*** The Official Steam Deck Thread ***

Does this work on steamdeck?

There are a few ways to run epic games on steam deck. Heroic Games launcher and Lutris are the most common I've seen. I didn't get on with heroic for epic stuff, though it worked great for me with my gog games. Lutris has worked great for me with Epic games so far though

How are the SD cards for use on these?

I am looking at maybe buying a deck (Pre-ordered but didn't proceed last time) - but finding it hard to justify a £1/£200 difference between the models, what is the 'real world' difference like when gaming, if using the eMMC + Micro SD over say the 256/512gb nvme model?

With 512GB micro-sds being around £35 at times, £385ish seems a lot nicer than £569, but obviously not worth it if the performance is rubbish (Don't really care about time to write to the card, just performance when using the deck when playing)

Last edited:
yeah, SD performance is close enough to internal as to make no practial difference. Though its worth noting that it can be a bit more fiddly to install non steam games to the SD card. Its doable, but tends to be a few more steps to get set up and working. Not a huge issue, but if you do play a lot of non steam games and aren't super comfortable tweaking things its worth factoring into your decision

Last edited:
How are the SD cards for use on these?

I am looking at maybe buying a deck (Pre-ordered but didn't proceed last time) - but finding it hard to justify a £1/£200 difference between the models, what is the 'real world' difference like when gaming, if using the eMMC + Micro SD over say the 256/512gb nvme model?

With 512GB micro-sds being around £35 at times, £385ish seems a lot nicer than £569, but obviously not worth it if the performance is rubbish (Don't really care about time to write to the card, just performance when using the deck when playing)

I'm in the same boat. The thing holding me back the most wasn't actually the performance difference, which I knew was minimal at best.....it was more the fact there are a lot of games which won't work on steamos. If I was going the windows route, I'd probably get the nvme drive and go 100% windows.....but then I miss out on all the benefits and ease of use of steamos.

Now I'm 99% going steamos and forgetting about the games which won't work. Fifa is a pain though!

64gb+512gb sdcard is great value imho.

If they do the £32 samsung offer again that's my mind made up.

Last edited:
I've also read some games/applications like to install stuff to the internal memory with no Micro SD option so 64GB can get pretty tight in that regard too. That's what I'm telling myself to justify the 256GB model I bought anyway :p.

yeah, SD performance is close enough to internal as to make no practial difference. Though its worth noting that it can be a bit more fiddly to install non steam games to the SD card. Its doable, but tends to be a few more steps to get set up and working. Not a huge issue, but if you do play a lot of non steam games and aren't super comfortable tweaking things its worth factoring into your decision

Except when you run into anything io intensive such as updating/decrypting/unpacking games then watch that SD card crawl. 2230 256's were going for £20 last month.

A colleague has just got the 256gb and we compared it to my 512gb version, and the 512gb screen is noticeably less reflective. It's definitely worth having, but of course that depends if you think it's worth the extra money. The 512gb version's case is nicer too, with better materials and a better finish, and you get a pouch for your charger and/or earbuds that must be worth at least 50p. :D

I bought the 512gb because frankly I'm not happy opening up a brand new device to install a better SSD, just in case I break it. I prefer having the extra memory and a premium screen built in rather than faffing about upgrading it later.

I'm happy to pay a premium for convenience, but I understand if others would rather spend less and upgrade it themselves.

I think It's only worth getting the 64gb version if you are going to upgrade the SSD as currently all the shader and compatibility files are saved for each game on the internal SSD, and that can take up quite a bit of space. You can end up not being able to install games on an SD card because your internal SSD is full.

Last edited:
I got the 64gb, bought a 2230 256gb for £17.50 and installed it. Added a 256gb SD card and I reckon that's plenty.

Still saved a fortune over the higher models.

As for heroic with an sd card, you just need to change the install path to the SD (don't recall what it is but it's easily found) so it's not a big issue.

I got the 64gb, bought a 2230 256gb for £17.50 and installed it. Added a 256gb SD card and I reckon that's plenty.

Still saved a fortune over the higher models.

As for heroic with an sd card, you just need to change the install path to the SD (don't recall what it is but it's easily found) so it's not a big issue.
Having read the replies I'm gonna do this option, thanks all :D

I have to say that I was sceptical of a hand held PC with small screen and medicore performance. But having messed about usng the 512 GB model, I am a convert. It lets me play the majority of my steam library very well indeed for a hand held.

If I were getting one for myself (this 512GB is my son's Xmas gift), I would get the 64GB and simply and an SD. I just would not want to risk voiding any warranties for about 10 seconds quicker load times. I tested gaming on an SD using Elden Ring and it ran perfectly fine other than the longer times.

I did like the reduced glare of the 512GB model compared to before and after I put a screen protector on it. Not worth the difference on it's own but certainly something to consider.

All in all a very impressive device and even the 512GB is just good VFM as a hand help PC gaming device. The 64GB and a 256GB SD would be a perfect combo if you are not dead set on max graphics on the latest AAA games.

Last edited:
Apologies, in advance, I am not the smartest.

What is the benefit of the Proton DB, what does it allow me to do?

Appreciate any help.

Thanks
Simplistically it translates the windows stuff to be able to run on steamos/Linux. New versions have new fixes for greater compatibility.

Or do you mean the protondb website?

Last edited:
Apologies, in advance, I am not the smartest.

What is the benefit of the Proton DB, what does it allow me to do?

Appreciate any help.

Thanks
The default version of proton in steam OS isn't always the most upto date, it lets to download differnt versions to try for games that aren't playing nice with the steam deck

Back
Top Bottom