The Official Samsung SM226BW Thread!

Soldato
sajtion said:
hdcp is not true hdmi and only 300 brightness is very disappointing. i would have liked 450 at least

You could just resort to staring at a pretty looking fly trap, that is nearly as bright as that.. :p

Soldato
sajtion said:
hdcp is not true hdmi and only 300 brightness is very disappointing. i would have liked 450 at least

Assuming from that that you now own this monitor. Please can you post pics :)

Caporegime
TheDean said:
I'm still struggling to understand 1:1 mapping - is there a link someone could give me?

1:1 mapping is this

If you select 1280x1024 in windows, you get only the center 1280x1024 pixels displaying the image, if you select filled with aspect, it stretched proportionally still with boarders.

This is in native mode. Without 1:1 any res lower than the monitor's 1680x1050 res will be stretched to fill. A bit like watching 4:3 programs in a widescreen TV with things looks stretched sideways.

1117dp.jpg

Notice the black boarders all round? This is on the Philips monitor.

Man of Honour
.. but as Baddass says.. the new Samsung does not support 1:1 mapping.

I'm still concerned that the 22" is still 1600x1024. If it was 1:1 mapping, then the screen should theorically show only 20" becuase that is the native res of a 20" TFT. So the question remains.. what's it doing with those extra 2" to fit on a 22" TFT ???

I'm, still not convinced by the 22" TFTs.. the 22" samsung I had was poor quality of that comapred to my outgoing 19" CRT. I'm convinced a 20" would be crispier.

I was wondering if the shop could confirm if there is any news on stocking the SM-206BW??

Last edited:
Soldato
Admiral Huddy said:
I'm still concerned that the 22" is still 1600x1024. If it was 1:1 mapping, then the screen should theorically show only 20" becuase that is the native res of a 20" TFT. So the question remains.. what's it doing with those extra 2" to fit on a 22" TFT ???

Firstly its 1680x1050 resolution

Secondly 20" and 22" can have the same native res, just make each individual pixel on the 22" slightly bigger to fill the extra area created by the biggest panel.

Associate
Guru said:
Assuming from that that you now own this monitor. Please can you post pics :)

I will post pics tonight m8 just need to lend a decent camera because my d500 is rubbish. :)
I was in two minds whether to get the 20" version because of the res but glad i got this now and a great price aswell.

Last edited:
Soldato
Admiral Huddy said:
Yes, the 20" and 22" screens both share the same native resolution and yes, the 22" will be 'stretched' or less sharp than the 20".

However, 17" and 19" 5:4 tft's both share the same native resolution and i've never heard anyone complain about the sharpness of 19" tft's. I've used both 17" and 19" tft's and i honestly couldn't make out a difference in picture quality between the two.

Something else to note is that a 19" tft also has a lower pixel density than a 22" screen which means that there will be an even smaller difference between a 20" and 22" screen as there is between a 17" and 19". Take a look for yourself: http://tvcalculator.com/index.html?1d2c5a8bd6ebd4e96734adbb93ba8eff

Getting back onto the topic of this samsung, i'm really interested in this screen. Hopefully by next month i should be able to get this which will also give some more time for other reviews to come out and possibly even see a slight price drop (though i doubt it). Any opinions form those who already have one of these will be great :)

Man of Honour
mark1 said:
Yes, the 20" and 22" screens both share the same native resolution and yes, the 22" will be 'stretched' or less sharp than the 20".

However, 17" and 19" 5:4 tft's both share the same native resolution and i've never heard anyone complain about the sharpness of 19" tft's. I've used both 17" and 19" tft's and i honestly couldn't make out a difference in picture quality between the two.

Something else to note is that a 19" tft also has a lower pixel density than a 22" screen which means that there will be an even smaller difference between a 20" and 22" screen as there is between a 17" and 19". Take a look for yourself: http://tvcalculator.com/index.html?1d2c5a8bd6ebd4e96734adbb93ba8eff

Thanks Mark1.. I hear what you are saying and I wish I was convinced I really do but when I acquired a Samsung 225bw recently, I noticed jaggered images in CoH even with AA turn on 4x. The image just didn't look as crisp as I had imagined and test definately had a slight ghosting or blur. At £320, I didn't think it was justified over the clearer image of my CRT, so I thought I'd look at the 20" version.

Soldato
JaseUK said:
That is Booooooooooootiful, I was gonna get another 225BW but will wait for this beauty.

yeah, same here..... i was just about to pop down to my work, to get a 225BW for 269.99 (and -10% discount too...) before coming here to check up on its views by other members.... and now i see a 226BW? dam..... lol

whats the main differences between the two?

Associate
OP
NO 22INS monitors are anything other than TN at the moment :mad:

i want to buy this 226bw but nobody has it in stock.

i'll wait a little while for some reviews.

dis

dis

Associate
the general thinking goes that if it wasn't TN it'd be costing a fair bit more. Going to have to wait till monday to get my hands on i though :(

Soldato
What a loaf of guff!!!!!! :mad:

Looks like I'm gonna have to wait till the 28th to get mine :(

Will hardly be worth writing a review by then cause everyone will have theirs already lol. Gash.

Back
Top Bottom