*** The Official Steam Deck Thread ***

Finally had time to get the deck uboxed, currently charging up, first game I want to play through again is HL2, also loading up Bioshock / Portal, this thing is going to be superb for some old nostalgia back catalouge stuff. V happy with purchase, great bit of kit.

Planning to revisit older games shortly but currently playing Stray. Works really well on Steamdeck

First annoyance with the deck..

You cannot download games with the display turned off. >.<

An annoying workaround but it is possible. You have to go into Desktop mode and then open the standard desktop version of Steam - Then you can turn the screen off and downloads will continue

Absoloute blast I'm having with the deck, currently working my way through Black Mesa which is working reasonably well after some tweaks.

I'm then moving onto HL2 playthrough and all HL Episodes..

It makes PC gaming easy as heck and makes the difference as sometimes I'm sat at the PC all day so it's a great escape from KB & Mouse

Chuffed with it

Played through the opening sequence of FF7R - runs pretty well and looks great on the small screen. Finding some stuff quite cumbersome to install without a keyboard so ordered a usbc dock, got battle net and epic (heroic launcher) working so far.

I am looking the Deck, don't get me wrong. But I'm finding a lot of people in these posts are amazed that you can play your games anywhere.

I'm guessing most of you never tried cloud gaming!

GTA5 installed via EPIC (Herioc) and a bit of faff with the Rockstar Launcher. Game refuses to run in full screen mode but works fine in borderless windowed. Not major overall just a tad odd. Ended up locking the Vync to half to get a locked 30FPS which feels a lot better than leaving it uncapped. Need to play around with the different options both in Heroic and the game to see if more performance is possible.

Also installed Orgin and then realised all the games I want to play are via my EA Play sub as part of Gamepass Ultimate. Origin just wanted me to sign up to EA Play (same account), so either I did something wrong or the account link doesn't work in Origin - been so long since I have used it). Will do some more research and digging.

I am looking the Deck, don't get me wrong. But I'm finding a lot of people in these posts are amazed that you can play your games anywhere.

I'm guessing most of you never tried cloud gaming!
Cloud gaming is not the amazing thing, it is having a pc in handhold factor at a reasonable cost that is the amazing thing.

Played the demos of resi 3 and resident evil village.

Then went back to rocket League which now needs an update but doesn't update. So need to look into that.

Purchased resi 3 not played yet though.

Also installed Orgin and then realised all the games I want to play are via my EA Play sub as part of Gamepass Ultimate. Origin just wanted me to sign up to EA Play (same account), so either I did something wrong or the account link doesn't work in Origin - been so long since I have used it). Will do some more research and digging.

I think the EA play titles part of gamepass have to be installed via the Xbox app as part of some authentication chain, the deck does not have the xbox app. Might be mistaken :confused:

Received mine last week! Awesome to play games like GTA 4 everywhere.
The battery is a bit of an issue however (2hours on games like Hitman 2 for example).

Still a great purchase!

You can always have a mess around with the TDP settings to increase battery life. Won't help if you need the performance offered by the max 15W mind.

As an example I have found ME2 (original) can run at a locked 60FPS with TDP set to 6w - at least in the opening parts of the game anyway. Battery was reporting roughly 3:30 left @ ~85%.

I think the EA play titles part of gamepass have to be installed via the Xbox app as part of some authentication chain, the deck does not have the xbox app. Might be mistaken :confused:

That is most likely the case as I know I use the EA App on my main desktop.

Will give Xcloud a go when I get around to installing Edge in desktop mode and adding the non-steam app.

Just loving the tinkering aspect of the console. So many options available to push every last ounce of performance to get a game running / running well. Reminds me of my old Alienware M11x which I pin modded, overclocked (GT335m @ 100% OC) and tweaked the nuts off to get BF3 running @ ~30FPS.

Love it :)

I've ended up selling mine to a mate, I just found so many PC things I wanted to play didn't work and I ended up playing more emulation on it than anything else, most of which I can do on other devices.
Really nice bit of kit and I'll keep a close eye on any future variant of it.

Has anyone had any issues with resolution on any games?

I had an issue with mine becoming unresponsive (10+ minutes to uninstall a game) and mid-race on Circuit Superstars the screen became very pixellated and unreadable - I've followed the Steam advice and "re-imaged" my unit but even with a completely fresh installation, the game still has the same issue!?!?

I've tried setting the resolution in the properties but no matter what I try, it just doesn't make any difference!

I put a deposit down on the weekend with an expected delivery between October and December, I haven’t been keeping up with delivery dates, but what’s the average turn around time from getting an email to confirm purchase?

Back
Top Bottom