*** The Official Steam Deck Thread ***

There are a few ways to run epic games on steam deck. Heroic Games launcher and Lutris are the most common I've seen. I didn't get on with heroic for epic stuff, though it worked great for me with my gog games. Lutris has worked great for me with Epic games so far though
Exactly my experience. Heroic works fine for GOG, and unless I missed a trick, I couldn't get it to install the Epic Games Launcher program? I can login to the Epic webpage and buy games but not install as it requires the launcher. Tried downloading the Epic Launcher in Heroic and nothing happened.

Whereas switching to Lutris, it will allow you to install the Epic Launcher and games to your Deck. Just picked a random game and its installing Snow Runner as we speak. :)

I'm using heroic for epic fine, however when I first tried I had somehow gone to the login (backup option) page and when clicking the link nothing happened. I randomly got to the proper screen and logged in with no issues.

For me it had worked when I first tried it with epic games, but after an update it refused to start downloading them, and would get wierd errors any time I tried ro run one. After a day or so of poking at it I gave up and tried lutris and thats been perfect for me.

As I understand it heroic has to deal with epics api which epic has a habit of messing around with so its often a game of catch up any time there's an update. So for all I know my heroic is working fine with epic now. But not had a single issue using lutris

Has anyone had issues with thumbsticks? My right one 50% of the time 'catches' on something if moved from left to right, feels like a spring or something. Happens randomly, can stop and start from one movement to the next :/

Has anyone had issues with thumbsticks? My right one 50% of the time 'catches' on something if moved from left to right, feels like a spring or something. Happens randomly, can stop and start from one movement to the next :/

It's a common issue. The stick grinds against the socket rim. You can clean the stick stem to make it better but it should wear in over time. I had the same issue and now it's almost gone.
Some people put silicone bands over the stick stems to protect them.

I'd seen reports of that but can't figure out if that's the case here, I can't see how it is hitting the rim.

When moving from just over halfway from the left to right when it hits the midway mark there is a springy click and a tiny bit of feedback, is that what the issue is?

I bought a relatively cheap USBC hub with HDMI out so I could more easily use the deck in desktop mode to set emulators up.

I'm very impressed. I thought the deck would switch off its screen and just use the external monitor, but instead it adds it as a second monitor by default.

It really does show that the deck is a full PC when you use it on a monitor with keyboard and mouse. It's far, far easier to do installs and file manipulation like that.

It's not going to replace my windows laptop as a portable PC for doing non-gaming stuff, but it's great to know it can do that.

I'd seen reports of that but can't figure out if that's the case here, I can't see how it is hitting the rim.

When moving from just over halfway from the left to right when it hits the midway mark there is a springy click and a tiny bit of feedback, is that what the issue is?

Ah that might be another issue where the wire for the thumbstick touch sensor is getting caught. Probably an RMA issue unless you're comfortable opening the deck up to fix it.

Civ6 is one of the first things I installed on mine just to compare to my Mac’s I normally play it on! Once you get your head around the control scheme (left click is basically left hand does something which is strange) it plays really well and copes with a decent range of mods, been taken out this evening so I’m only half way through my first proper game so not 100% what the end game chug is like on it :D

Turns out it’s all good for civ5 but 3 heads down an old bug from wine with the audio getting stuck (nightmares from 15 years ago), but yeah it’s a solid way to game 4X titles

The one that surprised me most was Farcry, no idea how many setups I’ve tried to get that to run stably over the years and this did it almost instantly!!

It’s been fun explaining to the gf quite why this is so cool…
Curse you, now I'm hooked on Civ 6 again!! I never even thought about running it, but it runs great.
Also running through Dead Space, for some reason I never bothered with it when I picked it up all those years ago. It looks fantastic. Just love how convenient the deck is.
Only really had issues with a few games, cannot get Witcher (1st) running at all. Got it on gog and trying through Heroic but no luck

Curse you, now I'm hooked on Civ 6 again!! I never even thought about running it, but it runs great.
Also running through Dead Space, for some reason I never bothered with it when I picked it up all those years ago. It looks fantastic. Just love how convenient the deck is.
Only really had issues with a few games, cannot get Witcher (1st) running at all. Got it on gog and trying through Heroic but no luck

Try some of the tinker steps on there. Plenty of people have it working so you should be able to get it going :)

Have to say I love mine, using it all the time. So easy just to pick it up and play. One example was when cooking my kids dinner, had a quick game while waiting on it cooking, so much easier than pc for that and so getting more gaming in now. The emudeck software for me is amazing, works so well on everything I've tried so far.

My wife is starting to complain I'm spending too much time on my deck. So much easier to play a PC game anytime.

I've got totally addicted to Fallout 3. Haven't played that since the last DLC came out.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom