*** The Official Steam Deck Thread ***

No, I have Win 11 installed on both a SD card (in the SD card slot of the Deck itself) and on an external SSD accessed when in Docked mode. I only have Win 11 installed for the games which don't run on Steam OS (Destiny 2 mainly).

I followed this guide for the process (works for either SD card or USB stick pen / External USB SSD): https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/how-to-install-windows-steam-deck/

(Note: In Rufus you may need to hit Alt+F to get the External SSD to show up as mine didn't originally).

Once you have the install ready on the Drive (SD or USB) the process once booted on the Steam deck is basically the same as any other Windows install. Note, you will have to enter the boot menu (Hold down volume down and Power at the same time until you hear the beep chime) every time Windows does a restart (well technically you will need to shutdown the Steamdeck and then access the boot menu as it restarts directly to Steam OS by default). I am sure I saw someone post earlier in the thread (@Rilot perhaps?) about getting the USB drive to be detected on initial boot so it doesn't do this but I didn't want/need to look into that for my use.
Thank you, this is very helpful. I like playing games on stadia, ps remote and xbox cloud. Do I need windows for this?

Thank you, this is very helpful. I like playing games on stadia, ps remote and xbox cloud. Do I need windows for this?

No. You just need Chrome or Edge installed. If you stay in Game Mode on the deck, go to library, Non-Steam games, it'll prompt you to install Chrome.

Got to say I'm surprised you don't know that all you need is a browser if you play on Stadia.

No, I have Win 11 installed on both a SD card (in the SD card slot of the Deck itself) and on an external SSD accessed when in Docked mode. I only have Win 11 installed for the games which don't run on Steam OS (Destiny 2 mainly).

I followed this guide for the process (works for either SD card or USB stick pen / External USB SSD): https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/how-to-install-windows-steam-deck/

(Note: In Rufus you may need to hit Alt+F to get the External SSD to show up as mine didn't originally).

Once you have the install ready on the Drive (SD or USB) the process once booted on the Steam deck is basically the same as any other Windows install. Note, you will have to enter the boot menu (Hold down volume down and Power at the same time until you hear the beep chime) every time Windows does a restart (well technically you will need to shutdown the Steamdeck and then access the boot menu as it restarts directly to Steam OS by default). I am sure I saw someone post earlier in the thread (@Rilot perhaps?) about getting the USB drive to be detected on initial boot so it doesn't do this but I didn't want/need to look into that for my use.
You are correct it was me. In the BIOS you can set external devices to boot first. I have this set so that when I attach my USB SSD with Windows on, all I need to do is re-boot the deck and I'm in Windows. Shut windows down and remove the USB SSD, switch on and I'm back in SteamOS.

Saying that though, I haven't used Windows on the deck for weeks.

Mine arrived yesterday, havent really had much chance to test it, but i'm already thinking of the 1tb ssd upgrade even though I have a 1tb sd card too, tried f12021 and was pretty pleased how that worked, going on holiday next month so will probably get some use then

They are definitely getting orders fulfilled much faster. I ordered a 512GB unit 1st Aug and got the payment email last night. I wasn't expecting to see it until Dec tbh.

Last edited:
Updated the Beta client as I read it fixed the SD Card formatting that I was having an issue with.

It still says it fails the format but it seems to work. Transferred Crash Trilogy onto it and it seems to load fine.

It's an incredibly capable device, though I think I prefer older games or at least less 'busy' games as my older eyes find it a bit of a strain with the small details on the more recent games.

Retro style games like Pacman Championship Edition and Geometry wars look amazing. The screen is really vibrant and bright.

Incredible that I can take a large slice of my steam library wherever I go now.

Back
Top Bottom