***The Official Starfield Thread*** (As endorsed by TNA)

Soldato
The main issue I've struggled with with shipbuilding is getting parts to snap to the right place when there are two points close to each other.

For instance, I swapped out the hab on my ship for a longer one, but then I couldn't get the landing gears to snap to the right bit of the hull. There was a snap point for the top hab and the bottom hab, but it would only every snap to the lower one, which meant it was out of whack.

I just had to scrap that design in the end. Then I had the same problem with cargo containers - they'd only snap to one of the two points, but not the one I wanted. The only way I could solve that was to attach a smaller container to the point I didn't want it attached to, then get the one I wanted snapped where I wanted and then remove and delete the smaller one.

Such a faff.

Is there a method I'm missing to make the parts snap to adjacent points when they just don't want to?

If you use the R and F keys you can move up and down when doing the ship building, to make it easier to align stuff. More explained in this video by CohhCarnage. Hopefully I got it right where he explains it, if not it is at the 14:06 mark.

Soldato
The main issue I've struggled with with shipbuilding is getting parts to snap to the right place when there are two points close to each other.

For instance, I swapped out the hab on my ship for a longer one, but then I couldn't get the landing gears to snap to the right bit of the hull. There was a snap point for the top hab and the bottom hab, but it would only every snap to the lower one, which meant it was out of whack.

I just had to scrap that design in the end. Then I had the same problem with cargo containers - they'd only snap to one of the two points, but not the one I wanted. The only way I could solve that was to attach a smaller container to the point I didn't want it attached to, then get the one I wanted snapped where I wanted and then remove and delete the smaller one.

Such a faff.

Is there a method I'm missing to make the parts snap to adjacent points when they just don't want to?

There's a ship building tweak mod on Nexus, might be what you need.

Soldato

R and F to adjust what height snap point on the ship the thing you are attaching goes onto. But you can also just mouse over the point you want something to snap to and hit G to attach directly to there. It's still tempermental, and "features" like not being able to control where ladders are placed is annoying. But still, how many other games let you build a pretty unique spaceship? I'll take it for now!

Soldato
starting to annoy me now these glitches, all was fine now the latest is im unable to use my UC navy A Cargo ship at all:mad:, when i switch it to home ship it doesnt appear, or even worse i get a mess as pic,:cry: its starting to try my patience, tried everything, but its always the same, everything was fine, now unusable
Starfield-29-09-2023-00-08-43.png

Starfield-29-09-2023-00-03-57.png

:mad:

Associate
starting to annoy me now these glitches, all was fine now the latest is im unable to use my UC navy A Cargo ship at all:mad:, when i switch it to home ship it doesnt appear, or even worse i get a mess as pic,:cry: its starting to try my patience, tried everything, but its always the same, everything was fine, now unusable

:mad:
I had something similar happen to the Frontier - swapping out a part in the ship builder fixed it - maybe try that if you haven't already?

Soldato
I am going to give outpost building one last attempt on my NG+.

This time I am checking all the extractors are working when I build them before linking everything up we will see, I suspect I will still run into that bug where they just stop for no reason.

Does take a loooooong time finding the perfect locations on each planet, there is a trick where you need to land right on the edge of each biome, and infact when you walk around on the surface you can usually see a defined difference in colours etc on the ground. You walk along the edge of this border, with your outpost placement out, checking the avaiable resources. The trick is to find a spot that has 4 seperate resource types in one spot. I have heard its possible to find 5.

So far I have found 3 locations, all with 4 resources being extracted, or 12 in total for 3 outposts. There is a limit on how many outposts you can build, and obviously a lot of different resources needed so you really do need to try and be as efficient as possible finding those locations with 4 different types, but it takes aaaaaaaaaaaaaages.

I am doing another spreadsheet to keep everything listed when I build up some more locations I will list them all here.

Soldato
I am going to give outpost building one last attempt on my NG+.

This time I am checking all the extractors are working when I build them before linking everything up we will see, I suspect I will still run into that bug where they just stop for no reason.

Does take a loooooong time finding the perfect locations on each planet, there is a trick where you need to land right on the edge of each biome, and infact when you walk around on the surface you can usually see a defined difference in colours etc on the ground. You walk along the edge of this border, with your outpost placement out, checking the avaiable resources. The trick is to find a spot that has 4 seperate resource types in one spot. I have heard its possible to find 5.

So far I have found 3 locations, all with 4 resources being extracted, or 12 in total for 3 outposts. There is a limit on how many outposts you can build, and obviously a lot of different resources needed so you really do need to try and be as efficient as possible finding those locations with 4 different types, but it takes aaaaaaaaaaaaaages.

I am doing another spreadsheet to keep everything listed when I build up some more locations I will list them all here.
Gave it a quick try last night, on the power generators that need HE3 does that need to be on site as I cant seem to find a way to add it to the generator?

Associate
Gave it a quick try last night, on the power generators that need HE3 does that need to be on site as I cant seem to find a way to add it to the generator?
You need to create a gas container, fill it with He3 (or connect it to a harvester) and link it to the generator (create output link).

Before either of you invest too much time in outpost building I will warn you that it's essentially pointless as:

a) the outposts don't create anything you can't get just by exploring or (more expediently) purchasing.

and

b) unlike The Lodge, you have limited storage at outposts which makes having the volume of storage necessary to manage all your resources and actually build stuff a royal pain. Yes, it's doable, no - it's not fun.

I created a couple of outposts just to 'do it' but I don't feel all that compelled to do much else with them (same with housing) - if you can't carry everything around on your ship it just become an exercise in frustration - and if you *can* carry everything on your ship - well, then you don't really need an outpost.

If you're determined to give it a go - the following have some value (in order):

1) bounty terminal in neutral space (useful when you're on the run) - also, contraband storage
2) a bed - so you can get your 15% XP 'bonus' ;)
3) job boards
4) a large landing pad - you can edit/sell your ship(s) there and it unlocks a few things you might not find elsewhere (shielded storage)
5) industrial fabricators - each type can make a variety of items (you can choose what to make) and you don't need to mine the resources - you can just stick them in a linked container and it'll work just the same - can be useful for some hard-to-find crafting parts.
6) inter-system cargo transport - if you really want to take those missions, you can set this up linked to containers that you fill manually - it's fun to do once :)

None of the above actually require you to mine anything or transport resources (other than those needed to build them) so they're not too much of a time/resource sink.

Creating a network of harvesters shipping resources across the galaxy to a central base? Nah. It's possible, but there's zero real benefit.

Oh, and if you're going to try some of the above - do it on a planet without wildlife. You'll still have Spacers and Va'ruun show up from time-to-time to wreck it all, but not having the local fauna to deal with saves a *lot* of aggravation.

Last edited:
Soldato
You need to create a gas container, fill it with He3 (or connect it to a harvester) and link it to the generator (create output link).

Before either of you invest too much time in outpost building I will warn you that it's essentially pointless as:

a) the outposts don't create anything you can't get just by exploring or (more expediently) purchasing.

and

b) unlike The Lodge, you have limited storage at outposts which makes having the volume of storage necessary to manage all your resources and actually build stuff a royal pain. Yes, it's doable, no - it's not fun.

I created a couple of outposts just to 'do it' but I don't feel all that compelled to do much else with them (same with housing) - if you can't carry everything around on your ship it just become an exercise in frustration - and if you *can* carry everything on your ship - well, then you don't really need an outpost.
Cheers, pretty much the same as you where I just want to try it rather than need to.

Think I need to find a better planet anyway. I might just wait until I go to NG+ then try all the ship building and outpost stuff, no point doing it just to lose it.

Oh NG+....do I lose all of my credits when I restart?

Soldato
@Aegis

Cheers, yeah I have put quite a lot of hours intooutpost building in my first playthrough, but I run into a bug where a few of my extractors stopped working, for no reason. This then clogs up the chained containers with the working resources, for example if your producers needs 3 resources, 1 extractor stops, the producer runs out of the 1 resource and stops, the other 2 clog up the storage. This then gets pretty complicated when you have linked up several outspots in chains and the whole thing becomes a mess.

I am beter organised this time with my spreadsheet and checking everything carefully each stage.

I suspect though I will still run into the bug, there are posts on it on reddit with no real solution other than rebuild the extractor/power source, which is far from ideal and by the time you have realised all your chain is messed up, so a case of systematically going through the whole link, emptying all the containers etc just more hassle then its worth.

And yea, I am only doing it to see how far you can take it, I know there is no real in game benefit, but I've basically done everything else in the game.

I will hopefully, see how many of the exotic products I can get working automatically, just because "you can", I apprecaite there is little point really.

Associate
Cheers, yeah I have put quite a lot of hours intooutpost building in my first playthrough, but I run into a bug where a few of my extractors stopped working, for no reason. This then clogs up the chained containers with the working resources, for example if your producers needs 3 resources, 1 extractor stops, the producer runs out of the 1 resource and stops, the other 2 clog up the storage. This then gets pretty complicated when you have linked up several outspots in chains and the whole thing becomes a mess.

I am beter organised this time with my spreadsheet and checking everything carefully each stage.

I suspect though I will still run into the bug, there are posts on it on reddit with no real solution other than rebuild the extractor/power source, which is far from ideal and by the time you have realised all your chain is messed up, so a case of systematically going through the whole link, emptying all the containers etc just more hassle then its worth.

And yea, I am only doing it to see how far you can take it, I know there is no real in game benefit, but I've basically done everything else in the game.

I will hopefully, see how many of the exotic products I can get working automatically, just because "you can", I apprecaite there is little point really.
If you place your power source first then add whatever uses it (machines, turrets etc.) then they should automatically be powered *however* if you add and/or remove power sources then stuff gets unlinked - for my outpost I've had to manually link everything to the nuclear plant I built otherwise they don't seem to get power.

Also, check the 'integrity' of your power sources - they can be damaged by local fauna and raiders - had to repair my power plant a few times.

Caporegime
Starting to get a bit of lag when scoping out with weapons. Similar to the close scanner stutter that happened with the cutter equipped (which they claim to have fixed).

Pretty sure it hasn't always done this and has suddenly started happening.

Soldato
I'm starting to see more bugs as I get further in to the game and not funny ones like in Skyrim.

Stuff like NPCs inside walls, weird ship interior bugs. I saw a NPC outside on Titan dressed only in what looked like a lumberjack outfit, no space suit.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom