*** The Official Steam Deck Thread ***

I have the Wavlink 13 in 1 USB-c dock. A bit pricey at £50 compared to some docks but I wanted the 3 video outs and Ethernet.
Is something like this OK? USB C Hub, atolla 7-in-1 Type C Hub with 4K HDMI Adapter, 100W Power Delivery Port, 3 USB 3.0 Ports, SD/TF Card Reader, USB C Multiport Adapter for MacBook Pro Air, Surface Pro, iPad Pro, XPS and more https://amzn.eu/8fCkPLH

I would look for something like the Anker 7 in 1 dock if you don't need multiple screen outputs. I note a few people in the reviews for the one you linked stating it doesn't work (or work well?) with the Steam Deck.

I would recommend doing some research online before hitting the go button to find the one that works for your best. For example: https://www.pcgamesn.com/steam-deck/best-dock-usb-c-hub.

I'm oddly enjoying using this as a desktop replacement more than I thought, as long as it's not for work for most games and personal stuff it's been running completely fine. I'm surprised the dock I have can even push 1440p at 120Hz (144Hz fails), and I can keep the Deck's screen on for things like Discord/etc while I game.

Need to get a dock with an inbuilt ethernet jack though, the one I bought for my Switch (ugreen gigabit) is very finicky with the Deck, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

Ended up running Destiny 2 on the Deck docked for over an hour after constant crashes on my desktop (turns out its a driver bug so hopefully the *older* driver fixes that..). Framerates generally in the 35-50 range at 1600x900 with no drops below 30 even with crazy stuff going off on screen (playing the latest 6 person activity). Obviously doesn't look as good or run as well as my desktop but I was at least able to play for longer than 5 minutes without being booted to the desktop.

Now if Bungo could stop being utterly useless for more than 5 minutes maybe they could work with Valve to get the game running on Steam OS. Also just maybe utilise FSR / FSR2.0 like everyone else is doing to improve framerates on lower end hardware. Mind you considering how long it took them to get RDNA2 to even function properly in the game (months of having a RX6800 that was a stuttery mess) I won't hold my breath.

EDIT: Also as an update on running Win 11 from a (decent) SD card. Well, it runs perfectly fine as long as you don't hit the IO too hard. Games take longer to load but are generally fine once fully loaded. I did notice some stuttering in D2 (second install to the above which is on an external SSD) which went away after around 5-10 seconds of loading in. I wouldn't want to run Windows off of an SD card for day to day use but for the odd game here an there (see Bungo uesless above) then its fine.

Last edited:
Just got the email from Steam saying my order's ready. Surprised it was so quick because I ordered on 4th July, was expecting to wait at least another month.

Anyway, all purchased and now I'm excited :D

Just got the email from Steam saying my order's ready. Surprised it was so quick because I ordered on 4th July, was expecting to wait at least another month.

Anyway, all purchased and now I'm excited :D
I should be getting my email thursday then getmydeck says im at 95% i ordered mine on 30th july

I spent a frustrating 30 minutes trying to play "There is no Game" (which is great by the way) using the touchpads. Just couldn't do anything accurately or grab moving objects and was on the verge of ragequitting. Then I remembered the deck has a touchscreen. What a tit. :cry::cry:

I spent a frustrating 30 minutes trying to play "There is no Game" (which is great by the way) using the touchpads. Just couldn't do anything accurately or grab moving objects and was on the verge of ragequitting. Then I remembered the deck has a touchscreen. What a tit. :cry::cry:
Hohoho, I did similar with batman. I couldn't figure out how to navigate the first menu, I had a Google and tried different proton installs, then suddenly had a light bulb moment. Felt very silly

So far I'm loving the deck for what I bought it for which is to play back log games I'd never play on my main PC like Prince of Persia Sands Of Time etc.

It's the ultimate nostalgia, back catalogue basher.

I'm working my way through stuff I'd never have replayed again on the PC.

Incredible value machine, no need to buy a load of modern catalogue for it. This thing excels with older AAA stuff for that relaxing PC gaming nostalgia hit.

Well worth the cash

Back
Top Bottom