? Also if the choice was the S8+ or S9 what would you do?

Basically I don't really want to spend much money as I have other priorities and I want to get the best "sweet spot" between value and new tech.

From your own experiences of upgrading what do you think my best option is?

Associate
Placeholder - I don't do contracts but my 10pence worth is that the S9+ is probably better than the S9 but of course is more expensive. Depends if you want a bigger screen though. I had the smaller S8 and regretted not getting an S8+. That's why ended up getting an S9+. S9+ is going to cost more over an S8+ and if you need to save a bit of money then you could do worse than an S8+. Shop around and see what's available. S8 and S9 phones aren't too far apart. Not a big upgrade at all. You may get better deals on an S8 model. In the end only you can decide..

Soldato
Placeholder - I don't do contracts but my 10pence worth is that the S9+ is probably better than the S9 but of course is more expensive. Depends if you want a bigger screen though. I had the smaller S8 and regretted not getting an S8+. That's why ended up getting an S9+. S9+ is going to cost more over an S8+ and if you need to save a bit of money then you could do worse than an S8+. Shop around and see what's available. S8 and S9 phones aren't too far apart. Not a big upgrade at all. You may get better deals on an S8 model. In the end only you can decide..

Yeah I totally understand that Im asking about something that comes down to personal preference so theres no real right or wrong answer!

However I know that there are people here who upgraded from the S7 to either S9, or S8+ or S9+ and Im just wondering if they felt the jump was worth the extra money having no doubt had the phones for a while and also whether the increased screen size is actually useful in reality.

I currently use my phone as my sat nav, music player, watch some media, listen to podcasts and as my main camera. I don't need it for music when exercising as I have an iPod for that so I figure the size increase won't matter as much, plus I don't go out drinking as much as I used to so im hoping the chances of smashing it up/dropping it/losing it are reduced too!!

I find that the S7 while brilliant is a little too small to replace my iPad in terms of watching films and reading books on the kindle app, maybe that wee bit extra screen makes a big difference or maybe its still too small in practice?

Associate
I upgraded from S8 to S9+. If I'd had an S8+ then the upgrade would have been a disappointment but for me the bigger phone makes it worthwhile. Could have saved a bit and bought an S8+ but didn't see the point. S8+ wasn't particularly discounted either.

Anyway, personally I'm pleased with the bigger display and glad I swapped.

Soldato
I upgraded from S8 to S9+. If I'd had an S8+ then the upgrade would have been a disappointment but for me the bigger phone makes it worthwhile. Could have saved a bit and bought an S8+ but didn't see the point. S8+ wasn't particularly discounted either.

Anyway, personally I'm pleased with the bigger display and glad I swapped.

Excellent. Do you use the phone for watching stuff and/or reading?

Associate
Excellent. Do you use the phone for watching stuff and/or reading?

Web browsing, kindle, xda, email and the rest. Can't say I've watched a film but YouTube and Sky Go. Not so much satnav as it connects to head unit for android auto or use the Pioneers Navgate. All the usual stuff. Display is good for them all. I have an Android Tablet but hardly use it these days.

Soldato
Web browsing, kindle, xda, email and the rest. Can't say I've watched a film but YouTube and Sky Go. Not so much satnav as it connects to head unit for android auto or use the Pioneers Navgate. All the usual stuff. Display is good for them all. I have an Android Tablet but hardly use it these days.

Yeah see I have a MacBook air and an iPad that I use round the house when my wife is watching TV and I suspect with a slightly bigger phone I wouldn't be using them so much. Part of me feels its a waste of money to upgrade but another part of me looks at how much use I get from my phone and think its probably the most justifiable tech expense in the house! We are also at the stage where my phone is probably the most power bit of kit spec wise too!

Associate
They are to an extent a waste of money and could do pretty much the same on far cheaper phone. End of day I work hard and could afford it so what the hell :D. Something I use for business and pleasure and if I'm careful could see me for a couple of years (sim free) There again something better might come along and I'll trade. I was very happy with the S8 except I kind of wished I'd gone with the Plus. S9 Plus has a good enough camera, runs every app I want it too. I've read others have 'Samsung lag', I don't seem to have any on my phone. Battery does a day no problem and typing this in full sun and display is plenty easy to see. Only prob I had was call cutting and that has been fixed now with the last software update.

Soldato
I hate it when people sneer about folks buying something when by the numbers you could get the same thing for much less.

the exact same argument could be made for cars or clothes or whatever... screw you I make my own money and I'll spend it on whatever makes me happy and more to the point, devices like this as with so many other things are more than the sum of their parts.

You can have a snapdragon 845 or whatever it is, 8gb ram, 200mp camera and 512gb storage and still be a POS. Trust me, I've tried enough phones to know that!

Soldato
I hate it when people sneer about folks buying something when by the numbers you could get the same thing for much less.

the exact same argument could be made for cars or clothes or whatever... screw you I make my own money and I'll spend it on whatever makes me happy and more to the point, devices like this as with so many other things are more than the sum of their parts.

You can have a snapdragon 845 or whatever it is, 8gb ram, 200mp camera and 512gb storage and still be a POS. Trust me, I've tried enough phones to know that!

Totally agree. I used to have plenty of cash for technology purchases on a whim and always had the latest kit. My problem is I now currently have a 6month old child to add to the mix and a 4 bedroom house to renovate so I still have the gadget lovers mindset but without the wallet to match! That's why Im looking for value for money moreso than previous upgrades when I wouldn't have thought twice!

Associate
Oh well bit the bullet and have gone for the S9+!

Only seen your original post now but personally I would have stuck with the s7 and gone sim only. Then just put a few quid away each month and when you've got enough buy whatever phone you want. It's what I did a few years ago when my kids were born and I wouldn't go back to phone contract again.

I've got the s9 which i paid fully, it just helps having an extra few quid each month to use on the kids instead.

Back
Top Bottom