*** The Official Steam Deck Thread ***

Personally I wouldn't bother with emudeck. It will be far easier in the end if you learn linux, particularly Arch which is what SteamOS is based off.
Once you're comfortable, you'll be able to set everything up the way you like it and not have to settle for emudeck supplied defaults which aren't always the best for some systems.

Just go into desktop mode and download the emulators you want from the Discover store. This is where emudeck gets most of it's software from anyway. You may need to visit certain websites and download the Appimage version of emulators as one in particular (not saying here) plays much better than the flatpak version (which probably has debug procedures causing it to be slower).

For Cemu, their is no native linux build yet, although one is coming, hopefully this year. You will need to download the windows version and run it through Proton (or Wine, or a variant of it such as ge proton, or one of the lutris versions).

You should install decky loader (go for the pre-release version as it's actually more stable). Then I recommend 2 plugins:

VibrantDeck - this greatly improved colour saturation and contrast. Everything looks much better and much better than stock
Power Tools - this will allow you to reduce CPU threads. This is great for emulators which rely on higher clocks and fewer cores threads. Dolphin is a great example and you will easily see 60fps on everything.
Sorry what?

Dont listen to this person.

Emudeck is soo good. Stick with it and that's coming from a person that uses Linux as my daily driver for work, making money

Reactions: HRL
Emudeck is amazing, having never used Linux I was up and running in minutes, nice and friendly setup UI as well without any messing about. Really easy to get my games up and running, tried the rom manager but I didn't find that tool that great and it added way to much crap to the other games section of Steam. I just load up emulation station and load whatever I want from there, and using the scrapper tool makes it really easy to get the game thumbnails, description and a short gameplay video of each game. For my old games that I grew up with that's the best program I've used, such a simple and friendly UI as well.

Sorry what?

Dont listen to this person.

Emudeck is soo good. Stick with it and that's coming from a person that uses Linux as my daily driver for work, making money
I also use Linux daily but don't boast about making money from it.

The purpose of my post was to highlight the need to learn how to do things yourself. When something goes wrong and breaks (they will most definitely break with Linux), you're going to be in a better position to fix the problem. With respect to emudeck, it's an out-of-the-box solution. When the user wants better customisation, too bad they don't have the knowledge because they couldn't be bothered to learn something for themselves.

Emudeck is nothing more than a bunch of scripts that downloads software from the discover store and applies control schemes that may well not be to the user's liking. It's just a lazy way of settling something up.

I actually have a Linux certification but would much prefer to spend time playing retro games on the SteamDeck than faffing about with Linux.

Thanks for the tips but I’m just trying to get my old WiiU titles working.

The purpose of my post was to highlight the need to learn how to do things yourself. When something goes wrong and breaks (they will most definitely break with Linux), you're going to be in a better position to fix the problem. With respect to emudeck, it's an out-of-the-box solution. When the user wants better customisation, too bad they don't have the knowledge because they couldn't be bothered to learn something for themselves.

Emudeck is nothing more than a bunch of scripts that downloads software from the discover store and applies control schemes that may well not be to the user's liking. It's just a lazy way of settling something up.
If you do indeed use Linux then things don't just "break"

Again your asking someone to "learn Linux" just to play some emulator games..

There is quite frankly no need to. That's the whole point of the whole steam deck...

I actually have a Linux certification but would much prefer to spend time playing retro games on the SteamDeck than faffing about with Linux.

Thanks for the tips but I’m just trying to get my old WiiU titles working.
Well said. Exactly my point. Why faff about with it rather then clicking a few buttons and boom you're playing crazy taxi or Mario kart on you're switch?

As a heavy Linux user (Arch and Gentoo) with a little BSD thrown in occasionally, I agree. Not saying emudeck is bad, but it's far better to learn things for yourself because you'll make life much easier for yourself in the long run. Knowledge is power. When someone wants to venture into things outside of what emudeck offers such as running Need For Speed Underground - native pc version, this requires a bit of Linux knowledge. In addition: What is wine? What is proton, ge-proton? What is Lutris? What is a bottle? All this becomes clear through experimentation, and whilst someone may be happy with just emudeck, they're likely limiting themselves to what additional windows games they can run simply because they're always looking for an easy solution to something that wasn't hard to begin with.

If you do indeed use Linux then things don't just "break"

Again your asking someone to "learn Linux" just to play some emulator games..

There is quite frankly no need to. That's the whole point of the whole steam deck...
Things do break. Everything breaks, including Windows. If you don't think things break in Linux, then I reckon you're simply an end user of a Linux system who is nowhere near close to the metal.

Things do break. Everything breaks, including Windows. If you don't think things break in Linux, then I reckon you're simply an end user of a Linux system who is nowhere near close to the metal.
It seems SteamOS does indeed break if the posts on various Reddit threads are anything to go by. Too many opportunities to mess something up, unless someone doesn't even want to touch their deck. Once something goes wrong, they better have some Linux knowledge to fix things. I reckon most people probably re-image and has to end up re-installing everything when they could have probably fixed the problem had they have bothered to learn a thing or two.

I can’t seem to get WiiU titles working. Launch Emudeck and it can’t see the ROM’s.
You're not launching emudeck. You're launching Cemu that should have been installed by the emudeck script. Without seeing your system, I think this is what the other poster is hitting home about. It seems emudeck had screwed up the install. I'm assuming emudeck has installed cemu in its own prefix? Surely you'd just point the rom directory to where the roms are? Maybe you mean the steam rom manager isn't listing your Wiiu games? When you launch Cemu, are your games listed?

The steam deck is primarily about playing games on steam. SteamOS does the job very well. Most people will be happy that they can play their steam catalog on a device that claims to do just that. So you want games, you got games. No need to learn anything.

When people start messing about with things being run outside of steam, problems will come.

I watched a Youtuber explaining how after running Steam Rom Manager, he had to go into Steam to delete most of the games/ROMs because he only wanted a few Why not just set the few games up yourself then instead of wasting more time? YouTubers... you have to love them.

Well, my steam deck got to Evri Saturday. Now it's a delayed delivery due next working day.

I'm assuming at this point. It's gone "missing".

Have to wait a week and contact who I got the item from apparently.

Back
Top Bottom